Cupra in this months evo

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
It was one of the cars in the road and track car 2007 test.
General feeling were, its quick in straight line (quicker than a Megane R26) but corners were a bit of an issue with turn in. Good chassis though. Looks were a bit MPVish and not a criticism as such, it was a bit dull apparently.
Good that they chose it though.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Cue 20 letters next month in EVO asking why they didn't put an S3 in the test, they rate it higher than the Cupra so a bit surpring it didn't make an appearance.

Having read the test the Cupra is criticised for not being focused enough for track or fast road driving.......TBH it's similar to it's predecessor (the LCR) that it's a hot hatch for all occassions i.e, doing 20+k miles a year, doing the weekly shop or taking 4 people and luggage away for the weekend.......and as a result it's not surprise it's not done as well as a Renault with trick suspension and zero practicalility.

Last edited:

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
Just driven the Renault this week-Very very good!! Fantastic seats/suspension/brakes/performance- a big step up from the LCR in those departments.Not sure about build quality in comparison though:think:
I need to drive a new Cupra now to form a proper comparison of the latest batch of hot hatches. I do like a stiffly sprung car, so I suppose if I like the Cupra more than the R26 but reckon it feels soft, I could always put a suspension kit on?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Just driven the Renault this week-Very very good!! Fantastic seats/suspension/brakes/performance- a big step up from the LCR in those departments.Not sure about build quality in comparison though:think:
I need to drive a new Cupra now to form a proper comparison of the latest batch of hot hatches. I do like a stiffly sprung car, so I suppose if I like the Cupra more than the R26 but reckon it feels soft, I could always put a suspension kit on?

Would you want to do 20k miles plus a year in the Renault? or trips away with say 4 people and some luggage in the Renault?

Personally I don;t think the Cupra and R26 are that comparable......horses for different courses IMO

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
personally I would do the mileage in the Renault yes. I love a sporty ride at all times, but I am not so sure of the ability of the R26 to swallow luggage and passengers, although rear leg room is very good. I am lucky that I dont have any kids so space/luggage space is not my major concern. I remember the LCR having a decent boot-but I would say that the R26 has a bigger boot than the Focus ST in comparison(bit off topic but comparative)
Like I said, I really need to drive the Cupra to feel the difference and if I like it better than the R26 then a bigger boot would be a bonus I suppose?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.