Would it be wise to buy a TDI for low mileage/occasional use considering DPF

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Can I please ask - how do you know that the DPF is doing a regen?

I can recall two occasions when I've pulled up on the drive after a 40 mile commute home from work (99% at 70+) and the fans take a good 5-10 minutes to shut down. Is this a regen taking place or just the cooling system being keen?

that sounds like a regen, but maybe the times you noticed it the car hadn't got warm enough soon enough, or I would have thought that it would have done it and stopped while you were still driving...

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
from everything I've seen on here, I'd go for the 1.4 ACT 150 next time around.
The 184 is terrific to drive, but I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the DPF light to come on.....

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can I please ask - how do you know that the DPF is doing a regen?

I can recall two occasions when I've pulled up on the drive after a 40 mile commute home from work (99% at 70+) and the fans take a good 5-10 minutes to shut down. Is this a regen taking place or just the cooling system being keen?

My normal indicator for a regen is the engine idle sitting at 1000rpm rather than the normal 800rpm when you are at a complete stop.

Deleted member 98136

Since retiring I suppose I only do 2000/2500 miles per year, no journey longer than 8/10 miles.

When recently wanting to change my car for one which would possibly be the last change of car for me, I noticed that the particular model of Seat I wanted was plentiful in the diesel version but far less so in the petrol version. ( TSI DSG Tech Pack )

I had been perusing this forum for a quite a while now, and after reading posters concerns in relation to DPF issues my mind was made up for me that it was probably best to avoid the diesel version considering my expected annual mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Thanks everyone for your input. The car I was looking at was a 2.0TDI SE Tech pack. I used to have a 1.9tdi Stylance 3 cars ago. I loved that car, had 2 petrols since then (Ibiza and now facelift Leon FR 1.4TSI) but I am looking to change soon. Like one of the other posters said, diesel models are plentiful but petrol ones are few and far between. Don't really want a 1.2TSI and I don't want to take the depreciation hit of a new car. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes up.

I am however on the lookout for a facelift Cupra or Cupra R. But being me, I'm being a bit picky. It has to be unmodified, 61 plate or better and white. So far my search has ben unsuccessful.

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
Does anyone know how long the regeneration takes? And what happens if you switch off the engine during the regeneration?

I think I had one last week when driving home from work. As soon as I enter in the town the Start & Stop started to work again (which doesn't happen when when I start the car as the engine is too cold) but last week it didn't work. And I did have 1,000 rpm as somebody mentioned above.

Last edited: