Would VR6 clocks work?

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
just reading through the haynes manual last night and it says that the Ibiza clocks are electrical, the speedo runs off the transmission fliud and converts it to electrical current.

anyway i've been wanting DDI dials for ages, and wondered that if i got a mk3 golf VR6 clock set up, would it work ok with the ibiza, i take it the rev counter is the same principal, electrically driven. So wouldnt it just read the same on different clocks?

any suggestions would be good, i know the VR6 clocks go up to 160mph, and the rev counter goes to 8k i think.

Cheers
Chris

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
rev counter would sequenced for 6 cyl for starters so could cause hassles

speedo uses a sender on the gearbox so if you had a matching one wouldnt be a problem there really

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
alternatively fl@pper how hard was it to put LEDs in places of bulbs on the clocks, i might just do that and make my own dials

if you are leaving them as they were intended - Pi$$ easy just a case of clipping in a conversion bulb

if you want to move them or replace them as led's like mine its a right royal enema - taken me 6 weesk so far and still not back in the car :whistle:

i wish i'd just converted/installed the LCD one in the first place now :)

Last edited:

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
what do you mean by converted the LCD one?

well i want them to go from this:
08042007340-1.jpg

to this
DDIguage.jpg

also how easy would it be to get the 2 little LCD screens to light up like this? (2nd one down)
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw golfmk3/interior.html

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
before the sequential shiftlight sidetracked me i was thinking more like this ::

StandardBlue.jpg

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as for the lcd screens @ the bottom just dug mine out and they use clear bulbs and it appeasr the reflector inside the speedo/rev counter heads are painted orange

would take a drastic job to change that

i have seen em with led bright blue bulbs in show up blue so maybe a really high power glow will over power it ?

used to able to reverse lcd watches by flipping the screen - i know the astra gte speedo can be inverted that way and turned blue really easily

ill try removing the faces of mine later

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just had a closer look as mines still in pieces

the orange appears to come from the same film as used on the top bulbs but is right inside and using my led pentorch i can make it lighter coloured so i reckon with pukka bright blue led's it would change to blue

lcd screen is well enclosed and looks a nightmare to get to to even think about swapping over or inverting

the needles will need to be off to replace a face or lcd or colour full stop and a right mofo to get off - mines still on as i darent pull too hard and believe you me im pulling and pushing a good un

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
http://www.blauertacho4u.de/product...peedo-Dash-VW-Golf-3-Vento-VR6-260Kmh-ND.html

you'll like that then ^^^ few different designs there too but no reply to emails asking wether they could be MPH marked yet :(:( try clicking EL dashes link for others

and i tried emailing in german too :p

tempted at that money to stick em in anyway

those dials look wicked, bout £30 aint it

i'm really tempted to look for a VR6 unit, and have a bash at changing them over, how are the rev counter dials driven? by a sender like the speedo?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looks about right to me ?

mine you ill have the Seq shift light anyway so wont be looking at that

rev counters driven off a coil signal the same way - not sure how a 6cyl clock would affect it

nothing a resistor or some clever leccy wouldnt fix

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you wont be looking at the rev counter?

might have to get me a shift light

1 to set it low n high

2 to check its right :)

after that its a case of chasing the coloured lights across the dash - easier than a gauge anyday and adjustable both for signal and for brightness

even flashes like a crazy 2wat when it gets right on the limit [B)]

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KPB23lzHfHQ&feature=related

bit like this but with 8 of em and coloured green / yellow / red

adjustable for both start and finish points so could have it starting from 2k if wanted through to 8k or any combination i fancy really - need to get it in and test

sunny cheltenham Glos by the way

if you can squeeze in between the ibizza/ratrod/bike/autograss car + dragster i'd be glad to help but gonna be mad this summer

Chrisdaman

Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
where did you get that LCD dash from? does look cool

at the end of the day all i want is to have dial that look like the DDI ones, LED backlit, with black faces lol

good topic tho :D

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
thats not mine its off a VX Senator its diffferent to the 3 out of astra gte mk2's im playing with but they all shape the wrong way so i shelved em but fitted one to cavalier mk2 about 5yrs before nova boys realised how cool they were :p

couldnt find a pic anywhere but here's one starting up in video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8yWhuyg-c&feature=related

to change it to cool blue you just strip em and remove a few sheets of perspex inside as they light blue standard and have yellow/green/red acetate layered to change the colours

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.