worst car..........EVER in the snow

You cant turn ABS off. Even with ESP turned off ABS is still on.

no its not buddy have you not read the hand book either or tested it.

traction control cant help in the snow and will probally hurt your car. the wheels still spin with traction control on also if your stuck in mud or snow your advised to turn it off. mines petrol if you dont use the turbo the low down torque is great.

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England

traction control cant help in the snow and will probally hurt your car. the wheels still spin with traction control on also if your stuck in mud or snow your advised to turn it off.

traction control prevents the wheels spinning

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England
traction control cant help in the snow and will probally hurt your car. the wheels still spin with traction control on also if your stuck in mud or snow your advised to turn it off. mines petrol if you dont use the turbo the low down torque is great.

Use of traction control
In road cars: Traction control has traditionally been a safety feature in high-performance cars, which would otherwise need very sensitive throttle input to keep them from spinning the driven wheels when accelerating, especially in wet, icy or snowy conditions

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton

I can understand if you're stuck in the mud or snow it should be turned off to help get you out, but when you're driving normally in the snow the benefits of ESP working outweigh the benefits of having it disabled imo. It includes the EDL which is very useful on slippery surfaces.

I can understand if you're stuck in the mud or snow it should be turned off to help get you out, but when you're driving normally in the snow the benefits of ESP working outweigh the benefits of having it disabled imo. It includes the EDL which is very useful on slippery surfaces.

engine braking is the only way in snowy conditions esp wont do much like when you give it a foot full in first for example in normal conditions the wheels still spin.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The manual says TCS can be turned off when driving in heavy snow. Doesn't say it should, or that ESP should. And you can't just turn off TCS if you have ESP. If you do, you lose alot more than just TCS :shrug:

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
engine braking is the only way in snowy conditions esp wont do much like when you give it a foot full in first for example in normal conditions the wheels still spin.

They will spin a bit but then the power will be cut. But if you were driving in snow, you wouldn't drive like that anyway...you would be more gentle with the throttle.

andycupra

status subject to change
why would you not want ABS and ESP to help you?

? My diesel's turbo kicks in just under 2000rpm...
and "cupra" could mean petrol or diesel? diesel isnt a model.:confused:

think the idea is if you are going very slow for long periods the abs can overheat.
so when going very slow turn it off.
but if you are travelling at any speed at all id say it should be on!

They will spin a bit but then the power will be cut. But if you were driving in snow, you wouldn't drive like that anyway...you would be more gentle with the throttle.

i understand what your saying but if you brake in the snow you slide so using esp is just going to over work the esp as its slowing the wheels thats spinning like you say you dont go to madd on the throttle so not using it your probally better off as your more aware of what your car is doing rather that not really knowing. either way we both have good points and are both right but i prefer to control myself than have some computer do it for me.

also abs is controled the same way as no abs you still have to control that tap you get down your foot.

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England

i use engine braking in normal conditions. more economical. doesnt make it the only way in snow. brakes still work!

and who drives full throttle in first in any condition, car just rips through first anyway. Cant agree with you that ESP and ABS are better turned off.

if you know your car you can drive it on the snow without spinning no problem, if you dont quite get the balance right, giving it too much gas then ESP will keep the wheels from spinning and keep you accelerating gradually as you intended. if you dont give enough gas then the torque will keep you moving anyway.

ABS i just cant see why you'd want it turning off. you only brake when u want to slow down or stop, so if the wheels lock up on the snow ABS releases the brake and reapplies. why would you not want this to happen? i'll agree engine braking is what you should use to slow down for corners or roundbouts or cars in front n what not, but you still need to brake sometimes and i'd rather have ABS back up.

if on proper ice rather than snow then no amount of ABS or breaking will stop you anyway there's no friction, you've just gotta hope you dont hit anything before u get back onto snow or tarmac where braking will work.

as for driving on sheer ice, same applies, no point accelerating you will just spin, ESP will try and stop you but won't do much good, to get anywhere you've just gotta use the torque, there' enough torque i mine to get to about 35 mph without touching the accelerator going through the gears from 1st to 4th- i'd imaging cupras and remapped models will get further.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Ideally you would be able to turn on/off ABS, TCS, EDL and ESP individually. Even would be better to adjust parameters and have different modes (Sport, Snow, Comfort etc. like more high-end cars). At least a single on/off button is better than no assistance at all.

Sometimes it's better turned off if you know what the car is going to do, but sometimes it can help in situations where you could never react fast enough and on individual corners of the car.

Ideally you would be able to turn on/off ABS, TCS, EDL and ESP individually. Even would be better to adjust parameters and have different modes (Sport, Snow, Comfort etc. like more high-end cars). At least a single on/off button is better than no assistance at all.

Sometimes it's better turned off if you know what the car is going to do, but sometimes it can help in situations where you could never react fast enough and on individual corners of the car.

completly agree with you there you hit the nail on the head.