Won't rev over 3000rpm

mjhmjh2

Hi,

Anyone come accross this - not my car but someone I work with 1.9tdi 110. After a while the car no longer will rev over 3krpm. Turning the car completly off and then starting again fixes it for a while.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Matthew

brad1

Hi,

Anyone come accross this - not my car but someone I work with 1.9tdi 110. After a while the car no longer will rev over 3krpm. Turning the car completly off and then starting again fixes it for a while.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Matthew

get vagcom on it, could be a fault code logged as its going into limp mode

T. Spark

Its in limp mode as scotty has said. To find out why its going into limp mode you will have to check on vag-com. If you dont have that, try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, that might do a soft reset on the ECU and allow the car to be driven normally, if however it still does it, get vag-com on it asap.

mjhmjh2

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm no stranger to ECUs (other than my ibiza tdi, my toy is a Megasquirt powered kit car). However I don't have vagcom nor an OBD cable. What kind of cable is needed and is the software in the 'usual' places?

Thanks again
Matt

brad1

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm no stranger to ECUs (other than my ibiza tdi, my toy is a Megasquirt powered kit car). However I don't have vagcom nor an OBD cable. What kind of cable is needed and is the software in the 'usual' places?

Thanks again
Matt

where you from mate, i have vagcom, if your not too far from me

mjhmjh2

Hi, thanks for the really kind offer. I'm just outside Basingstoke (south of Reading). Although this is for a mate at work (Panasonic @ Bracknell). I'm happy to buy a new cable etc if needs be :) Might be a wise investment as I appear to be resident mechanic locally!

Thanks very much
Matthew

T. Spark

Sometimes its the MAF, the reason its not revving past 3k is limp mode, that can be caused be caused by so many things, you hit lucky by cleaning the maf and it fixing the problem.

You need a VAG-COM cable and VAG-COM itself. Think Ebay has these, and you can download vag-com somewhere also. Its well worth it imho.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
when the MAF failed on my last car, it refused to rev out at all - it wasnt a case of working sometimes and not working other times. usually limp mode is related to a sticking turbo which is reset by switching off and on again. a good fuel system flush over a tank or two may help until an full diagnosis can be made.

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Sounds like sticky vanes to me, could be wrong, but it adds up. Try getting the car on a hill, then boot it in 4th and 5th up past 2/3KRPM. You should feel the power drop off. Vag Com will give a fault code of "Boost pressure positive deviation"

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise