Wonky Wiper

Retain

I had the car down at the stealers today to finally sort the air-con and CD player problem they diagnosed back in May (parts were on back order!!). Anyway, long story short - it's all sorted which is nice as I can listen to my Girls Aloud CDs whilst not freezing to death :)

On the way home though I noticed my passenger side wiper wasn't parked properly. Gave it a bit of a squirt of water (as I'd noticed it does this from time to time) but still no joy - parks a good half inch away from the body - kinda like how they're positioned when it's on intermittant. When I got out of the car I tryed to push it home but it pretty feels like that's where it's positioned to park i.e. if I pushed any harder I'd be forcing it against the mechanism.

Now I'm guessing that as it was the air vent beneth the windscreen they had to replace, they've probably had the wipers off. Question is - how hard would this be to sort myself? Bit of a pain in the bum going back to the dealers just for this. I'm no mechanic myself but can just about change a wheel - I'm guessing it can't be much harder. Anyone tried this or can help me out with piccies, advice, etc?

Much obliged :)

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
hand the bonnett up a few times and i have not noticed the wiper arms on show.... may be another trip to the stealer!!!

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
It's really easy to adjust them yourself if you have the right sized spanner. Follow the wiper arm down until it meets the base of the windscreen. At the very end of the wiper arm, you will see that a plastic cap cvers up the single bolt that connects them to the motors.

Simply grab the plastic cover from the sides and give it a pretty firm tug - It will un-clip exposing the bolt. Just undo the bolt, re-position the wiper how you need it, and then bolt it back again and replace the plastic cover. It takes minutes only.

Retain

Thanks for the replies (RCS2K4 - have been following your thread with interest, glad you got your car sorted in the end :)).

Anyway - it is super easy to adjust the wiper you're right. Just had a crack at it now but have hit a problem. With the nut loosened so the arm moves freely, I can push the wiper home to the correct position. However, I soon a I tighten the nut 'something' is putting pressure on the arm to force it back to the offset position. Even got my neighbour to hold the arm to the body as I tightened and still getting the same problem. I stopped shy of removing the arm as didn't know if I'll run into further alignment problems, etc.

Any other thoughts or should I get this back to the stealer?

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
Hi had this problem on my FR and would totally disagree with the statement about it being easy to fix! There are even insructions in the seat workshop computer system to fix this problem as it's that complicated. My FR eventually needed a new motor and it took 90 minutes to fit and align the motor and arm and that was a Seat technician doing the job:whistle: He had a few problems with wiper park alignment!

I admit I thought it would be easy as I've done this with previous cars and gave it a go but everytime it was aligned it wouldn't return to park after use. The spindles are quite fragile so after a few attempts you begin to worry:doh:

There are a few posts on here about wiper alignment after windscreen replacement, check them out. Defo a dealer job unless you have the forementioned seat workshop CD, ELSAWIN I think it's called.

Retain

Nice one - I don't feel completely incompetant that I couldn't fix it then!

I'll try and... um... 'aquire' one of those workshop CDs tonight, if not I'll pop her into the dealers on Saturday. Maybe they'll wash her again for me!! :D

Retain

Ah nice - I've found the old posts detailing the problem (for reference it's here). Definately a dealer job though I'll print that page out to help them out a little :)

Retain

Well I've found that ELSAWIN thing so will have a check through it to see if the pictures help explain it a bit more!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.