worst car..........EVER in the snow

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Well I had to abandon mine this morning

Zero grip despite having plenty of tread (205x45x16s)

Tried traction on and off

I have never driven a car that is so bad in the snow :censored:

andycupra

status subject to change
lol

you will find that having wide tyres is actually a disadvantage as they spread the load more. Just look at rally cars which have skinney wheels when on snow.

I once rescued loads of mates by borrowing a 106, it was great in the snow!
If you think its the worst car in the snow, (im still unsure what the car has to do with this) then try a rear rear drive car in the same conditions.

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England
Well I had to abandon mine this morning

Zero grip despite having plenty of tread (205x45x16s)

Tried traction on and off

I have never driven a car that is so bad in the snow :censored:

i found my 2006 Sport good in snow last year (195/45/16 i think) but only had my FR since April so yet to find out i've not had to go anywhere in snow yet.

i'd have thought the 130PD engine would be good though - at least for moving without wheelspin. low down torque and the ease of being able to drive 2 gears higher than normal conditions without stalling being a problem.

handling obviously depends on a lot of things.

Imran

MrMush=)
Oct 4, 2007
Belfast
i take the ibizas are all front wheel drive then?
are there any small cars ibizas, 207s, clios, corsas etc that are rear wheel drive?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
are there any small cars ibizas, 207s, clios, corsas etc that are rear wheel drive?

Nope. Not modern ones anyway... Technically there's the old Clio V6 which is mid engined and RWD, but that's a bit of a lairy monster.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
yes....at least if you stiffen the back up and take a wet roundabout too fast :whistle: Not as good as RWD tho

Marc_4

Deceptacon ibiza
lol @ this thread.

as Andycupra Says, Skinny Tyres is where its at in Snow, the low surface area of skinny tyres results in the same weight being spread across a smaller area (Resulting in more pressure on the tyres) helping the tyres cut through the snow onto the tarmac, I got stuck in my Driveway last year on 205's :p

Joens

Jan 18, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe if you'd buy decent tyres you'd be okey :) We had 40-50cm snow few weeks ago in one night and only problem I had was that the car got stuck from bottom sometimes. Im running 205/40/17 Pirelli Sottozeros. best wintertyres ive had so far :happy:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Nope. Not modern ones anyway... Technically there's the old Clio V6 which is mid engined and RWD, but that's a bit of a lairy monster.

there's the baby bmw 3 series compact

Clio V6 in snow ? with sill panels at £1200 a piece - you'd be NUTS !!!!

lol was okay when I once drove in heavy snow with Michelin Pilots on just did 20 all way home thou as could not see the motorway at all and also blinded by 4WD overtaking at about 60 throwing snow on my windscreen!

i love embarassing 4x4 drivers who think they have the tools to go ANYwhere how they like as its 4wd, once saw a discovery struggling/spinning up an icy slope only to ask him to move over as i drove a 1.4 Orion past him and up the hill :rolleyes:

It's not what you got It's what you do with it :cartman:

2cv's and old mk1 Renault 5's were always the best in snow

Aimez

I know I found it ridiculous that everyone in 4WD (even crappy soft roaders that wouldn't stand a chance off road) overtook me and 60 as if 4WD made them defy the snow completely, fair dos a proper off roader could handle it but most of these are un trained Mums driving X5s!

rant over

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I'm with Flapper on this. I have no problems with mine in the snow. Its all about how you drive them. The only time I got stuck was on a very steep long hill and the stupit tw@t in his 4x4 in front got stuck and I had to stop.

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Just to add

I think I may have a little experience of driving in the snow :rolleyes:

Been driving for 28 years,owned around 15 cars and live in the hills of Lancashire.

I know all about tyre sizes/widths,the way you drive,etc, etc

and when I say this is the worst car I have driven in the snow,I mean it ;)

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I think you need to invest in summer decent winter tyres if you regularly get snow around you.

130bhp and 230 lb/ft in a FWD car that ways little over a ton is never going to go well in the snow on winter tyres.

I'd have thought winter tyres were a no-brainer in the lancashire hills?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members