Wireless charging is POOR

Gingerbread

Nov 20, 2021
I can deal with most all the glitches I've had with the tech, but the wireless charger is the most frustrating. I'll get around 1% charge after an hour of charging, the phone gets red hot and Wireless CarPlay because unusable because of the heat. Has anybody had any success in getting this remedied at a dealership or is it just bad design?

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
Both my iPhone and Android phones charge fine,so obviously not every car/phone that's effected

Deleted member 131219

I can deal with most all the glitches I've had with the tech, but the wireless charger is the most frustrating. I'll get around 1% charge after an hour of charging, the phone gets red hot and Wireless CarPlay because unusable because of the heat. Has anybody had any success in getting this remedied at a dealership or is it just bad design?
I took the line of least resistance and plugged in a short charger cable.

Reactions: Hizzards
Nov 16, 2021
I have the same issue with the pad getting red hot! I’ve had my iPhone 11 2 years and never had the temperature warning before

However, I don’t have any issue with it charging. Mine does charge normally.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
The issue may be charging whilst using CarPlay, that seems to get the phone hot, and the rate of charge is only slightly higher than the rate of discharge. I use a cable.

Gingerbread

Nov 20, 2021
Bleh, what a shame! I've ordered a short cable to do the job, bit disappointing though as the combination of wireless charging + wireless CarPlay is a dream (in theory)

thor4fun

Sep 30, 2021
If some of you choose to charge via cable, did you turn off the wireless charger pad? How can this be done?

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
Both my iPhone and Android phones charge fine,so obviously not every car/phone that's effected
wow that's very unusual from what ive read most phones get hot and wont charge, this is due to them moving about on the pad not ideal....great for you that yours works ,any tips for most of us, its not the fault of the pad if you sit with car stationary they work ok.

Chestnut

Nov 19, 2021
wow that's very unusual from what ive read most phones get hot and wont charge, this is due to them moving about on the pad not ideal....great for you that yours works ,any tips for most of us, its not the fault of the pad if you sit with car stationary they work ok.
Possibly a combination of inductive charging plus CarPlay processor load plus the cellular radio hunting for signal plus Wi-Fi all at the same time. My iPhone 11 gets warm when on a charging pad at home sometimes, especially if I’m using Bluetooth headphones for a zoom voice call at the same time.

qbait

Nov 3, 2021
I've skipped on adding Wireless charging option for my Formentor and I'm thinking about ordering a wireless power bank with MagSafe instead, in theory, that should solve the issue.

Formentor 21

Nov 7, 2021
I'm told it happens when the charging starts and stops a lot, using battery and creating heat. A big case could cause it. It got better in a different case. It may also depend on where the charging point is on your phone

Reactions: ninja_geezer

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
one thing i have noticed since i picked up a loan car (leon excellence 21 plate) the wireless charging works fine !! very strange the pad is the same ~!!

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
I take it all back...did a 200 mile journey today and my pixel phone got so hot it partially shut down and stopped charging.

The phone wasn't moving about at all I would add,as it was in its official Google case which prevents movement in the charging area.

Hoping a cupra software update is imminent to stop these issues.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.