Buying a Leon estate - advice please

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Might keep workshops busy, judging by the what looks like the increase in VW Group petrol engine cam belt change prices, maybe to make things even easier/transparent(?) they charge same price for all petrol engines - saves confusion, something that always concerns VW Group service centres? (my tongue seems to be stuck in my cheek)
Just making a general statement here, some people have found their EA211 engines (any sizes/models) started running rough after getting a cam belt change, not very encouraging to read.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Aah. actually it's my bedtime so i must pack this in for the night, but. Of course at the price range we can afford we are not looking at brand new vehicles so the EVO1 version of this 1.5 engine is the one I've been researching. However I've just come across an article enlightening me to the fact that the latest version of this engine, currently in a lot of the cars, is the EVO2 version and it would seem that many, if not all, of the issues which people report with the EVO1 (I think just called the EVO?) have been addressed with this EVO2 version of the engine. Anyone able to enlighten me? Maybe we should try a drive in an EVO2?

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Interesting thread, generally VAG engines seem to be overly complicated and then out of warranty have problems.
VAG don't have a history of good engines, they were always pretty basic in the 80s and 90s, it was always Honda that were ahead technically.

If there weren't problems with VAG, Ford Ecoboost or GM engines, YouTube would be empty!

From what I read Japanese engines are generally better, certainly my experience with Honda and Mazda petrol engines reflect this. I know their diesels are not reliable.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
130bhp 1.5TSI is also ACT

The original 1.5tsi 130 that came out on a 68 plate was engine code DACA this got swiftly replaced by a newer engine code i cannot remember right now that code of engine.

The 130 manuals were the worst for this stutter

69 plate may be the revised 130 engine

Plenty of info here

The 130 Is is quite a different design to the 150 with higher compression ratio, VGT turbo and miller cycle.

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Aah. actually it's my bedtime so i must pack this in for the night, but. Of course at the price range we can afford we are not looking at brand new vehicles so the EVO1 version of this 1.5 engine is the one I've been researching. However I've just come across an article enlightening me to the fact that the latest version of this engine, currently in a lot of the cars, is the EVO2 version and it would seem that many, if not all, of the issues which people report with the EVO1 (I think just called the EVO?) have been addressed with this EVO2 version of the engine. Anyone able to enlighten me? Maybe we should try a drive in an EVO2?
Although the 1.5 kangaroo has been much publicised in the on line community - it doesn't effect all cars!
Just test drive the car you want - if it drives smoothly - then all good.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks folks. The 1.4 is quite thin on the ground but here seem to be quite a number of 1.5 examples. As you're saying, I think we need to go and drive one and see what it's like.

Haven't had any luck getting past the "gate guardian" to speak to a techy yet, Think I'll have to just risk sneaking round and in the workshop entrance and see if I can speak with someone with dirty hands. I'll update you if I succeed.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks folks. The 1.4 is quite thin on the ground but here seem to be quite a number of 1.5 examples. As you're saying, I think we need to go and drive one and see what it's like.

Haven't had any luck getting past the "gate guardian" to speak to a techy yet, Think I'll have to just risk sneaking round and in the workshop entrance and see if I can speak with someone with dirty hands. I'll update you if I succeed.
They swapped out the DACA engine code early on.

Even by 69 plates it was replaced. Now i don't know if it is any better but i hope it is 🤣

One thing to note. When you test drive you need to drive from cold.

Watch out for the dealer trick of leaving it ticking over outside for 5 mins. The majority of the stutter is from cold

Last edited:

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
They swapped out the DACA engine code early on.

Even by 69 plates it was replaced. Now i don't know if it is any better but i hope it is 🤣

One thing to note. When you test drive you need to drive from cold.

Watch out for the dealer trick of leaving it ticking over outside for 5 mins. The majority of the stutter is from cold
Thanks for that. Now that we're considering the 1.5 as well as the 1.4 there's a couple of late 1.5s - 69 plates - I've made inquiries about today. They've got details of his Astra so it'll be interesting to see what figures they come up with. Watch this space!

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Thanks for that. Now that we're considering the 1.5 as well as the 1.4 there's a couple of late 1.5s - 69 plates - I've made inquiries about today. They've got details of his Astra so it'll be interesting to see what figures they come up with. Watch this space!
Run the Astra through We Buy Any Car or the Cazoo car buying service to get an idea of what it's worth.
These days with the demand high, it's usually the car you're buying at screen price and then trade price for your trade in less any damage.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Hi,

I haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if I’m repeating someone.

We own a 2019 Leon ST with the 1.5 130 ps engine. It’s smooth and pretty frugal. Impressive for a little engine. We also tried the 1.0 triple but I found it a bit noisy and strained to be honest. Don’t regret getting the 1.5. If you’re worried about kangarooing, just make sure you have a warranty, and check how many previous owners the car in question has had. Many owners would indicate a lemon which keeps getting passed on.
James

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Both garages offered £500 confirmed as long as it's got 6 months MOT - which it does. However, just tonight a somewhat older, but more affordable, 1.4 TSI ACT ST (Sport Tourer) with full service history and 2 previous owners and 38,000 miles on it has suddenly appeared at a smaller dealer about 3/4 hour drive from here. I've "paid the garage a visit" courtesy of the wee yellow man in google maps and it looks like a very well maintained wee country garage. Going to give him a ring tomorrow. Fingers crossed guys, this is the best bet yet - Yes, I know the "sport" is reputed to have rather hard suspension, but I think all the Estates were called "Sport Tourers"? That's what mine's called and it's got standard suspension. Anyway, if the boy likes it we'll just have to drive it and see what it feels like.

We Buy Any Car quoted £750 and now, one day later has emailed us twice each time pumping the anti up. Now stands at £780. However there are shed loads of conditions in the small print so who knows what they would actually hand over on the day?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Both garages offered £500 confirmed as long as it's got 6 months MOT - which it does. However, just tonight a somewhat older, but more affordable, 1.4 TSI ACT ST (Sport Tourer) with full service history and 2 previous owners and 38,000 miles on it has suddenly appeared at a smaller dealer about 3/4 hour drive from here. I've "paid the garage a visit" courtesy of the wee yellow man in google maps and it looks like a very well maintained wee country garage. Going to give him a ring tomorrow. Fingers crossed guys, this is the best bet yet - Yes, I know the "sport" is reputed to have rather hard suspension, but I think all the Estates were called "Sport Tourers"? That's what mine's called and it's got standard suspension. Anyway, if the boy likes it we'll just have to drive it and see what it feels like.

We Buy Any Car quoted £750 and now, one day later has emailed us twice each time pumping the anti up. Now stands at £780. However there are shed loads of conditions in the small print so who knows what they would actually hand over on the day?
All estates are ST's just what Seat called them.

The only ones with the lowered sport suspension will be FR's or Cupras.

The rest SE / SE Dynamic / Xcellence will have non sport suspension

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
OH well, yes it's an FR. So is it going to be unpleasantly hard, especially on long trips. Typically they tend to go on holiday to the west country, which is a long way from us here in Edinburgh.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
OH well, yes it's an FR. So is it going to be unpleasantly hard, especially on long trips. Typically they tend to go on holiday to the west country, which is a long way from us here in Edinburgh.
Depends what size of alloys it has.

17's will be acceptable. 18's are a little hard but they are not the worst comfort wise.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Generally speaking, when going on a family summer trip to the West Country, the car, or at least all my cars, were well loaded up-down so firm suspension would not really matter, or improve things. A horrible trip I'm sure for kids in the back, sometimes when taking the shortest route to the A74 -now A74M or something maybe even M74 at Moffat, meant passing by the sheep dog training centre, near there tended to be the first "sick" stop!

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
I've got a 2019 st 2.0tdi with 17 inch wheels and goodyear vector all seasons. The ride is perfectly comfortable and it cruises fine on a long run. I drove to Fort William from Derby without any issues.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Depends what size of alloys it has.

17's will be acceptable. 18's are a little hard but they are not the worst comfort wise.
17's they are.
Generally speaking, when going on a family summer trip to the West Country, the car, or at least all my cars, were well loaded up-down so firm suspension would not really matter, or improve things. A horrible trip I'm sure for kids in the back, sometimes when taking the shortest route to the A74 -now A74M or something maybe even M74 at Moffat, meant passing by the sheep dog training centre, near there tended to be the first "sick" stop!
Aye RUM, hadn't factored in the "kitchen sink". We've always gone the A702 route down to the M74. Not often you get held up as other traffic seems to be moving at about the speed I'm happy with.

We've been doing this journey for more years than I care to think about. Now the kids are all grown up and doing it with their kids - Serves them right! I'm much more worried now about the all lane running on the motorways down south. My daughter was terrible for car sickness but Mrs J used to drug her up with dramamine and she would sleep for most of the journey. We used to stick her in the middle with a pillow on either side and one of the boys on either side of the pillows which also kept the boys from fighting!

Reactions: RUM4MO

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
17's they are.

Aye RUM, hadn't factored in the "kitchen sink". We've always gone the A702 route down to the M74. Not often you get held up as other traffic seems to be moving at about the speed I'm happy with.

We've been doing this journey for more years than I care to think about. Now the kids are all grown up and doing it with their kids - Serves them right! I'm much more worried now about the all lane running on the motorways down south. My daughter was terrible for car sickness but Mrs J used to drug her up with dramamine and she would sleep for most of the journey. We used to stick her in the middle with a pillow on either side and one of the boys on either side of the pillows which also kept the boys from fighting!
Should be sweet on the 17's.

Tyres also play a big role. So if comfort is the aim then a touring tyre like a Michelin Primacy would be the one to go for over a Sport oriented tyre

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Should be sweet on the 17's.

Tyres also play a big role. So if comfort is the aim then a touring tyre like a Michelin Primacy would be the one to go for over a Sport oriented tyre
Must say I really like the Falkens I've put on the Ibiza so, when he needs them, it'll probably be them which I can get at a very good price from my mobile tyre man.

Reactions: BigJase88

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have 17" on my 2.0 TDI ST and that has done 185 miles to Wales and back with either the dogs in the boot or the MTB on the back. Never thought the ride was harsh. My 184 does has independant rear suspension.

Tyre choice can be a factor. I get on well with Uniroyal Rainsports.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.