Wireless Apple Carplay

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Hi,

Just wanted to understand how to connect it wirelessly (Apple Carplay)... I did not manage, althou it says it should work... everything work properly but this one I couldn't make it work.

If anyone knows the steps really appreciate it (what is written in the manual does not work for me or at least how is translated into my language). Of course I am referring to the MK4 Leon.

Thanks,

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
It works for some years, I can use it on cable but not wirelessly that was my question... if it works on cable how can I do it wirelessly and from the manual I did not understand... but I think it has to do with having some data plans contracted from Cubic/Seat and then connect to the wifi hotspot of the car and in this case that’s it I will not contract any monthly payment just not to have a cable.

Deleted member 123864

Perhaps it f you told us exactly what happens when you try to connect, we might be able to assist you.

DanMn

Nov 26, 2020
You need to connect using a cable the first time, then assuming WiFi is turned on on the phone it should then connect wirelessly in future.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
You need to connect using a cable the first time, then assuming WiFi is turned on on the phone it should then connect wirelessly in future.

I didn’t use a cable at all when setting mine up.

My iPhone connected straight away to the vehicle and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Strange... it worked with the cable but when I took it out didn't work at all, it s like the car didn't know at all that it had a carplay connection with my phone. Anyway will read some more... what is a bit blurry to me is that on your phone's wifi did you select the car's hotspot or different ?

Apr 2, 2021
Hello,

I have the same problem, I cannot use CarPlay Wireless in my Leon using an iPhone 12 (iOS 14.4.2 - latest version available).

I can/did:
  • Use Carplay using the usb-c -> lighting cable
  • Pair the phone to the car using bluetooth, and it works nicely (only calls/audio/SMS/few more things)
  • After bluetooth pairing, the phone asks if I want to use Wireless CarPlay (I select Yes)
  • In the phone, in CarPlay menu, the car is detected as registered with CarPlay On
  • In the phone, in BT menu, inside the BT connection to the car, the CarPlay toggle is On
  • I deleted all the connections several times from both the car + the phone and retried the pairing
  • I tried to reset the infotainment system (both through Settings + also using the keep-holding-the-power-button trick)
  • I tried to pair using either only Bluetooth (and it asks me if I want to use CarPlay), and also using the usb-c cable
  • I followed the instructions in the Seat Leon manual word by word various times (using either the usb-c cable or bluetooth where given the option)
I can't:
  • Use CarPlay in Wireless mode with the car
  • It never detects a possible CarPlay connection:
    • Inside the Full Link app, Apple CarPlay is always grey, even if connected through Bluetooth
So it clearly seems I am either missing some crucial step or my unit has some bug...
  • Is eSim package necessary? I don't have one / haven't activated it yet
  • I haven't finished setting up my Seat ID, is it necessary?
Whatever tips are welcome, as I've already spent several hours trying to get this to work!

Thanks!

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Hello,

I have the same problem, I cannot use CarPlay Wireless in my Leon using an iPhone 12 (iOS 14.4.2 - latest version available).

I can/did:
  • Use Carplay using the usb-c -> lighting cable
  • Pair the phone to the car using bluetooth, and it works nicely (only calls/audio/SMS/few more things)
  • After bluetooth pairing, the phone asks if I want to use Wireless CarPlay (I select Yes)
  • In the phone, in CarPlay menu, the car is detected as registered with CarPlay On
  • In the phone, in BT menu, inside the BT connection to the car, the CarPlay toggle is On
  • I deleted all the connections several times from both the car + the phone and retried the pairing
  • I tried to reset the infotainment system (both through Settings + also using the keep-holding-the-power-button trick)
  • I tried to pair using either only Bluetooth (and it asks me if I want to use CarPlay), and also using the usb-c cable
  • I followed the instructions in the Seat Leon manual word by word various times (using either the usb-c cable or bluetooth where given the option)
I can't:
  • Use CarPlay in Wireless mode with the car
  • It never detects a possible CarPlay connection:
    • Inside the Full Link app, Apple CarPlay is always grey, even if connected through Bluetooth
So it clearly seems I am either missing some crucial step or my unit has some bug...
  • Is eSim package necessary? I don't have one / haven't activated it yet
  • I haven't finished setting up my Seat ID, is it necessary?
Whatever tips are welcome, as I've already spent several hours trying to get this to work!

Thanks!

You need to connect to the WiFi hotspot not the Bluetooth connection

Reactions: marscosta
Apr 2, 2021
You need to connect to the WiFi hotspot not the Bluetooth connection
Just tried it, did not work as well.

The thing is, the car sort of detects the wireless CarPlay, as in the Phone menu (green icon) it gives me the option of choosing either BT or CarPlay, but after tapping the Apple CarPlay button (inside the Phone screen) it redirects me to the Full Link screen, and there the Apple CarPlay option is disabled... Also, in the Devices screen, my phone appears with the small CarPlay icon in Orange (and BT Phone / audio white), but when I tap it it becomes disabled and can’t enable again...

Any tips?

Apr 2, 2021
A follow up question: is Wireless CarPlay only available in Leon models with Wireless charging? Or are the two technologies separate?

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2021
Completely separate
I thought so, as it makes perfect technological sense to be separate (unless a specific block was imposed by Seat in software/hardware).

I asked because I contacted my Seat center (where I picked up my Leon last week) about the issue, hopefully they would tell me to go there and they would configure/fix my Wireless CarPlay issue, but the guy that took my call said that Wireless CarPlay would only work if the wireless charger was there (I don't have the Qi charger feature). I didn't press it much as I don't know much about Seat/Infotainement inner workings/blocks/rules, although in my head it made no sense.

So I'm kind of blocked now, as I can't get the phone to connect by Wireless CarPlay and I guess I can't get help from the Seat center (well, not from the specific guy at least).

Any idea on a specific argument I can make over the phone so they can see me?
Other than "I think it makes no sense for Wireless CarPlay to be tied to the Qi charger, and someone on the internet told me the same" ;)

In any case, thanks all for the help so far.

Apr 2, 2021
Some pictures of my issue, showing one of the times the Infotainment actually detects Wireless CarPlay, but doesn't work:
  • Screen 1 -> I tap the "Phone" icon on the taskbar, and it detects that the phone can both connect using Bluetooth or CarPlay (good!) - this is fully wireless
    • The same exact screen appears if the phone is connected by Cable.
    • Notice that the full link icon on the taskbar never changes to the CarPlay green icon (which only happens if connected using Cable)
  • Screen 1 to 2 -> I tap "Apple CarPlay" on screen 1 (green rectangle), and it sends me to screen 2 (Full Link app)
    • Here, "Apple CarPlay" is disabled, so I cannot tap it... (using Cable, only "Apple CarPlay" appears and can be selected, other options disappear)
    • Full Link Icon in the taskbar is always "not connected" (I know it should change because it does if connected using Cable)
  • Screen 2 to 3 -> In "Full link" app, I tap Settings, browse to devices, and it shows my device, supposedly connected to CarPlay! But not really
    • This screen is the same as if connected using Cable
    • Tapping the green rectangle in Screen 3 will "turn off" CarPlay, and it cannot be turned on again (in Wireless mode, using Cable it can be connected again)
  • Screen 4 -> My SW version
This screen 1 rarely happens (I cannot successfully reproduce it on demand), most of the time the "Apple Carplay" icon in Screen 1 is never recognised.

jrjK6Y9.png

Here is my phone successfully connecting, detecting CarPlay, and has CarPlay On in both the Bluetooth connection and Settings -> General -> CarPlay:

sl-wireless-carplay-2.png

Jun 7, 2021
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a new Seat Leon eHybrid (Xcellence, so with the larger 10" infotainment screen).

I am trying to find out, please could someone with any 2020+ Leon with the larger screen on the latest software take a photo of CarPlay running on the screen? I just want to see how large the CarPlay window is, and whether it takes up most of the screen.

The only thing I can find online is this image, where the CarPlay window is very much reduced. However, I believe there has since been a software update and I think the CarPlay window is now a lot closer to full screen. Please can someone send a photo so I can see what it looks like? Wired or wireless are both fine.

I use CarPlay a lot so it's a big factor for me.
Carplay Leon small window.PNG

Apr 2, 2021
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a new Seat Leon eHybrid (Xcellence, so with the larger 10" infotainment screen).

I am trying to find out, please could someone with any 2020+ Leon with the larger screen on the latest software take a photo of CarPlay running on the screen? I just want to see how large the CarPlay window is, and whether it takes up most of the screen.

The only thing I can find online is this image, where the CarPlay window is very much reduced. However, I believe there has since been a software update and I think the CarPlay window is now a lot closer to full screen. Please can someone send a photo so I can see what it looks like? Wired or wireless are both fine.

I use CarPlay a lot so it's a big factor for me. View attachment 25000
I have a 2020 Leon with the 10" screen and latest update (you can see my posts above), and CarPlay shows exactly like that, reduced and nowhere near full-screen :(

Jun 7, 2021
Thanks very much for the reply!

It's weird because I have just this evening had a dealer contact me and send me a picture of CarPlay that they tried on a 2021 Leon today. It's full screen and looks great, not windowed except for a small strip on one side (not both sides). This also matches my previous experience of testing a 2021 Formentor in the UK -- full screen CarPlay.

So my theory is currently that the full screen CarPlay v,s, heavily reduced screen Carplay is: market specific (UK v.s. EU v.s. RoW) or model year specific (2020 Leon v.s. 2021 Leon).

Please can anyone else help us by checking the screen size on CarPlay on their own car to add more data and resolve the issue?

Carplay Leon big window.PNG

Deleted member 123864

I've a 2021 Leon and CarPlay is per your image with just the bar to the left

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
Hardware H56 and software 1803 - I also have a great carplay view (with one column on the left).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.