Cheap HID's

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well I have spent 3 hours fitting mine. Took so long because I wanted it to be a proper OEM style job. So now on the left side of the engine bay you can't see even a single wire, and on the right you can just about see the top of the ballast peeking out from behind the battery. OK job to do but taking out and putting back the Air Filter unit in the 2.0 16v engine is a NIGHTMARE.

Anyways, onto the lights. All I can say is WOW. When I did a comparison one normal light and one HID, it looked like one of the headlamps had a dead battery. Visibility is awesome and loving having a crisp clear light ahead of me rather then a yellowy road. THE best £60 I have ever spent on a car :D

Will try and post up some pics.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I had mine checked and was told they were a bit low if anything, which I find hard to believe. Will get them checked again when my car goes in for it's service.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I couldn't agree more! Just watching the way the light shines on the road and the back of other peoples cars highlights that fact. On setting 0 in the cabin light adjuster (i.e. normal, highest position) the light is fine when you're on a flat stretch of road, but as soon as you go up a slight incline or a bump or something, you can see the light rises quite a lot. So having it down on level 1 seems the best idea for me at the moment.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
How much did the alignment cost you guys??Because I'm not too sure I'd want to be paying £15 for it as I might as well use the Guide posted earlier and align them using that.

Cheers

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
K, just phoned up my local garage and they said that if the adjusters move freely (will have to check), then its £6.50. So might as well do that and have the peace of mind that its been done properly.

Mig

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
For that sort of money it's well worth doing I think. Better safe than sorry and if you can avoid blinding oncoming traffic, well, that's always a bonus :)

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
always in the southampton area mate i live there i am off work all of next week so any time next week mate, you can have a demo in a 300lbs ft monster too if you want

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Sounds good to me! Will have a think about what days I'm free and I'll drop you a PM. Will have to be an evening, obviously, to show the lights off properly.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Had them properly aligned now and the visibility is even better. Sooooo chuffed with them :D . But there is one slight problem. As I switch them on (from cold),because they need an initial 45000v, my cluster dials shake/switch off a for a second and then work as normal. But the trip counter as well as the clock reset them selves. Weird as for example my head unit doesn't loose its memory.

Mig

Feb 1, 2007
gloucester
ordered a set of e bay bosch ones , from honk kong , £85 , and they are real easy to fit , they retail for over 350 in england , the item number is 200079999621.

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
Simple questions first what builbs are in the S1 Leon H1 or H7?

Second, all those with HID please dip them when you are behind an Elise, standard dips are a pain HID's ouch I'm blind.

Oh and never have your fogs on unless seariously foggy, you o not look cool but I'm sure poepl on har don't do that

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Bulbs for the Mk1 Leon is a H7 for the main driving beam. If you check out the HID Info stick post at the top of the forum it lists all the bulbs and what fitment is needed.

And yes, fog lights with no fog isn't big and it isn't clever... it makes you look a plank!

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
ordered a set of e bay bosch ones , from honk kong , £85 , and they are real easy to fit , they retail for over 350 in england , the item number is 200079999621.

Thats exactly the same kit as our mydepots kits. Could have saved yourself £20 mate.

They're labelled Bosch or sometimes Hella. In reality, I doubt they've ever been within 100 miles of a Bosch or Hella factory.

Here's the price conversion for today's kits from mydepots:

$95 for the kit and $32.37 shipping.

127.37 US Dollar = 65.29183 British Pound

Interbank rate +/- 0%

Median price = 0.51253 / 0.51262 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 0.51155 / 0.51162
Maximum price = 0.51372 / 0.51379

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The MyDepots ballasts have 'Hella Technology' on them so they are probably just the same as the eBay ones. I think you'll probably find that most of them come from the same manufacturer anyway, there can't be THAT many places in the far east that make them! ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.