Wireless Charging Mat

Jul 6, 2021
Well... it's been a long time since I was here. Last time I was chatting away in the General Chat, I came away from it with a husband!
Our Formentor VZ2 arrived on Friday, absolutely love it! So beautiful and love the Rose Gold accents although the other half says it's Copper.

Little bug which I'm intrigued by.. My iPhone Mini happily wirelessly charges but it won't in the car. His larger iPhone works fine.
Pop the phone in and it recognises it, says it's charging then a minute later says that it's not recognising it, take anything else out of the tray etc.
Is it just because it's too small?

Any fixes?

Secondly, our moron mutt has eaten the First Aid bag - is this a re-orderable as we'll need to replace it at some point before it has to go back!

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Very unlikely the first aid kit will be picked up on as missing when car is returned. It’s just a freebie from SEAT.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Plenty of First Aid Kits from VAG on Ebay. They usually specify expiration date in auctions as well. You should be able to get one for £5-6. I bought one for a car that didn't have it as standard.

CupraNewboy

May 17, 2021
Well... it's been a long time since I was here. Last time I was chatting away in the General Chat, I came away from it with a husband!
Our Formentor VZ2 arrived on Friday, absolutely love it! So beautiful and love the Rose Gold accents although the other half says it's Copper.

Little bug which I'm intrigued by.. My iPhone Mini happily wirelessly charges but it won't in the car. His larger iPhone works fine.
Pop the phone in and it recognises it, says it's charging then a minute later says that it's not recognising it, take anything else out of the tray etc.

Any fixes?

Secondly, our moron mutt has eaten the First Aid bag - is this a re-orderable as we'll need to replace it at some point before it has to go back!
You might find it’s the age of your device. Basically iPhone 8 onwards work with wireless charging. I can’t see that it’s available for iPads.

May 2, 2021

Any fixes?

I’ve put my iPhone 8 back in my crummy old case which stops it moving around quite so much and that seemed to work. Not sure it’s going to work regularly but I’ll keep trying.
Would be better if the aperture was adjustable so you could clamp the phone in place instead of having it slide around everywhere. The wireless charger in our Ateca works perfectly and it’s a lot smaller so maybe that’s why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
It could also be a temperamental charging pad. Mine charges my Samsung S20 sporadically, to the point that I can't use the pad. On an hour journey it charges my phone a total of 2% and turns it as hot as the sun. Useless.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
I’ve said in a previous thread but wireless chargers are very sensitive to the relative x, y & z position of the phone’s coil relative to their coil. Efficiency drops dramatically as they move out of alignment (resulting in very hot phone due to wasted power as above poster has observed).

The size of the phone enclosure is indeed too big for an iPhone 8 (even iPhone 12).

The solution is either a very grippy case (though you have to be careful it’s not too thick) or some sort of DIY jig to hold it in place.

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
My Samsung S9+ seems to be ok in terms of size and it stays on the mat. However, sometimes I get error that something is on the pad and to move it. I pick the phone up, put it back and it works ok.

Reactions: CupraNewboy
May 20, 2021
It could also be a temperamental charging pad. Mine charges my Samsung S20 sporadically, to the point that I can't use the pad. On an hour journey it charges my phone a total of 2% and turns it as hot as the sun. Useless.
My S20 is exactly the same, then once it gets hot (about an hour or so's drive) the wireless Android Auto starts to cut out.

Reactions: CupraNewboy

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Fits pretty snugly, doesn't move around. Should've said it's the S20 Ultra so takes up most of the centre space where the wireless charger is. I've had the same problem both with a gel case and without.

It’s possible that the position of your phone’s coil just doesn’t align well with that in the charger bay.

Reactions: WorcesterBlue

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
my Samsung s20fe seems ok on the charger mat but when its at 100% as it drops after a few minutes its chimes to say its charging again small but annoying, is there any way I can stop the charging alert ? at least I think its that's what it was , I was in the car about 2.5 hours the other day using android auto ,google maps and I heard it lots ,passenger even asked what the sound was .

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
My Samsung S9+ doesn't make any sound when it's fully charged and starts charging again. Is it phone chime or car chime?

Bigtim

Oct 16, 2017
OnePlus 8 pro fits nicely in the charging mat but heats to the point it has to power off. If I want to charge my phone I use a USB charger and kind of angle it on top of the wireless charger so it doesn't make contact.

Deleted member 131219

OnePlus 8 pro fits nicely in the charging mat but heats to the point it has to power off. If I want to charge my phone I use a USB charger and kind of angle it on top of the wireless charger so it doesn't make contact.
Same here; I have an iPhone SE (current version) and it overheats and stops charging in the wireless box. So I use a USB charger lead and place the phone face down.

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
yup my s20fe gets v hot as well ,i only ever use wireless charging on it as well so makes no sense tbh.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Mine is fine, but I don't use wireless CarPlay or Android Auto in the meantime, which might be the reason for overheating.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.