Yet another gearbox Question....Help!

Super Deuces

Its a newbie!!!

Ok, i've scoured for all the gearbox threads and cant find one specific to me.

Ibiza 1.4 8v 1998/s reg

I repaired a clutch as it was 'grindin' ... release bearings maybe? No. Gearbox is shot.

So i need a gearbox asap but cant find one matching my APQ/DCJ boot sticker. I've been to the breakers and there are plenty of VW's, Seats but I cant match the codes.

What is the closest match that will fit?
I understand the ratio's should match but i'm not too fussy. if it fits and drives, i'll be happy.

Thanks for listening (with your eyes)

Super Deuces

I think i get that the ratio is 085, but do you or anyone know of specific gearbox codes that are similar enough to fit? I know its DCJ for mine, but there's several different codes off different cars with same engine size etc. I just want her back on the road asap :cry:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
also have a look at polos (mk4) if you can find one of these with the same engine size or ibiza... just grab the box off it... obviously check the gear selector tower is the same, but as long as its off the same sized engine youre not going to be fussed about the gearing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Po...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335dd6d80c

dont know where you are but if you could pick that up for peanuts i bet youd be sorted

Last edited:

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
I Just got a 2nd Hand Gearbox bout a week ago.
Was hard to find a APQ one.. but in the end got one out of a 01 Polo.

Super Deuces

also have a look at polos (mk4) if you can find one of these with the same engine size or ibiza... just grab the box off it... obviously check the gear selector tower is the same, but as long as its off the same sized engine youre not going to be fussed about the gearing

dont know where you are but if you could pick that up for peanuts i bet youd be sorted

Is this 085 code located on the boot sticker? My car is stuck at college where the mechanic is waiting to drop the new box in.

Cheers for spotting that on ebay, have been keeping my eye out but i'm right down south... cornwall :( 6.5 hours to north wales for that beauty.
Although the scrapper is literally on my doorstep they have several similar models like an arosa, a few golfs, etc.... would a diesel gearbox be similar? scrapman told me 8valves and 16valves have different boxes and won't match.

All your help is greatly appreciated guys. :funk:

Super Deuces

Amateur Gearbox Removal?

I need a new gearbox for my '98 ibiza, the best I could source locally is £75 in a remove it yourself scrapyard. What tools would I need and is it simple. Enough?

Im capable of anything mechanical as long as i know how, but having not done this before I'd rather check before committing. I don't have anyone to do it for me unfortunately, but well up for having a go. Is it a simple case of a socket set and some spanners?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Socket set and some spanners will get the box off in theory, but your gonna need the car up in the air as the gearbox will come out through the bottom and you might want a mate with you to take the weight etc.

You will have to disconnect everything like the gear linkage, clutch cable and clutch, but like i said i think the main thing will be a second set of hands for lifting/holding.

Super Deuces

Okay, so you would recommend someone with me to help with lifting etc... Is that just to get it out?

I was hoping a few jacks would raise it with enough clearance to slide it out underneath.

I do have a mechanic on standby waiting to put it in. and I'm desperate to get one asap but finding a second hand one for less than a 100 quid is proving rather elusive.

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
if you can get enough access to lower the entire engine and gearbox assembly to the floor with driveshafts, hubs and all still attached, which isn't hard with a couple of trolley jacks, splitting the box off is much easier as it doesn't need to be supported. Still handy to have extra hands though. Usual approach to this sort of strip in a scrappy is to speed up dismemberment by cutting wires, pipes, cables that you don't need as it's much quicker. I've seen driveshafts cut on this sort of removal before too, leaving a stub sticking out. If you can get away with this it's good cos it keeps the oil in the box til later, makes it cleaner to put in your boot. Check first before cutting shafts though. Owner prolly won't care about wires, pipes and cables as they're pretty much useless, but he might be planning to sell the driveshafts... :)

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
Well, yes, but every box i've pulled shafts out of has begun to dribble the stuff, and it stinks! Admittedly, knowledge on this limited to multiple peugeots, fords and k-metros, not done heavy jobs on vag cars.
Pretty sure on some fords it's actually the only way to get the oil out.

Either way, there is a good reason to leave at least one stub in if it's going to get moved and possibly bounced around in a boot!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
OK, well it won't get him wet doing it on the gearbox in question

If the driveshafts have been cut, it's going to be almost impossible to remove the stubs, so I would strongly advise you dismantle, rather than cut.

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
I'll bear that in mind, thanks!

What's the problem with getting the shafts clear going to be? I'm used to cars where you just drift them out with a hammer and cold chisel, cos they're circlipped in on the inside and impossible to pull out without wrecking inboard cv's, hence my method.

Still say splitting box from engine on floor is easier and safer than in car, if you have a choice though. Less lifting and heaving, better access and much less chance of damaging the input shaft.

Sorry to have confused the subject with non-vag driveshafts!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
they use bolts made of cheese with the worlds smallest 10 sided hex head.

I've done it both ways, but doing the engine on the ground method is 'ok' but is not easy if you're on your own as the engine topples away

I removed, and replaced the gearbox on my old 1.4 in a 'normal' manner as my first 'big' and found it easy enough

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members