yellow faded paint?

fellowsuk

Apr 2, 2008
Sunny Wolverhampton!
just cleaned and waxed the leon tonight and the faded paint on different panels seems worse? does anyone have anytips what to use on the yellow paint to blend it in with the other panels? obvioulsy the plastic spoiler and fuel cap are the most yellow, roof i faded , and passenger door stand out? anytips i would be grateful as its looking like ive put the car together with different yellow leons!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
We used to have loads of problems with this colour at work, the problem is the actual colour is under the laquer and the sun light breaks down and fades the colour......but you can't really bring it back due to being under the laquer.

A decent compound sometimes helps but thats only because it takes some of scum out of the laquer aad makes it look cleaner

Seat have a crap reputation for paint, they stopped making Imperial blue to as it was very soft and prone to chips and scratches.

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
Seat have a crap reputation for paint.

Lets be honest now, its not just Seat. Since the introduction of water based paints I have read the same complaints on almost EVERY manufacturers forum I've been on. Even up to the like of Porsche.

Its something we all have to live with due to the poor water based paints manufacturers now use on their cars. I mean, I haven't owned a car made in the last 15 years that I haven't had to wash bird crap off almost instantly before the paint is marked.

:(

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
lol we had to change to water base due to the fact we were turning out 50-75 cars a week and our solvent levels were through the roof, in my opinion the water based paints were no difference in finish or quality.

Obviously your right about other manufactures having problems with certain colours.....but atleast they stop production of the faulty colours, just a shame for the people that have already bought them.

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
had a real bad problem with onvi yellow fade on mine. tried a few things but in the end went for the re-spray. £800 later looks spanking. got them to spray the black bits at the bottom of each bumper too. love it.\money well spent imo

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
interesting.... how old are these cars you speak of? (ie what year/plate) - I'd expect the older cars to be worse, so just trying to gauge how bad it gets and how quickly.

And £800 for a respray sounds cheap...?

ell0070

Feb 28, 2006
Jersey, Channel Islands
interesting.... how old are these cars you speak of? (ie what year/plate) - I'd expect the older cars to be worse, so just trying to gauge how bad it gets and how quickly.

And £800 for a respray sounds cheap...?

Mines January '02 - had to get every yellow swatch the paint shop had out to find a match for colout coding:cry:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
thanks. I suppose it also depends on where the car is kept - ie garage, driveway, how close to the sea etc etc....

cupra5548

Yellow fade

Have my Ovni Yellow cupra and cant stand it in certain lights because its faded in odd areas. Especially my wing mirrors, spoiler and petrol cap are just a totally different shade of yellow. I think its because they are plastic but does anybody know of some good polish to use or just general tips on how to make it look nicer??

Dec 19, 2006
This has been mentioned lots over the past and pretty sure that the same conclusion is drawn, either live with it or have a full respray done, I know as I have a ovni LC and it's faded massivily.
Have a search and it will bring up a whole load of posts and threads about it.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
As above, not really a lot we can do, a good waxing may make some marginal difference but i can't really see it myself.

Shame, but the most logical option is a respray :(

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Some says its due to the fuel filler cap, wing mirrors spoiler and sideskirts being plastic.
Some says it because they were painted at different locations on the factory, all I know is, it looks like ****... even on a black car!

Dec 19, 2006
Although the ovni yellow fades really bad I still think it's the best colour yellow out there, such a rich yellow unlike audi's new yellow on the A3 or on some skoda's.

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
My yellow lcr (as most do) also suffers from paint fade on the obvious areas... fuel cap, spolier etc.

I did price up a re-spray but it was just way too expensive for me at the moment.

Would is be possible to respray the non-faded areas, to match the faded ones? To make it less obvious, as a cheaper alternative?

Is it do-able?