New Cupra or an Old LCR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
If the LCR had the Golf mk5 chassis and an extra 40hp then I might agree that the LCR could be the better car, but looks aren't everything...

caveo

Here's the proof
SCAN0001.jpg

Number 5 in Awesome's Seat charts...

Awsome roller are known to give ott figures , but still good for 300 bhp ish with remap.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Awsome roller are known to give ott figures , but still good for 300 bhp ish with remap.

ROTFLMAO - there we go .... anything *not* to believe the results posted can come from a Mk2 Leon with a few mods, especially when someone else may have spent £5K getting the Mk1 to about the same ...

FWIW - the results on the day were actually slightly lower / spot on what people were expecting from their cars so i'd say they were pretty much bang on.

Face it Mk2's with a few mods produce stunning engine power, add that to a chassis that can cope with the power without torque steering all over the place and suddenly it becomes a very quick motor!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Well being a current LCR i might have a different view to the rest of the MK2 owners here.

The LCr is the far better looking car, TBH I didn't like the look of the MK2 but now its growing on me, I've seen DJHoraces one in the skin and its VERY nice.
AND I'm sorry to say it but given the choice for similar money with a modding head on.....................................................................
I'd go for the MK2 Cupra.
I find it very difficult to believe that a MK2 managed 400 ft-lbs with a generic remap, very difficult to believe.
I know a guy who have the same remap and it made 300 ft-lbs, so no way the same map would differ by 100 ft-lbs

Go for the MK2 dude you won't regret it

Cheers Wil. Funny how we stood and had this discussion on Tuesday at Makro :)

I agree that the LCR is meaner looking and that the MK2 has the MPV look about it by comparison. Your car in black is real nice.

With regard to power, I know a lad with an awesome silky smooth LCR with TBE, uprated intake and remap, and it produces the same power as my LC on standard code and TBE only.

It will be interesting to see which user on here gets the Cupra to stage 2 + which is uprated intercooler, uprated air intake, turbo back exhaust, uprated fuel pump and code to match. I know of a lad that is almost there, but I will leave him to make people aware of his progress when he has it all sorted.

As I see it, the steps are as follows based on figures I have seen posted about

Standard LC - 255bhp approx
Standard LC with TBE and uprated air intake - 270bhp approx
Remapped LC with remap alone - 300bhp approx
Remapped LC with uprated air intake - 305bhp approx
Remapped LC with TBE - 320bhp approx
Remapped LC with TBE and decent intake - 325bhp approx
Remapped LC with TBE, decent intake and uprated intercooler - 330bhp approx
Remapped LC with TBE, decent intake, uprated intercooler, uprated fuel pump - 335bhp approx
Remapped LC with TBE, decent intake, uprated intercooler, uprated fuel pump and stage 2 code - 345bhp approx

Having studied it a bit, the big problem on the TFSi engine is the poor standard fuel pump which is not up to the job. Even on standard cars with no mods, some logs have shown they can run a little lean while the actual fuel pump pressure catches up with the commanded fuel pump pressure.

Given that delivered fuel pressure can reach over 125 Bar (yes thats right 125 Bar) or 1800PSI, it is much different from the 1.8T engine found in the LCR. Also, the K04 turbo specification between the LCR and MK2 LC is different in that the MK2 LC turbo is twin scroll and therefore better able to move air than the K04 found in the LCR.

Also, the front intercooler in the MK2 LC is the same as the one found in the MK2 Leon TFSi Sport and FR, and for that matter tha Golf GTi and Ed30. Despite being much more efficient than the twin pods on the MK1 LCR, they are prone to heat soak, especially when remapped as more heat is generated on the K04 than the K03s in the FR/GTi. The S3 intercooler has been tested to be 20-40% more efficient with its bigger capacity and metal ends over the LC intercooler. Therefore it does not increase power, but stops the car from losing it through heat soak.

Gains from the exhaust and intake on the MK2 LC are not perhaps as large as might be the case on the 1.8T but it has been reported that the OEM exhaust is reasonably efficient.

However the fuel pump is still the current question mark for the K04 cars. The K03s cars have been done already, and several Octavia VRS's, Golf GTi's and an FR TSI Leon, and they have made high 200's and one or two touching 300bhp. This is on the standard turbo, and up 20bhp or so over the same car with stock pump and stage 1 code. Thats 100bhp over standard. Add 100bhp over the claimed 240bhp figure on the LC and you should be close as the LC makes 60bhp over stock with a remap where the TFSI 200bhp engine makes approx 50bhp. That 340-350bhp figure is more than some MK1's have made with GT28RS Turbo's.

The other issue is the cam lobe wear as the fuel pump is driven off the camshaft. However it has been reported that this issue was on some earlier TFSi engines having dodgy camshafts.

Still early days for the TFSi engine though, but with luck, its gonna be a cracker just like the 1.8T was :)

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
If the LCR had the Golf mk5 chassis and an extra 40hp then I might agree that the LCR could be the better car, but looks aren't everything...

So,remap,coilovers and roll bars on a LCR,job done.Im joking!:)Like for like as standard cars new cupra will wipe the floor with a LCR in the handling department,it is a very good chasis set up,but it needed to be about a good inch lower from factory to make it look better.
I know new cupra uses independant rear suspension which is meant to be better,but just remember that renault use so called old technology on some of there cars to great effect-megane R26,(yes i know it has lsd too,but still has a good suspension set up).But still a great set up with the cupra.When i drove new cupra on test drive it felt safer on public roads,whereas LCR felt more on the limit,dont know if this means new cupra was any faster on corners,i suspect it was,its hard to say on roads,you need to get on to a track to do them both justice.This is when mine had standard suspension on it btw.Now it would be a very different story and my LCR would kick new cupra's ass all over the shop on a track or road,but then you are not being fair comparing tuned to standard.

Xe

The Leon mk2 looks stunning compared to the dated look of the Leon mk1 (yogurt pot on wheels imo) Ok so thats a bit harsh :p

Last edited by a moderator:

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006

I thought awesomes rollers were actually renowned to be on the mean side and if anything under read power figures if anything.I made 250hp and 320ft/lbs at the wheels on the same day at awesome when Igor23 cupra was there,i thought my figures were pretty much bang on for what i have done to my car,so i dont see why his figures wouldnt be correct too,it did have alot of torque,you could tell it had alot of shove by the way it span the rollers up.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
OK, leaving aside modifications for a mo' :

I preferred the steering feel of my LCR (apart from the heavy, numb feel at low speed).
I preferred the more progressive brakes on my LCR.

Everything else just feels so much better on the new car. It corners flatter and harder, settling down into the corner and pulling out of it cleanly rather than rolling alarmingly and pushing its outside front wheel all the time. It pulls hard further round the rev counter (and makes a half decent noise doing it). It doesn't torque steer, follow the road camber or tramline like the LCR did.

And I loved my LCR to bits - trips for a pint of milk frequently ended up taking an hour as I couldn't resist just driving it and I used to set off up to the Lakes at 6am on a Sunday morning for a 2hr blast on clear roads.

The Mk1 Leon is an all-time classic design and still looks great now. The LCR even more so - they just got everything so right with that car.

When the Mk2 came out, I took a long time to warm to it. But now it feels to me like the progression from the Mk1 that it is. And I love my new one to bits as well.

caveo

So what does a mk2 cupra retail at ? and are there any plans to beef it up with an r version?

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
OTR is 19.5k, however I wouldn't expect to pay much more than 17.5k for one as long as I looked in the right places. As for an "R" the concensus on here is no. Furthermore if you look at the spate of special editions they have made (K1, Linea R, Copa) I doubt they are going to make a bespoke "R".

In essence the current cupra is the "R" (flagship model) with the FRs taking the place of the old 180 and 150TDi cupras.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
OK, leaving aside modifications for a mo' :

I preferred the steering feel of my LCR (apart from the heavy, numb feel at low speed).
I preferred the more progressive brakes on my LCR.

Everything else just feels so much better on the new car. It corners flatter and harder, settling down into the corner and pulling out of it cleanly rather than rolling alarmingly and pushing its outside front wheel all the time. It pulls hard further round the rev counter (and makes a half decent noise doing it). It doesn't torque steer, follow the road camber or tramline like the LCR did.

And I loved my LCR to bits - trips for a pint of milk frequently ended up taking an hour as I couldn't resist just driving it and I used to set off up to the Lakes at 6am on a Sunday morning for a 2hr blast on clear roads.

The Mk1 Leon is an all-time classic design and still looks great now. The LCR even more so - they just got everything so right with that car.

When the Mk2 came out, I took a long time to warm to it. But now it feels to me like the progression from the Mk1 that it is. And I love my new one to bits as well.

good mini write up mate,
everyone seems to say that the new cupra out performs the LCR in everyway, the thing i cant get my head around is the fact that SEAT sport sorted to the LCR but they were never involved with the cupra....:shrug::headhurt:

a few months back i went into my local stealers for a few little bits for my car, and while i was there they had a candy white leon cupra K1 in there..
...now, im no fan of the new shape cupra but the K1 kit looks a little more aggressive..had a look inside, outside etc, and i think they look even better up close....£19500 it was going for, but they are really growing on me now...

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
10 years newer technology though.. :) - thats probably where most of the better stuff comes from rather than who develops it.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
good mini write up mate,
everyone seems to say that the new cupra out performs the LCR in everyway, the thing i cant get my head around is the fact that SEAT sport sorted to the LCR but they were never involved with the cupra....:shrug::headhurt:

Don't believe the hype, SEAT Sport bolted on a few aftermarket bits the car's were produced in a factory alongside every other SEAT that rolled out.

The suspension quickly became crashy, usually from leaky dampers. The brakes used rubbish pads and needed replacing and the Pirelli tyres were shocking.

Come to think of it, just like the new Cupra too. :cartman:

Maximus2000uk

I was quite suprised to see how much quicker the LCR was, in comparison to the current FR - it was on one of the videos.

Maximus2000uk

Ah, ok! Thank g_d for that!

I shall now display no fear when I pull up next to an LCR at traffic lights!

Maximus2000uk

Haha quite true, although I've actually already been hit by a car before (was walking on a zebra-crossing), so now, the only thing I fear, are A-classes!

There is a chap on my road who has an LCR & keeps joking about having a quick race. I've never relented for fear of losing, but I think I should win. Any ideas about the 0-60 times for the LCR? I know the FR DSG is 6.9ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.