Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
I downloaded the file on Briskoda yesterday, the Skoda one, and as you say it doesn't unpack properly, lots of errors. The size when unzipped is nearly 200mb smaller than the 330 maps.
Yes the Audi mib2 high only file is error free and works. If it's true that because the TT was fitting mib2 highs beyond when mib3 came out the 5 year extension we would be looking at them beyond 2025 - so good to know it works with the Audi mib2 high only download ✔. We might be using them till 2027 or so with any luck.

The Skoda mib1 / mib2 high server one has now been withdrawn from the servers if you access via a Skoda VIN. No link, it was there but the Skoda community found the issue. RoW is fine for unzipping although you'd have to install the RoW life long FeCs to test with the toolbox. Didn't bother. That's how Ozzies get their personal import mib2 high European infotainment units to work. Helped one out once finding the FeC code in the mib2 high toolbox documentation. Mr Bonk Github stuff.

Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
OK no need too get too excited with the Skoda mib2 standard release, just appeared, 2110. Skoda runs 6 months behind on the standard release to VW so just released the June one we already have. This one:

The Skoda high release zip file is still corrupted, confirmed by German boards. No change. Then mibsolutions 350 one is fine.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Hi All
I thought I would update my map with the link from Tell's post.
I have downloaded it and unpacked it and the folder structure seems completely different.
Currently I have on my card a structure of:
Maps folder opening to :
00 which opens to :
CFG IDB NDS RA SDS with RA and IDB being empty
and
EEC which opens to
EEC_WLD folder
and product.nds file

On the down load the folder structure is
MIB2 opening to
NAV DB opening to country list folders
SPEECHRES VDE opening to country folders
TRUFFLES opening to country folders.

obviously there are lots of sub folders etc but none of them or the files seem to relate to my previous file structure.

Have I been thick and downloaded the wrong maps?
I have a 19 reg leon with the navi 17 unit ( the one with two buttons on the left and volume, 2 sd cards in the glovebox but no video support)

Thanks in advance

Tell

Staff member
Hi All
I thought I would update my map with the link from Tell's post.
I have downloaded it and unpacked it and the folder structure seems completely different.
Currently I have on my card a structure of:
Maps folder opening to :
00 which opens to :
CFG IDB NDS RA SDS with RA and IDB being empty
and
EEC which opens to
EEC_WLD folder
and product.nds file

On the down load the folder structure is
MIB2 opening to
NAV DB opening to country list folders
SPEECHRES VDE opening to country folders
TRUFFLES opening to country folders.

obviously there are lots of sub folders etc but none of them or the files seem to relate to my previous file structure.

Have I been thick and downloaded the wrong maps?
I have a 19 reg leon with the navi 17 unit ( the one with two buttons on the left and volume, 2 sd cards in the glovebox but no video support)

Thanks in advance
Sure you haven't got a mib2 standard. They show a part number that starts with 6P for Seat which is the traditional give away used by Seat for the mib2 standard units. They use a Seat map card if it's a Seat. Currently, VAG hasn't released the November release, the Mib2 high one is out which I suspect you have downloaded.

The "resource" is this:

This bit to tell:

>>
How do I know which unit I have ?

Press the “NAV” Button >

Confirm the “Setup” >

“Version information” selection on the display.

Check the first text line in "Version information".

If the first three digits are 6P0 it's a mib2 standard (serial number is also on the card)

5F with a mapping card in the slot it's mib1 standard

If not it's a mib1 or 2 "Navi System Plus" (no card in the slot)

(Other techniques are available - that's that the Seat website test)
<<

The section below that covers how to do it and you must use the workaround

The current map file for the mib2 standard is this:

The June post above.

"We" are waiting for the Mib2 standard November release but it hasn't shown up yet. Possible a production problem in the VAG contractors.

If it's a mib2 high, Ive coverted that and for a Seat you have to mod your FeCs. For a mib2 standard that workaround does the mod of your FeCs. Clever guy that worked that out in 2017 that posted here. All about FeCs in the resource for the mib2 high. For the mib2 high you either be brave and go to the 1447AIO firmware on the Mibsolutions site. Use the Mib2 high Toolbox or send you unit East Yorkshire Retrofit who will do it for you. Mib2 highs were fitted in all European Seat Cupras before face lift. Leon people who fitted them. themselves or you spent the extra at then time of purchase. Vast majority of Seats with mib2 are standard. Test above except where the part number is hacked. The card if it's a Seat one will mention 6P on the bottom line.

Reactions: Newman77

redone

Nov 28, 2023
@Tell I was searching, then scanning the Briskoda thread and saw pcbbc mentioned:

”it’s just a matter of licencing with INRIX and including the tables and necessary configuration with a map update”. MHI2 just needs the channel changing (15 -> 14). So it seems to be a data/format issue for >V12 maps rather than licensing. Also, “some TomTom products include their location tables”. Is mentioned and also Volvo.

This was back in May. There are another 20 pages. Not sure what happened in between. Other than the V12 hack which you mention on the present page of the aforementioned thread. I’d like to have V18. Did someone search/find a marque using tomtom and inrix (that could be merged with vag tomtom maps)? Seems likely data is a standard format. Have they given up on Briskoda? seems slow now.

Tell

Staff member
@Tell I was searching, then scanning the Briskoda thread and saw pcbbc mentioned:

”it’s just a matter of licencing with INRIX and including the tables and necessary configuration with a map update”. MHI2 just needs the channel changing (15 -> 14). So it seems to be a data/format issue for >V12 maps rather than licensing. Also, “some TomTom products include their location tables”. Is mentioned and also Volvo.

This was back in May. There are another 20 pages. Not sure what happened in between. Other than the V12 hack which you mention on the present page of the aforementioned thread. I’d like to have V18. Did someone search/find a marque using tomtom and inrix (that could be merged with vag tomtom maps)? Seems likely data is a standard format. Have they given up on Briskoda? seems slow now.
Afraid not, MIB2 High is easy on TMC you just change the TMC group to 14 from 15, works on mib1 standard and high. Mib2 standard no. They changed the map provider from Here Maps to Tom Tom. Here Maps had the bells and whistles on it for flexibility across the world, hence the 15 to 14 solution, they are TMC provider groups.

The maps on the mib2 standard after 12 (12 was the last Here Maps one) were produced by Tom Tom and don't have that flexibility. You have to make the decision with the mib2 standard whether you want the latest maps without TMC or 3 year old maps with TMC. You can run with two cards and pop in the one you want that day :). I settled on old maps with TMC. It does work.

In the resource, I put the two links to the TMC solution for mib2 high and mib2 standard. They index back into the relative posts.

Mib2 standard you can get it working without coding using that link. Mib2 high requires coding to change the TMC group to 14 you can use the mib2 high tool box to do the coding bit but suspect if you use the toolbox you'd be up to coding it.

You can work on the basis VAG won't be fixing the cars to work with Inrix but you can fix it yourself.

Reactions: redone

redone

Nov 28, 2023
Was on a big update push today and lost scope. Plan was MST2 and carplay rather than MHI2 for lovely 3D maps. Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
Mib 2 high has a faster processor in it. Mib2 standard does the job but is more error prone. Mib2 high's successor is the Mib3. All Mib3's are "high's". You had to pay another £800 or so for the mib2 high at the time over the mib2 standard. Retrofitter's like to rubbish the high units since they can pick up more mib2 standards in scrapyards and sell on ;). You have to watch big updates....

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Tell
Many thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure I have the MIB 2 standard (6po0 definately rings a bell
I found a website (not sure if I can post links?) called MIB helper and it seems to say the latest maps are 24(year) 852755 and 338625
They unpack exactly like my old ones , but I havent had the chance to try them yet.

In your above posts you refer to TMC, do you mind explaining what that is?

Finally is there a way to get waze type alerts for traffic or roadworks on this system at all?

Many many thanks

Tell

Staff member
TMC your traffic management reports. Road blocks etc. The previous provider pulled out of the business in the UK. You can put it on the alternative service but for the mib2 standard you have to go back to the V12 maps. Link provided on how to do that above. That was the conversation.

The latest standard maps are 2110. Links here to the post.

Card size meant that as the maps got bigger they get zoned. You pick your zone. Post following shows zones. You can buy a 32gb Vag navigation card off eBay if you have a need to cross zones driving. It's the CID on the Vag cards that is recognised across brands, so any Vag mib2 navigation card will work in the unit.

You must do the overall.nds work around else they won't work. There is a link I posted to the fix file which fixes it if you loose your overall.nds.... it happens a lot 🤣. People follow the VW and Skoda instructions where there they have life time mapcare. Seat never provided that but the work around fixes that. The board called it the "workaround". That workaround is on all of the Seat European boards now.

The overall.nds file the unit first picks up when the card is installed is the map release the unit is paired with. Shifting the overall.nds file between map releases kick starts a newer map being paired. Without that it won't work on a map upgrade. That's what the clever guy in 2017 worked out. The board was in awe of. Used a technique of tracking how the files were called, a bin walker.

The resource covers everything we know and worked out about mib2 navigation

See the section on workaround. The workaround after it's used does throw up a coding error if a scan is performed which normal code clearing won't touch. You can ignore it. It's a flag to says there is more than one navigation FeC created (feature enablement code). The workaround of kick starting a map update generates the flag. If you don't do a VCDS type of scan you wouldn't know. Nobody is bothered about that flag. It gets talked about on boards that use the method. It became apparent that the workariund set this flag a few months later in 2017. Everybody has lived with it since.

I can't say the mib helper link works for all. Could lead you up a path and those Mr Fix YouTube videos could lead you biting off more than you can chew. They dont have discussion / fixing threads on them. For Seat you have to do the workaround unless the firmware is modded or the standard navigation FeCs get altered to life long ones (position of Skoda and VW mib2 standard).

The maps files are interchangeable between brands (they are byte identical) but Seats don't come with life time updates unlike Skoda and VW. Hence the workaround for mib2 standard or for the high unit, the FeC edit. Good company Audi and Seat don't give life time mapcare in how they were shipped.

The file 2110 link above I've given and how to do it to get the June release for mib2 standarg. November release hasn't appeared yet. Guys use techniques to search servers for the release ahead of tethering to a web page... nothing found yet. If you want TMC then how to do it is in the resource with links for the standard and high.

Last edited:

Newt182

Jan 2, 2024
UK TMC Trafficmaster RDS Service Ceased in April 2023 - MIB2 Standard Only Fix (MIB2STD 2020 Maps with TMC Update for Amundsen/Discover Media/Technisat)

For mib2 standard there is a fix worked out by two posters on the Briskoda board (Bigade1 and PCBBC) based on what Australian's did to get their TMC working with VAG cars. This works across Mib2 standard units excluding Delphi. Delphi units were only fitted to VW and Audi, not Seat or Skoda.

To determine whether it's a Technisat (the one it works with) if it starts with MST2 and ends with T, MST2_EU_??_XX_XXXXT its a Technisat and the solution works. When TomTom took over the cartography above V12, the support for Inrix TMC which is the one to use after Trafficmaster was removed.

The solution for the Mib2 standard breaks into two.

a. If you have VCDS / Obdeleven Pro coding device and want TMC to work across as many European providers as possible plus the UK Inrix service then change the TMC fee based code to 1023 via coding and use the module in the zip files: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update.7z

b. If you don't have VCDS / Obdeleven Pro coding device and want TMC to work in the UK with Inrix service but aren't so bothered about all Europe TMC providers use the module: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z This option assumes the current TMC fee based setting is set to 15. Default.

In both instances, you need the V12 map:

Unmodifed V12 map download: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

Nb. the map file is held on Mega due to the way Mega works if you don't pay for higher speed you just let it run over 24 hours or so, use Chrome for this. It restarts the download from where it got to.

Instructions:

1. Download both 7z files as applicable.

2. Unzip unmodified V12 maps to SD card. Instead of downloading, you can use your existing copy of V12 maps if you already have a copy.

3. Unzip the TMC Update to the same SD card, replacing any duplicate files.

4. This step is optional if on a. Configure FEE BASED TRAFFIC INFO is set to 1023 using VCDS/OBD11. If b. ignore the step.

Example in Obdeleven, 5f unit, Adaptations, search under TMC:
View attachment 37429

Change to 1023, save and reboot the unit:
View attachment 37430

You need the two zip files covered in the steps above. Maps for the year circa release 2020 plus the adapted modules that you overwrite in the area which make it work (step 3 above).

On a Seat you must do the workaround process on the SD card after step 3 above if your original maps were prior to release v12:

The workaround for that is the standard one:

Steps:
  1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

Always back up the SD card before doing anything.

Example results with it working:
View attachment 37424

View attachment 37425

Lastly, if you want the best of both worlds but can't decide you can put the mod on one card and keep the original. Swap Vag card as you please. They must be Vag cards with CID unless the unit is modded... that mib2 standard toolbox that there is little Seat experience in it's use.
Will this work on later versions or only on v12?

Tell

Staff member
Will this work on later versions or only on v12?
Only v12 after that the standard map provider changed to Tom Tom previously it was Here Maps which had the bells and whistles in to work with different TMC provider groups. If you want TMC in the UK on the standard mib2 then you have to have old maps and the mod. The adaption was first developed by Australians that found they could get their VAG cars working on their local TMC provider. They had already found they had to go back to old maps. Those triggers for the TMC icon's for Inrix aren't built into the Vag Tom Tom standard maps. That's why. Too much effort, I'm told to mod those in.

You can buy another VAG card and keep two in the car one for the latest maps and the other for TMC and use the one that takes your fancy on the day. I've concluded its probably better to have old maps with TMC than new maps without TMC, so left the V12 in. Useful to see road works and delays.

Reactions: Newt182

Newt182

Jan 2, 2024
Thank you for the reply. My next step is to get Android Auto working then. Just waiting for the OBDeleven reader to be delivered today :)

Reactions: pedronery
Feb 13, 2024
Interesting one for mib1. Presumably the SD card based one.
I managed to update our MIB1 Standard from 2014 maps to 2023 :cool: I found some info on a German forum. Here's what I did:

You might need to update your MIB1 to the latest firmware for it to work, I did it a couple of years ago. mib1_5F_480.rar [1.95 GB] (Spanish forum? I still have a Mega URL).

Backup original map SD to PC. [SEAT Navigation AT Europe (V4) 5F0.919.866.F] [4.46GB used of 7.48 GB]

Delete files on SD, probably best not to format it.

Download new map files, unzip on computer. P106_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT (8V0060866S).7z [6.54 GB, 7.53GB EXPANDED ON PC] (mibsolution.one > Maps > MSTD)

Remove some files so it fits your SD, more than you expect due to cluster size? (Turkey, Ukraine etc). I ran out whilst copying, but I freed up 400 MB (just in case being completely full breaks the Sat Nav).

Change the following in the new DBInfo.txt (I didn't test if you could skip this step):

PartNumber1="V03959803RQ"
PartNumber="V03959803RQ"

TO

PartNumber1="V03959803RN"
PartNumber="V03959803RN"

Copy all to original SD.
old software (Large).jpg
new software (Large).jpg
old map (Large).jpg
new map (Large).jpg
map vidcap.jpg

Technical explanation here:

Tell

Staff member
On the card size @Daz3d you could use one of the 16GB SD ebay VAG map cards with a reliable score if you didn't want to hack it down to size. People did find all VAG cards were interchangeable between mib1 and mib2 across brands. The CID was recognized as been valid on either unit.

Have you tried updating the TMC from 15 to 14. Skoda people seemed to find it worked but I wasn't totally sure they were mib1 standard users or mib1 high. Suspect it may work. Think the movement to TomTom maps was for mib2 standard whilst mib1 remained on HereMaps so that update is probably a HereMaps one. The Mib2 standard you have to downgrade and do the file tinkering, whilst Mib2 high is just the VCDS / Obdeleven simple coding with a reboot.

You'd follow this one as if mib2 high

Let us know.

As for the source of that map I was intrigued when it was being put about for retrofitter sale. Suspect it's from Audi servers that have updated maps still being produced, this is where we are hoping the mib2 high ones will go on beyond the 5 year cut off. This year I used the Audi update that came out early via that Russian site. They are streamed in mib1 high only, mib2 high only and both which is the normal Seat / Skoda / VW download. Normally you don't get to see these files since they are behind a VIN registration.

On the parts number edit if like mib2 standard that's just a display thing you didn't need to edit it for mib2 standard. Probably the same people were editing those part numbers when they just needed to move that overall.nds file but of course in mib1 standard it may look at them, why people were editing them but didn't need to in the mib2 standard. Reading the link you gave yes you do need to edit the part code for mib1 as you did !. (evidently part of the history of why people needlessly did it on mib2).

Looks like you do need that firmware update as well which you did. This might be the root reason why all those years back some people could do the update and others couldn't on mib1. We never got down to the bottom of that one. They were spending their money on buying the maps and it never worked. 50% got into work, 50% didn't. This right back in the early days of the thread.

Good find (y).

Last edited:
Reactions: Daz3d

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
On the card size you could use one of the 16GB SD ebay VAG map cards with a reliable score if you didn't want to hack it down to size. People did find all VAG cards were interchangeable between mib1 and mib2 across brands. The CID was recognized as been valid on either unit.
How to figure out the size of the cards that are for sale? (And that they have a suitable CID?)

I'd be happy (happier!) not to have to hack down to size of my MIB1.

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists