what have you done to your car today ?

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
It looks totally awesome m8 😎 You have done a sublime job & I know, along with its hearty guts, this beast is gonna rule the track. I am envious of your skills & dedication, it's a real stunner.
P.s wanna race alongside my black? Haha, you'll lap me before I get off the starting grid 🤣

Well done to you & your son 👍

Reactions: Manic172

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I've obviously missed something along the way but what's the purpose of the rear bench cut out?...Custom fuel cell?

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
60 litre fuel cell. I put it there 2 reasons. First is its protected by the cage and also weight distribution. Being pretty central, as the fuel level goes down . The car becomes lighter . But it shouldn't drastically change the ballance of the car as the front or rear won't be changing much in weight.

Reactions: mty12345

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Just ordered a new engine cover for £40 and a new inlet manifold trim for £25, seems like a bargain seeing as used ones usually sell for more than that.

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Spares have arrived by wheel barrow...
17125096882431276213754937300872.jpg
any one need any bits. I only want the head and few nuts and bolts

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Changing the battery seems to have made a lot of difference - the smoke on startup seems to have gone, even when I've left the car a few days, so I'm guessing when it was struggling to turn over, fuel was still being injected into the engine and the smoke was probably to do with that.

Changed air filter today in less than five minutes - it's much easier without the rounded off and rusty screws...

6e3b6ac2b6d1529a4bd12420f60fbf4d.jpg

Booked in to get the clutch done on Thursday - no way I'm buying an engine hoist and a gearbox jack just to do that once. I know some will say you're not a proper car person until you've done a clutch on your driveway, but meh...

Probably going to have a remap once the clutch is in. I'm not chasing power, so don't want to go down the rolling road route - I just want a bit more pull - anyone got any experience with generic maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Don’t do generic -s**t for engine longevity. Go for custom map, better for all round torque, fuel economy and power.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Absolutely no issue with a generic map if you know it's decent map. You're actually safer with a generic than a dodgy custom map if the guy doesn't know what he'd doing.

But for some reason the generics like Revo and APR are more expensive now than a custom job. So the best is still using an expert to do a custom map - if you can find one, because plenty won't touch 1.8s and PDs any more because of age.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Trouble is that there's nowhere around here that I know of that's any good. Darkside is oop north and searching for anything within even 100 miles of Brighton brings up the usual suspects - the flashy websites with pictures of Porsches, BMWs and Audis that always turn out to be flash remaps from some national franchise.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Absolutely no issue with a generic map if you know it's decent map. You're actually safer with a generic than a dodgy custom map if the guy doesn't know what he'd doing.

But for some reason the generics like Revo and APR are more expensive now than a custom job. So the best is still using an expert to do a custom map - if you can find one, because plenty won't touch 1.8s and PDs any more because of age.

At no point did I mention dodgy customer maps or mappers

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Have had a generic map done by Awesome Gti over well over 10 years ago for 150 quid on deal yea lol its been great but as normal you got to watch the clutch

On another note got the insurance though other day £269 quid up from £231 first alternative its an ensure company and no chance of dropping and both sites you cant get a quote its like they don't want to know been with them years, so had to use go compare and confused, got a quote for £210 for same policy though Arriva, 2 dam hours to sort all that out there websites are garbage if you have an account you may as well get a new account,

Diffidently got something to do with them daft EV milk floats as them dead tech cars get written off over nothing so huge claims and pickup company's most refuse to lift them

Reactions: tracktoy