Wireless Charging Mat

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
Yes wifi android auto and apple car play use lots of juice...its
just that Google maps is awesome compared to the slow very thick built in sat nav. .. it even understands my 6 uear old granddaughter...šŸ˜

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Yes wifi android auto and apple car play use lots of juice...its
just that Google maps is awesome compared to the slow very thick built in sat nav. .. it even understands my 6 uear old granddaughter...šŸ˜
Have you noticed there is now a wireless charging symbol in the top right corner when charging the phone !
I have never liked the thought of my phone getting as hot as the sun so I use the good old fashion 12v socket in the armrest. I leave the phone in there, car still reminds me to collect phone as well.

Reactions: ninja_geezer

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
Have you noticed there is now a wireless charging symbol in the top right corner when charging the phone !
I have never liked the thought of my phone getting as hot as the sun so I use the good old fashion 12v socket in the armrest. I leave the phone in there, car still reminds me to collect phone as well.
yes saw that.

Reactions: jcbmally

Fill Bee

Aug 11, 2021
It could also be a temperamental charging pad. Mine charges my Samsung S20 sporadically, to the point that I can't use the pad. On an hour journey it charges my phone a total of 2% and turns it as hot as the sun. Useless.
Same here on my pixel. Battery actually went down.

qbait

Nov 3, 2021
I have iPhone 12 mini as well, have you been able to make it working?
I thought about paying 300 quid to get Qi charger, but after reading your feedback Iā€™m confused.

Would you buy it again or just stick to cable?

Jul 27, 2021
I have an iPhone 12 and it switched itself off to prevent overheating for the first time this week. It had been on the charging pad for about an hour. Of course that shut down car play which was no fun as I was navigating via Waze. No idea whether that's a Seat or Apple issue but this is the first car that's done that.

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
I have an iPhone 12 and it switched itself off to prevent overheating for the first time this week. It had been on the charging pad for about an hour. Of course that shut down car play which was no fun as I was navigating via Waze. No idea whether that's a Seat or Apple issue but this is the first car that's done that.
it's the way wireless charging works,its got to very still on the mat or it will overheat,what its doing is charging then stopping constantly causing it to heat up .if you could make a caddy so it cannot move even a tiny bit it would work better.i would use a short cable if it starts getting low on power.

Nov 21, 2021
Well... it's been a long time since I was here. Last time I was chatting away in the General Chat, I came away from it with a husband!
Our Formentor VZ2 arrived on Friday, absolutely love it! So beautiful and love the Rose Gold accents although the other half says it's Copper.

Little bug which I'm intrigued by.. My iPhone Mini happily wirelessly charges but it won't in the car. His larger iPhone works fine.
Pop the phone in and it recognises it, says it's charging then a minute later says that it's not recognising it, take anything else out of the tray etc.
Is it just because it's too small?

Any fixes?

Secondly, our moron mutt has eaten the First Aid bag - is this a re-orderable as we'll need to replace it at some point before it has to go back!
Yes, exactly the same issue with an iPhone 12 Mini. The pad is too big for the smaller phone and it just moves around too much. I tried using self-adhesive draft excluder to create a frame in the pad to keep the phone centred... it proved the point in that it charged better and did not give heat warnings. However, the mat melted the adhesive on the draft excluder so it's not viable going forward. No success finding a simple frame that would hold the phone in the right place. Have now ordered a short USB-C lead. Pretty pants though and worked ok on last car - Tesla Model 3

macwreck

Dec 16, 2023
I agree it would be great if there was an X-Y adjustable holder in the Formentor charging tray as different phones need to be in different positions to correctly charge over the Qi charger to not overheat while also stopping the 'not charging' issue.

Like others have mentioned that to get past this "incorrect position" problem we need a "holder" to position individual phones correctly over the Qi wireless charger on the mat and maintain that position. I decided to try a cardboard cutout that fit over the two spines on the mat to see if I could get my iPhone 14 to stay in place for charging.

No luck yet. I get the same issue at times. I'm thinking I might mess around with it some more to see if I can get a correct position figured out. If I can then I will know the relative position to have the iPhone and could then find someone to design and print a 3D printer version ... will let everyone know it if works.

Unless someone else has already done this and has a 3D printed example we could try?

Jones2020

Jul 14, 2023
I agree it would be great if there was an X-Y adjustable holder in the Formentor charging tray as different phones need to be in different positions to correctly charge over the Qi charger to not overheat while also stopping the 'not charging' issue.

Like others have mentioned that to get past this "incorrect position" problem we need a "holder" to position individual phones correctly over the Qi wireless charger on the mat and maintain that position. I decided to try a cardboard cutout that fit over the two spines on the mat to see if I could get my iPhone 14 to stay in place for charging.

No luck yet. I get the same issue at times. I'm thinking I might mess around with it some more to see if I can get a correct position figured out. If I can then I will know the relative position to have the iPhone and could then find someone to design and print a 3D printer version ... will let everyone know it if works.

Unless someone else has already done this and has a 3D printed example we could try?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise