Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
I'll give that a go, thanks 😊 Perhaps it's because it doesn't like the V18 card I bought, and didn't like me deleting files to make it fit on my 8GB?
I am afraid I do not know the answer for these. Others have said they deleted files without problem and the the VW cards are OK.

Tell

Staff member
Mib2 is sensitive to the cluster size. The 16gb cards have 4096. The issue has come up before. It may that, that is why we say don't reformat them. Windows 10/11 at one point changed it and that what renders some of the cards useless. They run QNX on them so they aren't like a full sledged PC. Other people play with this number to get more on, then it stops reading it. Can't be too high or too low. 4096 is the recommended size for the 16GB size and I'm sure that's the same when a mib1 unit reads a mib2 card. They came with that cluster size.

Fat 32, 4096 is in the middle of this below for the 16GB card

'
The formatting process depends on your operating system. With a Windows operating system, you need to access the SD card drive and right-click on “Format”.

The manufacturer will provide information for other operating systems. We recommend that you have a cluster of 4,096 bytes for formatting

'
It might be that. What happened on mib2 when the format wasn't correct they didn't read all the card so the information screen remained incomplete. That one is on the thread. The units sort of emulate an operating system but not very well.

We know mib2 VAG cards work on mib1 but if you vary that cluster size away from the 4096 of the 16gb card you might get the effect of it not addressing the SD card correctly. Get the cluster size too wrong and that's where it renders the cards useless, reported on Seat and Skoda boards - they get corrupted. Hence best to just do a delete of the contents and steer clear of format.

CASUAL READERS DO NOT FOLLOW THE PDF INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE FOR SEAT MIB2 on delete else you will loose the overall.nds workaround file. You need the "workaround" method. See the resource or back posts.

PS the 32gb factory ones have a different size on them. I just popped mine in rather than go out to the car to look at the 16gb ones. 32gb Skoda ones shows 32 kilobytes.

Probably a lot to get right to get the 2023 maps on the card.... getting cluster size right if you change it via a format will be one. Pass on what the original 8gb mib1 is, but 4096 on a 16gb card, 32 kilobytes on a 32gb. Best not to reformat an original Vag card just do a delete and wait for it to do it's work. 😉

Last edited:

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Hi all, thanks for your replies and thanks @Tell for such a detailed reply too!

I was concerned the issue was because I formatted the cards, so I ended up buying a MIB2 V6 card from eBay: Link. Also, as DaveS suggested, I bought a new SD card reader to I could perform the whole operation on an entirely different PC.

I didn't format it this time of course, and followed exactly what Daz3d describes, and still I'm stuck on "checking navigation data". I also tried the same card on my father's 2015 Leon with MIB1, and it does the exact same thing. So either it doesn't work for all cars or I'm still doing something wrong.

Interestingly, if I try my fathers original MIB1 card in my car it says the navigation data is not valid, why is that? It works fine in his car.

Does it definitely work with all MIB2 cards or is there some specific card I need to buy?

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022

I was concerned the issue was because I formatted the cards, so I ended up buying a MIB2 V6 card from eBay: Link. Also, as DaveS suggested, I bought a new SD card reader to I could perform the whole operation on an entirely different PC.

I didn't format it this time of course, and followed exactly what Daz3d describes, and still I'm stuck on "checking navigation data". I also tried the same card on my father's 2015 Leon with MIB1, and it does the exact same thing. So either it doesn't work for all cars or I'm still doing something wrong.

Interestingly, if I try my fathers original MIB1 card in my car it says the navigation data is not valid, why is that? It works fine in his car.

Does it definitely work with all MIB2 cards or is there some specific card I need to buy?
This is the V3 card I purchased which does not look much different from what you have. I am at a loss to know what to suggest now. Only thin I can think of is to delete all the files on the SD card and copy again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185842403973

Reactions: Tell

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Out of interest; when you delete the files do you delete the folders too, or just the files inside?

Tell

Staff member

Did you update the mib1 firmware thou as the other two posters to 480. It's going to be the firmware needs to be up-to-date and those tricks on taking forwards those identities.

DaveS bought a very old mib2 card.... as he just said.... I'm in an edit.

Part number edit and latest firmware 480. Was probably the firmware why in the past some people could change their mib1 maps and others couldn't.

If you are on 480 already and done the identical part number edit then may be check the part number of your old card just in case it matches across.

I'm thinking firmware or messed up delete :oops: On you last question. You removed every thing from the card and copy a new image with the part number edit on it to get the same as above. I have seen people's handy work where they park other stuff on these map cards in the wrong place and it doesn't work.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
On 480 firmware already, it's the first thing I did. :(

Sadly I stupidly deleted everything on my original card without backing it up, so I can't check the part number :cry: Although I could check my dad's.

Sounds like I'm doing everything exactly the same as you guys then. Anyone fancy sending me a spare card with the update that you know works on your MIB1's, I can pay 😝

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
On 480 firmware already, it's the first thing I did. :(

Sadly I stupidly deleted everything on my original card without backing it up, so I can't check the part number :cry: Although I could check my dad's.

Sounds like I'm doing everything exactly the same as you guys then. Anyone fancy sending me a spare card with the update that you know works on your MIB1's, I can pay 😝
I will see next week when I am home. One other thought, try experimenting with the write protect switch on the card.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
I will see next week when I am home. One other thought, try experimenting with the write protect switch on the card.
That's a good point, are you supposed to have it unlocked when writing files, and locked when inserting into the car? I'll try a few combinations

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
It would have to be unlocked to write files. I think I may have locked it before inserting in the car. I will need to check next week.

Tell

Staff member
Ideally lock before putting it in. Mib2 high writes a marker file not sure about mib1. Normally unlock to write unless using an adaptor that doesn't see the lock, to put it in.

Id sort of thought the pairing was done by the part number. The 5f you see won't be part number 1 which is probably Audi or VW etc. So it might be paired by what was in the car on whatever the map was. The success may be they both came off that part number.

This bit:

Change the following in the new DBInfo.txt (I didn't test if you could skip this step):

PartNumber1="V03959803RQ"
PartNumber="V03959803RQ"

TO

PartNumber1="V03959803RN"
PartNumber="V03959803RN"

It could be the two successful ones were on

PartNumber="V03959803RN"

Already so it worked by making it that whilst yours need to be whatever yours were. You have to look in the appropriate map file of the version you were on. It's likely it could be this since the history of the map updates which went on to mib2 was hacking part numbers. You don't for mib2, but you may very well need to for mib1. Mib2 uses the overall.nds file to tether the current map release to the unit, why that is moved, mib1 may read the original part number and checks for that to make sure you aren't updating it without mapcare - may be.

The question is whether the two successful ones here came from the same original release which happened to be that part number. The 5f is as I said Seats version of that, probably part number 4, you have to look in the file. If the 5f of the successfully ones prior to the update were the same then they were indeed on the same original file. Any before and after photos.

Always a good idea to keep a copy of map images before you delete them !. You may need it. Where mib2 standard people go wrong.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Ideally lock before putting it in. Mib2 high writes a marker file not sure about mib1. Normally unlock to write unless using an adaptor that doesn't see the lock, to put it in.

Id sort of thought the pairing was done by the part number. The 5f you see won't be part number 1 which is probably Audi or VW etc. So it might be paired by what was in the car on whatever the map was. The success may be they both came off that part number.

This bit:

Change the following in the new DBInfo.txt (I didn't test if you could skip this step):

PartNumber1="V03959803RQ"
PartNumber="V03959803RQ"

TO

PartNumber="V03959803RN"

It could be the two successful ones were on

PartNumber="V03959803RN"

Already so it worked by making it that whilst yours need to be whatever yours were. You have to look in the appropriate map file of the version you were on. It's likely it could be this since the history of the map updates which went on to mib2 was hacking part numbers. You don't for mib2, but you may very well need to for mib1. Mib2 uses the overall.nds file to tether the current map release to the unit, why that is moved, mib1 may read the original part number and checks for that to make sure you aren't updating it without mapcare - may be.

The question is whether the two successful ones here came from the same original release which happened to be that part number. The 5f is as I said Seats version of that, probably part number 4, you have to look in the file. If the 5f of the successfully ones prior to the update were the same then they were indeed on the same original file. Any before and after photos.

Always a good idea to keep a copy of map images before you delete them !. You may need it. Where mib2 standard people go wrong.
Thanks @Tell, some good ideas there! Just got my dad to check and his MIB1 V5 card has this in the DBInfo.txt:

PartNumber1="8V0919866C "
PartNumber2="5G0919866Q "
PartNumber3="5E0051236G "
PartNumber4="5F0919866K "
PartNumber= "8V0919866C "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0045"

So I can see the 5F number is "5F0919866K ", what does this mean though, can I use that PartNumber in the new DBInfo.txt?

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
For information, this is the content of my original DBInfo file:

PartNumber1="8V0060866K "
PartNumber2="5G0919866AK"
PartNumber3="5E0051236G "
PartNumber4="5F0060884BS"
PartNumber="8V0060866K "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0081"
SystemName=" ECE 2019/20 "

I do not have the new one with me, but I know for sure it had these lines as posted above:

PartNumber="V03959803RN"

I think it would be this:

PartNumber="V03959803RN"
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0106"
SystemName=" ECE 2023 "

And for completeness, the name of the downloaded file is:

P106_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT (8V0060866S)

7,029,369,122 bytes shown in Windows Properties dialogue

And from 7zip:

Size: 8 082 175 264
Packed Size: 7 029 322 987
Folders: 1 517
Files: 6 891
CRC: 75EE511D
------------------------:
Path: C:\Users\daves\Desktop\P106_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT (8V0060866S).7z
Type: 7z
Physical Size: 7 029 369 122
Headers Size: 46 135
Method: LZMA2:26
Solid: +
Blocks: 1

redone

Nov 28, 2023
A few thoughts. Apologies if this is old ground.

It seems overall.nds can be restored from an sd card the same as your original, if you can find a copy.
Are you unmounting the sd cards before ejecting them? (Remove in head unit software setting)
Have you tried the other sd slot? (Slot reader may be bad)
Are you sure you’re waiting long enough for it to load?
You have your dad’s mib1 card which does not work so seems logical that some other random card would not work either. Unless it happens to match your original, by chance. Though perhaps try that in your other sd slot if not tried already.

At this stage I would be looking to return to last known good state. Unless what you’re looking at works for you then perhaps best thing would be look to get a copy of your original sd card maps data et al. Matching the part coding. Perhaps someone on here may have the same they can send you If you post what you have. My old mib1 card is 5F0.919.866.H.

If provided by the source then generating an md5 checksum can validate the integrity of the downloaded data. The outputted string should match.

Tell

Staff member
There is no overall.nds in mib1. Mib2 update works 100% of time. That's covered in the resource:

Meanwhile the difficulties with how some people manage to update mib1 and others not was never resolved in the thread. A number of people remained out of pocket after buying mib1 sd cards online. People gave up and moved on.

Mib1 maps releases were discontinued two years ago as a free resource for VW and Skoda. This release for 2023 turned up sourced from Audi with descriptions as said above how to get it going on Seat. Success by two people here.

With all of this some people make mistakes in presentation / don't follow the instructions. East Yorkshire Retrofit has offered to do these updates for a fee, so that's another option for those people that really want it and can't do it themselves. That appeared early in the thread before DIY instructions appeared.

I had wondered where these maps came from. Audi keeps some of the maps going but they aren't distributed the same way as Seat, VW and Skoda. The maps are applicable across the brands except Seat and Audi which enforce mapcare. Thus if you don't know a work around you are stuck.

- Mib3 no mapcare now across all brands, it's free for offline update, twice a year.

- Seat Mib2 standard mapcare until 2019, 4 years with it on. Some 2019 late models off but the workaround fixes all. Map updates after June 2023 seem to have ceased.

- Seat Mib2 high the FeCs need adjusting. Updates still coming out.

- Seat Mib1 standard which this one is, the jury has always been out on how some can do it others can't. We look to people with this unit.

Reactions: redone

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I've an even older MIB1 card (physical label V4 and 5F0.919.866.F)
DbInfo.txt
PartNumber1="8V0919866B "
PartNumber2="5G0919866F "
PartNumber3="5E0051236C "
PartNumber4="5F0919866F "
PartNumber="8V0919866B "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0036"
SystemName=" ECE 2014 "

I'd update it if I can figure the right (MIB2?) card to buy but so far it sounds a bit chancy.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
I've an even older MIB1 card (physical label V4 and 5F0.919.866.F)
DbInfo.txt
PartNumber1="8V0919866B "
PartNumber2="5G0919866F "
PartNumber3="5E0051236C "
PartNumber4="5F0919866F "
PartNumber="8V0919866B "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0036"
SystemName=" ECE 2014 "

I'd update it if I can figure the right (MIB2?) card to buy but so far it sounds a bit chancy.
That is the exact card I have! (or I should say 'had', before I wiped it 🤦‍♂️)

If you manage to get the update working please let me know what you did haha.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
If you backup before you start you always have the back up.... so nothing can go wrong. You have to venture one of those old Mib2 cards that are cheap. Take a backup of what you have. Put that on the mib2 card and test. Then you know the card is being recognised. It will be. Then follow Daz3d above and DaveS following in the posts

Best you can do and if it all goes wrong you have the backup. Like your original card since you'd been experimenting on your cheap mib2 ebay card. £12 in DaveS' case and has Inrix as well with minor VCDS / Obdeleven coding. Traffic group 14 on these rather than 15 as is on Mib1.

redone

Nov 28, 2023
That is the exact card I have! (or I should say 'had', before I wiped it 🤦‍♂️)

If you manage to get the update working please let me know what you did haha.
Then what you want is to ask @cupra14 very nicely to make a copy/archive and provide to you by whatever method. then you should be back to the position he is in now, i.e. backup.

Reactions: Guyelle