Wireless Android Auto - What Am I Doing Wrong?

John Wick

May 12, 2022
Spec, I have the latest 1896 software, car was registered 30/11/2020. I have a Note 20 Ultra, with integrated AA.

Can I get wireless AA to function... No!

I was under the impression the latest 1896 update bought wireless AA to my version of car, in regards to the original build date.

AA works fine on a cable, but when cable is removed from the device, connection drops. Do I need to have set it up in a certain way, as I keep seeing posts of phones of an older generation working, the only thing I can think of is they are 2021 onwards and hence wireless AA from the beginning and the 1896 update has in fact not given me the functionality?

If someone would Kindly provide the walk through who have a vehicle that is of a 2020 variant it would be appreciated.

I am based in the UK.

Many thanks

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
I couldn't get wireless AA working with a Pixel 2 even though it should have worked but works fine since I changed to a Pixel 5.

I have forgotten what happens when you set it up but is it definitely connected via Bluetooth and WiFi as I think it uses both for the connection.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2021
Yes, you need to connect you mobile to the infotainment WiFi, and bluetooth as well.

Mine was updated, but the dealer forgot to enable WiFi 5g on the infotainment , as well as allow android auto instead of usb connection.

Try to connect you mobile to another infotainment where it works android auto, and check. I did it, because I thought it could be the mobile, but worked perfectly.

You only need android auto in your mobile, not android auto for mobiles, are different.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9 Pro mediante Tapatalk

John Wick

May 12, 2022
Apologies, but I don't quite understand what you mean in regards to the infotainment wifi set up.

Nov 18, 2021
Apologies, but I don't quite understand what you mean in regards to the infotainment wifi set up.
You have to share the infotainment WiFi, and connect the mobile to this wifi.
It's needed by Android auto to work.

John Wick

May 12, 2022
Nope. Still no luck.

Here's whats going on.

Phone hotspot is on and car WiFi is connected to this hotspot.
Phone is connected to the car by Bluetooth and connected to Infotainment WiFi.

When I do this my phone shows the WiFi connected symbol.... But with the exclamation mark, dictating no Internet.

It's a lot of effort compared to a single cable. But...... I want the option.

Last edited:

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
I am not sure if it will make a difference but you don't need the car connecting to your phone hotspot, just the phone connecting to the car and it's WiFi signal.

Reactions: Cuprakash

John Wick

May 12, 2022
I am not sure if it will make a difference but you don't need the car connecting to your phone hotspot, just the phone connecting to the car and it's WiFi signal.

How would the car then get its data connection?

Nov 18, 2021
You need to connect your phone to the infotainment hotspot, not the reverse.

John Wick

May 12, 2022
You need to connect your phone to the infotainment hotspot, not the reverse.

So connect my phone to the Infotainment hotspot, disable the phone hotspot.

How does the cupra system obtain its data connection? Does it achieve it somehow via the link, from the phone to the Infotainment system?

Do i still require it to be connected by Bluetooth as well?

Sorry for all the questions

ClusterPutt

May 29, 2022
Helensburgh
I had a similar issue with my VW Arteon. Try this;

On your phone turn on location, Bluetooth and WiFi. Disable hotspot. On the car, go into AA settings and the phone should be visible. Select connect via AA (not mirrorlink) from the infotainment system.

The car uses WiFi and Bluetooth to connect your phone, and the phone essentially becomes the Internet link is my understanding. I have used mine for a year and a half and have never noticed any usage of data etc if you're concerned about that

John Wick

May 12, 2022
I had a similar issue with my VW Arteon. Try this;

On your phone turn on location, Bluetooth and WiFi. Disable hotspot. On the car, go into AA settings and the phone should be visible. Select connect via AA (not mirrorlink) from the infotainment system.

The car uses WiFi and Bluetooth to connect your phone, and the phone essentially becomes the Internet link is my understanding. I have used mine for a year and a half and have never noticed any usage of data etc if you're concerned about that
Do I still connect the phone to the Infotainment system hotspot?

ClusterPutt

May 29, 2022
Helensburgh
No, don't connect your phone to anything, just enable Wi-Fi Bluetooth and location. Then use the infotainment screen to select Android Auto, the on your phone you should get a pop up saying something like activate AA or AA enabled. Then it should all sync up and work properly

ClusterPutt

May 29, 2022
Helensburgh
Also make sure you have a good signal reception in the area when you're trying to connect, if you have poor or no mobile signal that can throw the system off and give you errors

John Wick

May 12, 2022
No, don't connect your phone to anything, just enable Wi-Fi Bluetooth and location. Then use the infotainment screen to select Android Auto, the on your phone you should get a pop up saying something like activate AA or AA enabled. Then it should all sync up and work properly
Still no luck. Nothing appears in the AA screen. I will try one last time and remove all current Connections and phones etc

Enable as you say above and see what happens.

ClusterPutt

May 29, 2022
Helensburgh
Let us know how it goes! The only other thig I can think of is you might have to add your car to your bluetooth as a device if you haven't already

John Wick

May 12, 2022
Fingers crossed. I do have a aa wireless due anytime soon. Plus cable isn't exactly a hardship

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
If it helps, I had a Formentor for a few hours yesterday. I just connected my phone to bluetooth and android auto worked wirelessly, was a big selling point for me :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members