Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
How to figure out the size of the cards that are for sale? (And that they have a suitable CID?)

I'd be happy (happier!) not to have to hack down to size of my MIB1.
The mib2 one will be 16gb unless they sell them as 32gb.

Any of those you rate with a good customer satisfaction score and say mib2. You can use Skoda or VW as well. On the thread we did in the past verify that the CID was recognised by mib1 so you could put mib1 map files on a mib2 card and it worked but at that stage the wrinkle of upgrading mib1 wasn't known. I suspect the map file linked to has been adjusted to work across units or they didn't bother to enforce mapcare, not that it's specific to the firmware. You can pick up conversations on German forums about it.

If you fancied the 32gb card again any of these with a good customer rating that say mib2 32gb.

These would also be good for mib2 standard where of recent all of Europe doesn't fit on the card.

I've used a Skoda card off eBay and one with a writeable CID card where you clone your existing but a long winded process to do that. Costs more than just buying a Vag card. The CID is just a signature that the unit recognises as a Vag card.

Reactions: cupra14

Tell

Staff member
I have recently fitted this one in my 2018 Cupra 300
No coding needed - works perfectly.
Which one was that on the list ?. Assume the current top.

Screenshot_20240215-202928.png

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for clearing that up to make it easy. German boards have been having a good old moan about mib2 cards but we've never really had that although best to delete what on them than embark on a reformat treating them like floppy disks.

What you'd do @cupra14 copy the contents off a bought mib2 SD card just in case you might want whats on it. Then delete what's on it. Then copy your current mib1 card onto it and check it recognised in the car. Click the write tab to give write protection when you put it in. Seem important with mib1.

Having checked it's reading your current map then you can do the stuff posted up by @Daz3d . I'd still like to know whether the traffic code group 14 rather than 15 brings in Inrix. That would be last phase.

Best of luck.

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
I managed to update our MIB1 Standard from 2014 maps to 2023 :cool: I found some info on a German forum. Here's what I did:

You might need to update your MIB1 to the latest firmware for it to work, I did it a couple of years ago. mib1_5F_480.rar [1.95 GB] (Spanish forum? I still have a Mega URL).

Backup original map SD to PC. [SEAT Navigation AT Europe (V4) 5F0.919.866.F] [4.46GB used of 7.48 GB]

Delete files on SD, probably best not to format it.

Download new map files, unzip on computer. P106_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT (8V0060866S).7z [6.54 GB, 7.53GB EXPANDED ON PC] (mibsolution.one > Maps > MSTD)

Remove some files so it fits your SD, more than you expect due to cluster size? (Turkey, Ukraine etc). I ran out whilst copying, but I freed up 400 MB (just in case being completely full breaks the Sat Nav).

Change the following in the new DBInfo.txt (I didn't test if you could skip this step):

PartNumber1="V03959803RQ"
PartNumber="V03959803RQ"

TO

PartNumber1="V03959803RN"
PartNumber="V03959803RN"

Copy all to original SD.

Technical explanation here:
Thank you for posting this. It prompted me to have a go and eventually succeed following some problems. First of all I decided to do the software update as my system was also on 425. I was not sure where to find the update file, so I eventually pad £20 for it from 'East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions Ltd'. The download they provided was copied straight onto an old SD card and the upgrade went without problem. It takes at least half an hour but less than an hour. One additional thing they provide is instructions for OBDeleven which allows you to clear a fault that will show because of a software mismatch. It involves reading a string, entering it in a web site they gave and then programming the result back into the system. This is optional and apparently does not stop the upgrade working. So far I have not noticed any changes other than having to increase the screen brightness (it was on darkest before).

For the map update, I decided to buy a MIB2 V3 card from Ebay for £12 including postage. By the time it arrived I had downloaded the map update from mibsolution.one. I erased the files on the 'new' 16GB card then made my mistake. I used 7ZIP to expand the archive directly onto the SD card (don't do this!). Next I edited the DBInfo.txt file on the SD card to the PartNumber entries above and saved it back to the card. The result was that the system showed the message 'Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data'. No amount of rebooting helped. With more messing about with the DBInfo.txt file I ended up with the 'Checking navigation data...' message stuck on screen. What sorted it was when I created a temporary folder on my PC, expanded the files into that with 7ZIP, edited the DBInfo.txt file in that folder to the entries above and then copied the whole lot onto the SD card. Then the system accepted it. The 16Gb card of course takes the full map set with no need to delete anything.

To answer another question from @Tell, the RDS TMC live traffic is still working with the new map and traffic code group 14 :)

DSC_0370a.JPG

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Thank you for posting this. It prompted me to have a go and eventually succeed following some problems. First of all I decided to do the software update as my system was also on 425. I was not sure where to find the update file, so I eventually pad £20 for it from 'East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions Ltd'. The download they provided was copied straight onto an old SD card and the upgrade went without problem. It takes at least half an hour but less than an hour. One additional thing they provide is instructions for OBDeleven which allows you to clear a fault that will show because of a software mismatch. It involves reading a string, entering it in a web site they gave and then programming the result back into the system. This is optional and apparently does not stop the upgrade working. So far I have not noticed any changes other than having to increase the screen brightness (it was on darkest before).

For the map update, I decided to buy a MIB2 V3 card from Ebay for £12 including postage. By the time it arrived I had downloaded the map update from mibsolution.one. I erased the files on the 'new' 16GB card then made my mistake. I used 7ZIP to expand the archive directly onto the SD card (don't do this!). Next I edited the DBInfo.txt file on the SD card to the PartNumber entries above and saved it back to the card. The result was that the system showed the message 'Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data'. No amount of rebooting helped. With more messing about with the DBInfo.txt file I ended up with the 'Checking navigation data...' message stuck on screen. What sorted it was when I created a temporary folder on my PC, expanded the files into that with 7ZIP, edited the DBInfo.txt file in that folder to the entries above and then copied the whole lot onto the SD card. Then the system accepted it. The 16Gb card of course takes the full map set with no need to delete anything.

To answer another question from @Tell, the RDS TMC live traffic is still working with the new map and traffic code group 14 :)

View attachment 40774
Good news then on the map and on TMC ✔. Yes I thought that's what the Skoda Mib1 people were reporting who tried the simple TMC mod they were on the Amundsen units. Those date back to Australians with their Vag cars then getting them on local TMC. Those methods were eyeballed in getting Inrix on here in the UK to replace Traffic Master. Mib2 standard is different which is where they got that from then streamlined further to avoid mib2 standard tool kit (joint working by a Skoda guy and a programmer but using older Here Map mib2 standard maps before they went over to TomTom cartography and support files).

Mib2 high is like Mib1 on this just needs the TMC group code change of 15 to 14. Those newly found mib1 standard maps are Here Maps. Evidently they didn't get the bump in changing to TomTom. Now Vag has standardised back to Here Maps on Mib3.

On the unzip, yes I always unzip to HD else you get thrashing on the SD bus. A lot of data traffic. Faster to go to HD then just copy across with the edit.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
For those that can't wait till June 2024 for mib2 high maps, 2024-2025, a walk on the wild side is available. You do need the Seat life long map FeCs. See the resource about getting them.

20240223_154344.jpg

The file is the Audi version of the mib2 high which is slimmer than the combined mib1 / 2 file. I used this for version 350. No issues. Audi have always released the file in the combined file and split into mib2 and mib1. We use the mib2 high only one.

It would appear that due to mib3 connect services where monthly updates are generated from source cartography, applying this streamlining to mib2 high means rapid production from the normal freeze date six months before distribution, gives us the files early. My theory.

The files turned up for the EU and Americas only Tuesday / Wednesday of this week.

370 EU 2024-2025.
376 Americas Only 2024-2025.

The both files are available on

login guest, guest

The 370 file that I used came from this site using the mega link

I have not tested the mibsolution.one version for Europe... too slow to download.

If mega times out using a vpn change your IP address and hit refresh. I use Edge for this process.

There is also the 370 map on Google drive link that is said to work:

Drive

Choice of three links for 370. (Thank BooBoo124 on Briskoda for two of them, an Audi driver used the Google drive link, I used the Russian link - those two we know are fine and work). The Google drive one is the easier if access isn't being rationed, failing that mega with the vpn trick and mibsolution.one slower (that one I found problematic). I've checked checked the Russian link I used and the Google Drive link the contents are identical after I remove the two Russian files that don't have a bearing.

The one posted as 376 on Mibsolutions is Americas only and will not cover Australia and New Zealand from the content.

The link for that one is which downloaded better than indirectly via Mibsolutions:

https://mega.nz/file/SEhSCZTA#T8qGZbNC45wEFu0wf36clM3NVP84VDv_UjZ5dUWmur0

Back to the 370 file European file, I used the Russian website to these files. The Google drive one can be used as an alternative and you don't have to play with Mega and a VPN to get the file out.

The one I used, direct link to the file (no Russian or Chrome translation required):

Or the the one flagged up as Drive above.

(the Google drive one and mibsolution is the original with creation dates at the time circa November 2023 inline with freeze dates for the June 2024 release, Russian one had been unzipped and zipped back up with two promotional files)

Since the files are SLA1 signed it is impossible to edit the subdirectories, on this basis the files have not been messed or tampered about with from production, they wouldn't linstall if they had. They are as run off the map production line for Vag. We can assume they aren't beta. There is 0.2gb more in this file than 350. Checking geography, additional roads are present so it is an update.

You just need to get them unzipped and in the root directory on an SD card (or USB) as normal. Distribution may have them set down a level. Metafile in the root, mib1 and mib2 are subdirectories of the root. You do need both. Note the normal Mac instructions of CleanMyDrive. See resource tabbed under Overview. TMC Inrix works as per normal with the code change. Latest maps ✔.

The summer comes early.🌅🌻😎

Last edited:

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Great info as always @Tell .

Whats the score with MIB2 standard maps atm ?
Ive been a bit behind with updating lately.
Did they skip the winter 23 release ?

Tell

Staff member
@Slickric21 no it didn't happen for Mib2 standard in November 2023 across Vag. Nobody is saying anything. I can only think that the Vag contract with TomTom ran out. They did move from HereMaps too TomTom earlier so there could be a possibility they would dig out there old programs and produce one based on HereMaps. Mib3, Mib2 high and Mib1 use Here maps.

The Mib1 standard map for 2023 which unexpectedly appeared was produced for some Audi models up to 2016 which works across Vag Mib1 standard. It's conceivable that Audi might fill the gap for Mib2 standard by reverting back to Here Maps I quess. Wait and see on that.

Feb 24, 2024
HI evryone,i made mistake and i formated my leon navi card,is there any way to go back to V1? i cannot find old updates to download,if someone could help me i would be gratefull,i have seat leon 2020 with 6p0 navi

Tell

Staff member
Yes there is a method. Take it you don't really mean V1 cards they never came to Seat. I think Seat came in with V2. It all comes down to the celebrated overall.nds file whilst you move your original overall.nds file forward with map updates to fake mapcare using the "workaround" shown in:

You can also use old overall.nds pre your original map release, you use this if you delete your card completely by accident or get a car second hand with mib2 standard.

The fix all overall.nds file is attached to this post and workaround method:

The last Mib2 standard map release is on this link:

You slap the fix all overall.nds file into the workaround copying over the June 2024 release of overall.nds. In the unlikely event you really have a map release that dates to 2015 or so in your 2020 car then you can buy a completely new card which is said to prep the unit. That's what Deano said

He upgraded to a 32gb card and I had said use the workaround method on any new cards. You can just insert them. It must be a function of purchasing newer maps on a map card rather than doing the download. It hasn't been something that was done too often on the board. I didn't want to risk pairing the Skoda card I bought with the partners car in the experiment I did a few years ago with 32gb Vag cards, I did the workaround method. Previously we had been led to believe it was about £130 if the garage did it, free with the workaround.

There was also one release of the maps where the workaround doesn't work ~ 2019 reported. Here fumbling releases around that time finds the overall.nds file. That was the old method before we found the fix all (except that one release). If forced into that buy a new card.

Reactions: DaveS
Feb 24, 2024
Yes there is a method. Take it you don't really mean V1 cards they never came to Seat. I think Seat came in with V2. It all comes down to the celebrated overall.nds file whilst you move your original overall.nds file forward with map updates to fake mapcare using the "workaround" shown in:

You can also use old overall.nds pre your original map release, you use this if you delete your card completely by accident or get a car second hand with mib2 standard.

The fix all overall.nds file is attached to this post and workaround method:

The last Mib2 standard map release is on this link:

You slap the fix all overall.nds file into the workaround copying over the June 2024 release of overall.nds. In the unlikely event you really have a map release that dates to 2015 or so in your 2020 car then you can buy a completely new card which is said to prep the unit. That's what Deano said

He upgraded to a 32gb card and I had said use the workaround method on any new cards. You can just insert them. It must be a function of purchasing newer maps on a map card rather than doing the download. It hasn't been something that was done too often on the board. I didn't want to risk pairing the Skoda card I bought with the partners car in the experiment I did a few years ago with 32gb Vag cards, I did the workaround method. Previously we had been led to believe it was about £130 if the garage did it, free with the workaround.

There was also one release of the maps where the workaround doesn't work ~ 2019 reported. Here fumbling releases around that time finds the overall.nds file. That was the old method before we found the fix all (except that one release). If forced into that buy a new card.
Thank you very much,worked just fine for me :D

Reactions: Tell and DaveS

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks @Daz3d and @Tell for your useful updates on updating maps on MIB1, you guys are amazing!

However, I am having trouble after following the steps mentioned in post #2,757; I just get an endless "checking navigation data" or "starting navigation". I have tried my original 8GB SEAT SD card and a newer VW V18 16GB card I bought online, both give the same result. I am on firmware 0480 and amended the DBinfo.txt.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 😊

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
Thanks @Daz3d and @Tell for your useful updates on updating maps on MIB1, you guys are amazing!

However, I am having trouble after following the steps mentioned in post #2,757; I just get an endless "checking navigation data" or "starting navigation". I have tried my original 8GB SEAT SD card and a newer VW V18 16GB card I bought online, both give the same result. I am on firmware 0480 and amended the DBinfo.txt.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 😊
Did you see my post #2767 - I had the same issue.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
Did you see my post #2767 - I had the same issue.
Yes, I didn't copy the .7z file to the SD and extract it, I instead extracted then copied the files as you described.

The only thing I can think of is both cards have been formatted, does anyone know if that would cause it? They're formatted to FAT32 which should be correct.

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
Yes, I didn't copy the .7z file to the SD and extract it, I instead extracted then copied the files as you described.

The only thing I can think of is both cards have been formatted, does anyone know if that would cause it? They're formatted to FAT32 which should be correct.
I only erased the original files as I had seen that formatting could be an problem. Not sure about that though. I suspect that the error would be more along the lines of not finding valid data if the formatting was incorrect. I used Win10x64 FWIW. Do you have another device you could use to copy the files? maybe put the card in a camera and access it as a USB drive. Or another PC.

Guyelle

Apr 11, 2017
I only erased the original files as I had seen that formatting could be an problem. Not sure about that though. I suspect that the error would be more along the lines of not finding valid data if the formatting was incorrect. I used Win10x64 FWIW. Do you have another device you could use to copy the files? maybe put the card in a camera and access it as a USB drive. Or another PC.
I'll give that a go, thanks 😊 Perhaps it's because it doesn't like the V18 card I bought, and didn't like me deleting files to make it fit on my 8GB?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.