Wishbone bolts

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Following on from another thread, I still havent got my '4' wheel alignment done yet...

However I had the front left wishbone replaced and have since discovered that the garage has used what look like bog standard silver bolts to attatch the ball joint to wishbone (3 bolts), should these not be high strength black bolts like the other side?

If I source some OEM bolts can a garage replace these without to much difficultly? They don't have to go removing the entire wishbone again do they? Cheers

Last edited:

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Thanks for that, I've taken some close up pics and the bolts do indeed say 10.9, so this means they are not some unbranded crap? The nuts look a little thinner than the OEM ones as well. I can't help being paranoid!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for that, I've taken some close up pics and the bolts do indeed say 10.9, so this means they are not some unbranded crap? The nuts look a little thinner than the OEM ones as well. I can't help being paranoid!

10.9 are high tensile bolts. I think it safe to assume if they've sourced these, they've torqued them properly. :)

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Thats what I thought, but this issue cropped up because the front wheel was so loose I could wobble it by hand...Took it to Kwik Fit who found that all the wishbone bolts were only finger tight with no lock tight stuff or locking washers. If this is the quality of the guys work then I'm paranoid about the parts he used.
Is there no locking nuts used as standard? Or available? Cheers

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Thats what I thought, but this issue cropped up because the front wheel was so loose I could wobble it by hand...Took it to Kwik Fit who found that all the wishbone bolts were only finger tight with no lock tight stuff or locking washers. If this is the quality of the guys work then I'm paranoid about the parts he used.
Is there no locking nuts used as standard? Or available? Cheers

No locking washers. Torque 20nm + 90 degrees from memory. Tens of thousands of cars running round safely at that setting.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.