TMC Not Working

Jun 5, 2023
Hi Everyone,
Recently got a Mk3.5 Leon. It came without the SD Card for Nav, so I purchased one online.
The maps work fine however TMC isn't working. The traffic page shows no reports, and TMC has a line through it.
FM radio works and I think RDS is enabled.
Any suggestions on what I can do?
SD card is from SatNavWorld.com

Cheers

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
It looks like the UK Government changed the company that it uses to supply live traffic information recently. Now it's understandable why the Trafficmaster service has stopped for in-car systems, they didn't just withdraw the service, they lost their main source of income and the reason to provide the data.

Too much to hope that the next map update is amended to use the Inrix information?

Tell

Staff member
It looks like the UK Government changed the company that it uses to supply live traffic information recently. Now it's understandable why the Trafficmaster service has stopped for in-car systems, they didn't just withdraw the service, they lost their main source of income and the reason to provide the data.

Too much to hope that the next map update is amended to use the Inrix information?
Vag has a reputation of dumping services early. With mib3 out they discontinued their support for user POI updates and the radio logo update icon page so its highly unlikely they will do anything. The maps themselves have historically had a five year update period so that's why we are seeing mib2 updates. The rest gets dumped.

There are DIY solutions for both mib2 standard and mib2 high TMC:

User POIs

Radio icons

You just got too role your sleeves up or find someone to do it.

Tell

Staff member
Hi Everyone,
Recently got a Mk3.5 Leon. It came without the SD Card for Nav, so I purchased one online.
The maps work fine however TMC isn't working. The traffic page shows no reports, and TMC has a line through it.
FM radio works and I think RDS is enabled.
Any suggestions on what I can do?
SD card is from SatNavWorld.com

Cheers
See post 22 above and follow through. Mib2 high solution is just business as usual with the Inrix data provider after VCDS / Obdeleven Pro coding. For the mib2 standard (which you have), you need to revert to V12 maps (2020) and use a copy module to enable Inrix. Best that can be done on that one. We've had the best brains on this one across UK Vag user boards and that's the solution.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
Vag has a reputation of dumping services early. With mib3 out they discontinued their support for user POI updates and the radio logo update icon page so its highly unlikely they will do anything. The maps themselves have historically had a five year update period so that's why we are seeing mib2 updates. The rest gets dumped.

There are DIY solutions for both mib2 standard and mib2 high TMC:

User POIs

Radio icons

You just got too role your sleeves up or find someone to do it.
Mib2 update has worked perfectly, thank you.

Traffic alerts available and roadworks showing on map. Just hoping V12 is new enough to include the Aberdeen bypass that opened fully early 2019.

Reactions: Tell

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
Thanks to all those that have contributed here. I have a 64 plate Leon FR with MIB1 and V15 map (2019-202). With the information provided here and in the briskoda forum I was able to reinstate TMC on my system. I purchased the OBD11 device with Pro subscription. Once registered and connected I followed the process. Scanned for faults (and there are a few minor ones to deal with), then in the app went to the infotainment tab, then adaptations and searched TMC. For my system the code was 21 which I changed to 14. System rebooted by long press on power button. After a minute the TMC indication appeared on the dashboard display then a minute or two later the traffic reports appeared.

For anyone in East Kent, the Dover Classic FM transmitter appears to have broken RDS and has been that way for a month or two. So TMC will only work in range of Wrotham. I will see if I can find someone that cares enough to sort out Dover! Maintenance of these broadcast sites is not what it used to be.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Glad it worked for you. TMC code group 14 for whether it is mib1 standard or high is the solution on Seats. Again TMC code group 14 for Seat mib2 high.

For Seat mib2 standard the special technique linked to above. No coding is required on that one but you do use 5 year old maps and modified modules. (The Mib2 high solution uses current maps.)

Non Seat mib2 high with connected services the code covered in the earlier posts. There is no solution for Delphi units fitted to mib2 standard but these are only on non Seats. That's covered in the links.

For the mib2 high the mib2 high tool box can be used instead of coding if you don't have VCDS or Obdeleven Pro although it might be easier to just buy a coding tool. This project by Chillout.

A number of solutions and options.

Reactions: DaveS

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for all the contributions guys.
@Tell
For a secondary SD Card, can I use any SD card or does it have to be VAG?
How does it work switching between?
It has to be a Vag card, you can then swap backwards and forwards as you like. One proviso that favourites have to be set up again if you remove the card and swap. Click on gas stations etc. Take a picture of favourites and rebuild, same as a map update. All personal destinations are held within the unit and are preserved between changing cards, only the build in POI selection group needs reselecting. Check boxes.

We are opting here for old maps with TMC but can put in the most up-to-date map if we like. Generally it's good see traffic conditions on the screen over new roads in the last 5 years for the mib2 standard. On trips to England that's on the mib2 high so up-to-date maps (if you do your FeCs) plus TMC. For mib2 standard it's what ever works for you. Old maps with TMC or new maps without. In Wales we hit the M4 so it's good to see what the problems are and delays.

Jun 5, 2023
It has to be a Vag card, you can then swap backwards and forwards as you like. One proviso that favourites have to be set up again if you remove the card and swap. Click on gas stations etc. Take a picture of favourites and rebuild, same as a map update. All personal destinations are held within the unit and are preserved between changing cards, only the build in POI selection group needs reselecting. Check boxes.

We are opting here for old maps with TMC but can put in the most up-to-date map if we like. Generally it's good see traffic conditions on the screen over new roads in the last 5 years for the mib2 standard. On trips to England that's on the mib2 high so up-to-date maps (if you do your FeCs) plus TMC. For mib2 standard it's what ever works for you. Old maps with TMC or new maps without. In Wales we hit the M4 so it's good to see what the problems are and delays.
Cheers, do you have any links for an SD card that would work?

I'm having issues with my current maps, where whenever I set a destination, as soon as I choose a route maps crashes and says nav database unavailable. Any ideas on this one at all?

Tell

Staff member
Cheers, do you have any links for an SD card that would work?

I'm having issues with my current maps, where whenever I set a destination, as soon as I choose a route maps crashes and says nav database unavailable. Any ideas on this one at all?
On your issue it could be a corrupted map card. The cards can give up the ghost. You could scan it for "bad sectors" in the old terminology. Right click properties you find it.

That one checks for whether it's been pulled out etc whilst being written and made good. It won't correct a defective card.

The other one is whether a Mac has been involved. CleanMyDrive utility run on the SD removes Mac end of file markers etc that the unit isnt expecting. On mib2 highs its an issue. Doesnt really come up on mib2 standard but a chance that it can be a problem.

The other one these cards don't take too kindly to being reformatted rather than just a delete everything. Safer to mark the whole lot up and just delete it. Windows 10 / 11 format had an issue where it changed the cluster size. Should be fat32 cluster size 4096. But in the first instance never reformat them but delete, but if reformatted them get them back to 4096 cluster size.

If you do buy a new SD card a Seat, VW or Skoda mib2 map card can be used - they are interchangeable. I bought a Skoda one once. 32gb card holds all of Europe. 16gb you use the zone downloads. A decent eBay seller with many positive reviews will do. Google is your friend. Should be about £25.

Recently did have a rebooting mib2 standard that turned out to be a music file containing a jpeg with above 512x512 image size. Embedded. Tricky to diagnose but that was it. Deleted the image and it was fine. Mentioned it on a thread. This is where the infotainment unit goes outside of the program limits so crashes.

A reboot, long press till you see the logo reappear fixes where the infotainment unit program is running outside of memory. Could try that if not already. Didn't fix the jpeg big image since that was an undocumented program constraint.

A new card you still have to do the workaround described here:

Switching cards after an update a reboot is always recommended. Long press.

Last edited:

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
A result for Dover. RDS and therefore presumably TMC is back on Classic FM Dover Swingate transmitter. It must have been sorted late yesterday. I did not have a lot of hope that my complaint would reach the right person.

Reactions: lfc84 and Tell
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.