xenon bulbs?

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
is there such a thing as xenon bulbs? ive seen the conversion kits and HID upgrades etc but these seem to be expensive, are there any bulbs out there which give a similar effect? I see many taxi drivers etc driving about with a blue tinge light in an old corolla or something but im sure they aint fully upgraded?

any ideas?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Joe

There are many aftermarket bulbs that are a direct replacement for your existing H7 bulbs requiring no changes to wiring etc. Philips Xtreme Power get a good press as do Osram Silverstar. I have HID OE on my Leon but have fitted Halfords Blue Brilliance Bulbs to my old MR2 and g/f 406 and they are excellent IMO - almost as good as my OE HIDs.

www.Powerbulbs.co.uk is worth a look and there are loads of threads on here as well. If you want a blue look on my previous Leon i fitted Ultra Power Bulbs H7 and they were much bluer than my HIDs.

Rob

Last edited:

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
cheers mate :) will take a look at them.

So, i wont be getting the full HID effect where they take a while to heat up if im correct? but ill be getting the change in colour and a more brightness etc if i go for bulbs which you pointed out?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hey Joe

No you wont get the 'pop' type effect as the bulb warms up but apparently the bulbs do have Xenon gas in them. I think i am right in saying that true Xenon bulbs do not have a filament but of course halogen do. They will look better than standard but not quite the same as Xenon. If Halfords are doing 2 for the price of one I would go for them. I may pop in there later will let you know if they are.

Rob

Last edited:

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
will halfords not work out more expensive after just having a quick lool? that powerbuls do buy 1 get 1 free too, halfords are £20+ for singles by looks of it :s

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Are could be right i think they were £19.99 for a pair when i got mine.

N Jardine

Apr 2, 2009
Northern Ireland
hey

i got my bulbs from my local car shop £16 and they're brilliant. 50x brighter than standard. if you get them would recommend you to get the blue-ish side lights to match £6 or so, but really finishes it of.:)

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
No, xenon bulbs do not use a filament, it's two conductors with a bubble of xenon gas between, the 'pop' at start up is the ballast changing the voltage well over 20,000 volts and then stabilises to around 12-13v when they are 'heating up'
Just for your knowledge :)

Danny.

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I've tried the Philips Xtreme and Osram Nightbreakers and recently the Ring Xenon Max +100% and in my opinion the Ring bulbs just edge it

Got mine from Autobulbs Direct

Last edited:

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
is there any difference in the xenons that are a blue tinged or more whiter? or is it just preference

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
is there any difference in the xenons that are a blue tinged or more whiter? or is it just preference

The whiter or more blue they are generally means reduced light output I've had Philips Diamond Vision in the past and while they have a lovely blue/white tinge close to how a hid looks the output wasn't that great compared to the Xenon Max 100% or Nightbreakers etc

So boils down to whether you are interested in style or light output

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.