Cheap HID's

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This is a well timed conversation, as I've recently ordered some 4-in-1 LED sidelights from AutoBulbsDirect on eBay ready for fitting with my HID kit. Cost £7.99 inc postage and I went for the white ones, so should be a good enough match :)

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
Mine arrived today. Fitting tomorrow afternoon by which time I hope to have figured out where I want to mount the ballasts.

Fitted mine over the weekend (did it with the 8000K bulbs whilst still awaiting the 6000K to be delivered).

I managed to virtually conceal all evidence of the ballast boxes with a rather neat install.
Passenger side real easy, as there's a shelf right under the headlamp and the ballast fits right onto this -- I used dual-lock (modern velcro stuff) to keep it here. Then with the cover over the top - you see nothing !!!

Drivers side there is a shelf underneath but a whole lot more difficult to get to. I looked up from the bottom (just inside the bumper) and could see the shelf and its also got a pre-drilled hole. Ballast mounting bracket fitted right on and from the top its completely invisible - bar the grommet and wires feeding it.

Top job -- although 8000Ks just a little too blue for my liking. But apparently the correct ones on there way (@ no extra cost to me)

Wrighty

Aug 21, 2005
Derbyshire
according to that dodgy chinese website, they attempted to deliver mine twice yesterday, hoping they'll be back today. not bad to say i ordered on the 30th January.

shame im not going to get to fit them for a couple of weeks til im back on my feet :(

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
I can vouch for the brightness off the HID's on Tedvegas' cupra 'R', was at a meet with him last night.

A comment made by one of the lads was ' his lights are well bright, i coudnt see anything when he came steaming up behind me'......so they are pretty bright then, and the light of them looks smart!

@ TED i was sat near you at the table and had the large parmo that wasnt mine!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I can vouch for the brightness off the HID's on Tedvegas' cupra 'R', was at a meet with him last night.

A comment made by one of the lads was ' his lights are well bright, i coudnt see anything when he came steaming up behind me'......so they are pretty bright then, and the light of them looks smart!

That's great to know they are nice and bright.... but the comment made about not seeing anything when he's behind worries me. To me that would suggest they need to be aligned and dipped a bit.

Tedvegas - Did you get your headlights aligned after fitting them?

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
I must admit that did cross my mind, he said he was scrambling fot the rear view mirror to dip it!

The colour they give off is smart like!

I unfortunately cant justify spending the money on them :(

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
yep....get out the violin....

Im 22, electrical apprentice, with a mortgage, a baby, and a lot of bills to pay!

I also have to find £750 excess for my car insurance :(

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I'm just wondering, is a garage gonna happily align them for me even though they are "illegal"? How much does the alignment cost?

Mig

Wrighty

Aug 21, 2005
Derbyshire
That sucks, what's up mate?

had a bit of an op last week, going to be about 4-6 weeks before i can get behind the wheel :cry:

you werent parked up in Fareham at the garage by the station a couple of weeks back were you? was down there with work and saw a nice ovni cupra.

anyways, back on topic. just taken delivery of my HID's from the parcel man. impressed with the overall quality. not complaining for £70 and 6 days from ordering :D

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Don't you start ;)

Alignment shouldn't cost more than £10-15 tops. It's not a huge job.

I'm not starting :happy: , was just wondering because I ordered a set and want them to be aligned properly. TBH they need alignment already because I lowered the car and the back sits a little lower then front, therefore shining lights a bit higher then they should be :whistle: . So for the time being I'm just having to dip/lower them using the interior switch.

Can't wait :D

monkeyboy123987

Aug 2, 2005
Thought I'd mention this, given the current interest in HID kits. This was posted on another forum I visit (TalkAudio) so all credit to the poster who found them.

http://www.mydepots.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

I've just ordered a set so fingers crossed the quality and fitment is good! Worked out at around £65 including postage to the UK :)

(edit) You can change the currency on the lower right hand side of the page :)

Just about to order a set you did get the H7 ones?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Wrighty - I'm in the same situation so I know how you feel. Can't drive for another week or so yet, not that I have a car to drive :lol:

monkeyboy - Yeah I ordered the H7 kit, which is for the main driving beam. According to other HID owners there is little to be gained from upgrading the main beams as well... just get some decent Halogen lights in there.

I've just received my LED sidelights in the post today and they look good. Quick service from Autobulbsdirect on eBay too so hopefully they look good when fitted :)

monkeyboy123987

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks RobM just order a set now will let you know how I get on with them!!! great find by the way keep up the good work!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise