Yet another problem! please help!

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Okay so i have another problem to add to the list since buying my 1.6 mk1 Leon.

i was driving to work yesterday and all of a sudden it started running like a bag of nails with the engine light flashing. the engine code was 16686 which is a misfire in cylinder 2, this code was logged twice on my scanner! i don't know if that means anything? i know its not the spark plugs because i changed them when i bought the car a month ago, so i changed the ignition coil for that cylinder and that has not fixed it. After this was done when i was driving to the gym across town whenever i was changing down the gears the engine would cut out! it happened 6 or 7 time during a 10 minute drive! so annoying!

Anyway i arranged to use another car whilst i was getting this fixed....again! however i have found out that the misfire only happens when the aircon is switched off! When the zircon is off you can hear the misfire in the exhaust however when you turn it on you can't hear a thing!

should i be worried? does anyone know what this is?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Thanks for your reply! So I've changed the spark plugs and the cool pack and it's still miss firing!

The other things are a bit beyond my skill set I think so it may have to go to my mechanic again!

Is it strange that the same code is logged twice when it's scanned and that you can't hear the misfire in the exhaust when the aircon is on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I wouldn't pay any attention to the aircon. The aircon puts a loading on the engine which may affect its running conditions. It's not strange that the same code reappears as it will do until the error that the ecu recognises is removed. Are you resetting/clearing the codes when you are scanning the ecu?

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Okay I didn't mean to write pup! Must have sat on my phone!

I haven't cleared the codes this time, I think I'm going to leave them and let my mechanic look at it! I know that if I cleared the codes they would come back if I hadn't fixed the problem, just wasn't sure why the same code would appear twice!

When I scan it, it says I have 3 codes, 2 of which are the same misfire on cylinder 2 and the other one is about the excessive flow in my egr valve i already know about!

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I see. I use rosstech vcds-lite which I haven't encountered this phenomenon. It could be a break in the wiring from the ecu to the coil pack. A resistance test could let you know if that's the case.

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Well it's booked into the mechanic on the 24th! Do you think it's worth buying an ammeter for a fiver off eBay or just leave it to the mechanic?

Also is it safe to drive until then?

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
It would only be worth buying if your going to use it for something else. As for being safe it sounds like it's losing power if it has a misfire. I wouldn't be happy driving it when it comes to the likes of pulling out of junctions or if you need to overtake safely. Hope you get her sorted.

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Well since driving with the aircon on it's been driving fine! It hasn't cut out or anything at all and you can't even hear it misfire when it's on!

Come to think of it when I changed the coil earlier the clip that goes into it look a bit mangled! I wonder if the person I got it off changed it and damaged the connection?

My dad said there could be an electrical fault and that maybe the wires for the aircon are interfering with something?

I don't know I guess I'll drive it for now and if it gets any worse ill sort out another car I can drive until it goes in on the 24th

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members