Xcellence Lux - 1 Month / 1000 Mile Review

Jonny Brewer

Dec 4, 2018
I've had my Ibiza Xcellence Lux for a month now and it's just hit 1000 miles so I thought I would share my thoughts on here. I went for the 115PS engine which has been fantastic. Having a 6th gear is nice on the longer runs. The engine has plenty of power and is quite nippy around town and is nice and quiet even on the motorway at 70mph. My long term MPG is 44.5mpg. My usual driving is around town where I can get anything between 40mpg and 50mpg it really depends on the traffic and how lucky I am with traffic lights. If I can get at least 45mpg around town then I am happy. I did a 200 mile trip to Bedford and back from Lincoln and got 55.9mpg which isn't bad for a new engine. I've also driven to Grimsby and back from Lincoln which is an 80 mile round trip and got 58/59mpg both times. Averaging around 45mpg will get me at least 400 miles per tank and filling up costs me around £45 but that's V-Power!

The steering is nice and light and the car is generally very easy to drive, especially with the adaptive cruise control. The gearbox is smooth and has no problem is overtaking or joining the motorway. I've let a few people drive it and they couldn't believe that it was only a 1L 3-cylinder engine because of how nippy and smooth it was. Getting away from lights is no issue at all and if you need to get ahead of someone then just put your foot down and you will go!

I chose the magnetic grey colour and I am over the moon with how the car looks (especially with the Full LED Headlights - these are really awesome). I also added the SEAT body kit and pan roof and the car looks amazing. The interior looks so nice and is so comfy with the alcantara/leather seats and the leather dashboard. Everyone who has sat in my car has said about how comfy the seats are. The plastics on the dashboard and some trim panels are a bit hard but you really don't notice as the places you touch generally have nicer to touch materials such as the leather on the arm rests on the door. Having a centre arm rest is nice although it only slides fowards/backwards so if you adjust the height and then lean on it, it will go back down to the bottom. I have ran a USB cable for my phone from the front USB port hidden in the trim which comes out in the arm rest. This is so I can charge my phone and use apple car play without having messy cables in the tray in the centre console, it only took 5 mins to take off the trim and run the cable and looks really neat. Talking about looking neat, I also took apart the centre console trim and installed a wireless charging pad underneath the front tray and plugged that in to the 2nd USB port in the front and it works perfect everytime I chuck my phone in the tray (I will put some pictures below but can't show the phone charging as I don't have a camera).

The technology in the new ibiza is amazing. I love the digital cockpit and it is by far the best feature of this car. The display is extremely sharp and looks great. You can change the info you get in the centre of the dials (I have avg fuel consumption and the range) which is nice and then I usually run the nav in the centre of the dash. It is useful to be able to make phone calls from the dash and change the radio however I have noticed that you can't access your call list on the dash if you are connected via carplay and when you scroll to media it says 'Apple Carplay' rather than the track name and artist if you were connected via bluetooth. Being the xcellence lux, it comes with the keyless entry and start which is so handy, although only the driver's door is keyless and not the passenger's door. Also the boot has keyless entry which is a nice touch. The climate control is great and in the morning when it is cold, it does a great job of demisting and heating up the cabin. I also love the adaptive cruise and how easy it is to change the functions. You can change the cruise to either speed limiter or adaptive cruise. The centre screen is big and very clear and also very responsive, I have never had any sort of lag issues.

Another thing that's nice and I don't know if it's just with the digital cockpit or not but you can turn on 'eco tips' which comes up with useful tips on the dash to help you be more economical although mostly it's common sense.

Now a few complaints and there is only a few:

- The cup holders aren't very big and aren't in a great location, if I have a bottle in there then it can get in the way when I change gear so I tend not to use them.

- The boot floor is quite flimsy and thin so may consider getting a mat or something for the boot.

- When you have the wipers set for rain sensing, there is an annoying relay that comes on and off everytime they are activated.

- The touch screen gets lots of fingerprints all over it (I tend to keep a microfibre in the glove box and wipe nearly everyday)

So in summary, I am over the moon with the car and 100% chose the right model and colour. I will post some pics below. Feel free to ask any questions and leave any comments, thanks for reading!

Another Interior.jpg
Another Side View.jpg
Armrest.jpg
Centre Console.jpg
Digital Cockpit.jpg
Front Tray.jpg
Interior.jpg
Rear.jpg
Side View.jpg

MalteseSeat

Aug 1, 2018
Weird question but I have to ask it..

If you change any settings on the radio (such as switching off screen after 10s), does it keep the setting for you after you completely switch off the car and come back to it (say you went for work and went to drive home)?

As I have the same model without the digital cockpit and I can't get it to save settings..

Other than that, good choice <3 I have the Med Blue version in DSG

martay777

Nov 29, 2018
I've had mine for a week now and it really is a great drive. Noticeably different to my previous car - a 2006 Vauxhall Corsa :yes:

My only issue is that my brakes are beginning to let out a small squeak when they are applied (I've only done 300 miles).

Mar 8, 2019
I have ran a USB cable for my phone from the front USB port hidden in the trim which comes out in the arm rest. This is so I can charge my phone and use apple car play without having messy cables in the tray in the centre console, it only took 5 mins to take off the trim and run the cable and looks really neat. Talking about looking neat, I also took apart the centre console trim and installed a wireless charging pad underneath the front tray and plugged that in to the 2nd USB port in the front and it works perfect everytime I chuck my phone in the tray (I will put some pictures below but can't show the phone charging as I don't have a camera).

Just wondering how you ran the USB cable to the armrest underneath the centre console trim?

Last edited:

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
I've had mine for a week now(...)
My only issue is that my brakes are beginning to let out a small squeak when they are applied (I've only done 300 miles).
I also get the squeaking from the brakes, I’m assuming it’s just the pads bedding in as I’ve only done 250 miles currently.

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
Mine are still squeaking after 7000 miles.
It’s sounding as though it’s similar to the Skoda Citigo I had, that had squeaking brakes and that had done 6000 miles. Dealership for Skoda said they could strip them down, clean them up and put that grease stuff on (can’t remember what it’s called) for £75. Didn’t bother as they were working fine just gets abit irrating after a while.

Simon Barker

Dec 21, 2018
Quick question on digital dash, if you have on classic view I think the very top of dials is obscured. Tried moving my seat lower but unless it's at lowest setting as far as it goes it's same. Yours same?

Reactions: Danny77

Jonny Brewer

Dec 4, 2018
Quick question on digital dash, if you have on classic view I think the very top of dials is obscured. Tried moving my seat lower but unless it's at lowest setting as far as it goes it's same. Yours same?
I can see mine fine, just adjust the seat and steering wheel until you find a comfy position which you can still see all of the dash.

Simon Barker

Dec 21, 2018
I have and it's weird the just very top of the dial in classic just the tiny bit top of dials is obscured by the plastic surround just middle. My wife Arona is fine. I am not tall average height so it's bit weird. Going to sit in another car and see if it's same

martay777

Nov 29, 2018
Does anyone have an issue with rough shifting to first gear? It doesn't feel as smooth as all of the other gears.

martay777

Nov 29, 2018
I'm going to have the gears and brakes checked out on the 9th of April (the earliest appointment apparently). Did you receive a PDI certificate with your car?

Jonny Brewer

Dec 4, 2018
Just wondering how you ran the USB cable to the armrest underneath the centre console trim?
I ran it down the passenger side. Started by plugging into the USB port and then used a screwdriver to push the cable into the gap in the trim and then just did the same all the way until I got the cable next to the passenger seat then i just used a trim tool to take the back of arm rest off and ran the cable up the back of the arm rest and into it. You can't see any cables at all.

Reactions: LuM
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.