Wont go into any gear!

T108

Jul 2, 2008
Drove my car to work this moning fine, drove home from work fine
2hrs later get in the car to go out and i cant get it in gear!

with the engine off it;ll go into gear just fine but running it wont, will go into 3rd if you press hard enough and then you can still pull away as normal with the clutch?

Have checked the usuall pedal box is fine, cable fine ect

Does this sound like the clutch itself is the problem? or the gearbox? usually when a clutch goes you have the opisite problem to being permantly engaged! unless of course the realese bearing has died?

seems strange to me that in the space of 2hrs of 0 use it went from fine to no gears!

Any ideas? advice? expencience?

otherwise i'll be wrestling the gearbox off this bank holiday weekend to see whats up!

BTW its an ABF cupra

sooty16v

long.
Jul 25, 2007
South London
Clutch plates fella. I had the same problem - would go into gear when cars off but not when running.

I'm afraid you're going to have to shell out for a new clutch...but, it'll be worth it. I had to do the same and it felt like a brand new car! So much better and smoother!

T108

Jul 2, 2008
Right got the box off today!

at first galce the clutch plates looked fine, plenty of meat left ect

then i notice one of the center springs in the friction plate had snapped half a coil off which was wedged in the gap between the friction plate and cover meaning it wouldn't let the friction plate release fully as it was being held on at 1 point!

i can only assume that bit of spring dropped down in there when i parked up!

Grrrrrrr not what i had planned for the bank holiday weekend! least i can enjoy the rest of it as i cant get a clutch till tuesday!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
really should get a new clutch in mine, how is the gearbox to get off? ive had a quick butchers and there seems to be plenty of room.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
nah one man out, 2 man in as its abit tricker lining it up and what not.. i dropped a BMW twinturbot 6 speed box on my foot the other week, now that was heavy lol

T108

Jul 2, 2008
If you've got access to 2 men i'd recomend it!

full of oil its heavy, got it out on my own i'll let you know how getting it back in alone goes!
i would have drained it but dont have the right size key!

i found an inch and a half long crack in the bell housing last night too! will get it welded up before i put the lot back together!

T108

Jul 2, 2008
right had to wait until today to get a clutch but its all back together

the crack i had to weld up in the bellhousing was bigger than i thought, about 3.5 inches long! but its fixxed now!

i did get the box on on my own, but id recomemed 2 people as it was a complete bitch, there is so little room to spare between the flywheel and the bellhousing.

Bentley1989

Mk2 Ibiza 1.4s
Dec 18, 2007
Hartlepool
hope im not gettin the same problem as you, my gears a gettin a bit hard to push in, doesnt seem that bad goin up a gear, its comin down thats worse...

also it doesnt go into 1st first time, have to release the clutch and do it again.

anyone got any suggestions?

sorry if im hi-jackin your thread man, if i started new ppl would just say do a search lol

Chris

T108

Jul 2, 2008
thats cool hi jack away!

first thing id do is check your gearbox oil level

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
See the throw weight on top of the gearbox??? Check that, I lost all my gears before (same way as you, parked up it was all fine got back in it the next day and can't get out of 1st).

I found that the weight was loose...... fitted it all back tidy and there's a bit of adjustment on it to. Play about with that for 20mins and it makes the changes a bit smoother to.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise