H3 led fogs

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Put driving with fogs is just not cool whether they are fogs, hids or halogen. It doesn't provide any more light with decent bulbs and just looks so max power.

I cant agree with this, having the fogs on lights up the road immediately in front of the car rather than a few feet in front so it helps if you live somewhere where rabbits may come darting out of hedges at the last minute.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
But you should be looking much further ahead than 2 feet in front of your car. At no point on any car I have owned has the fog lights added anything in driving (all sorts of roads) at night in anything other than the thickest of fog. I don't think I have used more fogs on tolly more than twice in the two and a bit years of ownership

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Your problem is that LEDS have a single polarity.

Invert the wires and it will work. May not be easy to pull out the terminals from the socket. If you are struggling just cut them wires and patch them again.

Some Leons have the plugs with inverted cables. But Leds wont work on all.

So you swop the wires and you will have them working. ;)

Warning :

Don´t expect to see **** with these... theyre just for posing... Even less light that the Normal LED in the headlights thanks to the fat lense ...

Mine :
img0269al4.jpg

Last edited:

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Yer MDS is right...these leds cannot simply be put in the other way round, as they are built into the H3 plate etc.

I also agree with MDS where he has said you cannot see anything with them...but i think they look awesome when driving with sidelights and fogs on...looks mean! lol

225 Cupra R

Jun 17, 2007
well I don't understand?!

these are the ones I HAD (now HID ;))

h3_1wled1.jpg

DSC09619.jpg

even when connect to the fog light unit, unless it was clipped into place then it would not work! almost as if the metal body of the LED bulb WAS the ground! (well thats what I assumed!)

so make sure your LED bulb is actually FITTED into place, rather than being connected up to quickly see if it works if you see what I mean?!

Hello Mate

Thats a very impressive picture of your cars headlamp and fogs. Where did you get them lamps from, what is it, is it a HID conversion, did you have to change the headlamp unit and if you did where did you get thoses BMW/AUDI look hedlamps, I have never seen them like that before, looks bloody cool, if anything.

225 Cupra R

Jun 17, 2007
i have the same led fog lights, and they work fine.

i never use them though, but at least they're white :)

where do you get these LED fogs, never heard of them before. I thought fogs were H3 bulbs, am I wrong. So what are the LED Fogs all about???:confused::confused::confused:

225 Cupra R

Jun 17, 2007
K04 Turbo

led bulbs in a H3 fitment.

i got mine from ebay. sure there's a link up there somewhere

Thanks for that.

another question, if you don't mind answering, I am struggling to find out what is the full name of the k04 turbo on the cupra R 225bhp, engine code BAM, I mean is it k04 - 023, what does 023 mean ??

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
He doesn't, he has HID fogs and LED sidelights, at least that's the impression I get after reading the whole thread.

LED's aren't bright enough (yet) to act as main illumination.

Fog lights are about beam pattern: low and wide, and straight ahead or slightly down. The idea is to prevent the backscatter from blinding you (and other road users). Keeping the light low does this as far as is possible. Wide is also important, to light up the edges of the road and keep you on the straight and narrow. In fog, even with the best fog lights, you can't go fast safely, it isn't possible to see far enough; the best fogs will give you less range than dipped beams and with less clarity. In thick fog you'll be crawling; seeing the edge of the road is very important in such situations :) Without fog lights you'd be going nowhere.

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/index.aspx

For this reason, the "blinding other road users" complaint cannot apply to proper foglights, the beam pattern doesn't allow it. It used to be popular among the wannabe rally driver types to fit auxiliary <i>Driving Lights</i>, which are main beam lights for better distance vision (and have to be wired in parallel with the main beams, going out when you dip). Modern headlamp design and bulb technology have made these redundant other than for retro-posing.

HID lamps's main advantage, for the manufacturer, is that they don't have a filament that can break or burn out, so never need replacing and the doa rate at the factory should be low. The light source, the gas discharge arc, is smaller than a filament and allows the headlamp designer more freedom to design small or odd-shaped headlights that still meet the legal requirements about glare and beam pattern. They also put out more illumination for less power consumed, allowing alternators to be downsized. The "near-daylight"aspect is pure marketing.

This makes converting filament-bulb headlights by replacing the bulb with a HID source problematic. The bright bit in the HID bulb is a different size and shape, so even if the replacement manages to put it in the same location as the filament, the reflector design isn't right and the beam pattern will be affected.

For foglights, the colour doesn't matter. It used to be thought that yellow was the best colour, but see this explanation (a bit technical).

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx4.htm

So, what's the reason that most people dislike the use of "fog lights" as extra sidelights? It isn't glare, because most of the time fogs don't glare anyway. I think it's simple irritation, which shouldn't be dismissed as trivial. Driving with extra lights on is looking cool, showing off, posing. Lots of people find posers to be irritating. Driving is stressful enough to cause road rage for some, without any extra reasons.

Showing off is a low-level irritation that some can ignore and others can't. Sometimes they secretly wish they were brave enough to pose themselves. Some do pose but don't like to see others doing it. Posers don't care how irritated others feel. Some like to annoy other drivers. Some are afraid that if they didn't show off, nobody would notice them at all.

I will now put on the Nomex overalls, retreat to the bunker and wait for the flames. But you all know it's true. :).

225 Cupra R

Jun 17, 2007
That is very much true, fogs are primarily a fashion accessory, used by many boy racers and posers. I agree with most of what you say. You shall no longer be shot at dawn.:D

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
A little puzzled here. James had a set of LED bulbs in his fog lights and now has a HID kit in there (im cool with this bit). Just wondering if it would be the same with white affect H3 bulbs on the fogs and if anyone has a pic of them fitted. Im going to change mine, but dont know if its worth buying the H3 LED ones or the white H3 bulbs (I have a set of HID's in the headlights and led side lights fitted so far). Dont really want to shell out for another set of HID's for the fogs.

PS I have just got the spots for the LCR bumper (didnt have any in there before and looks like there is a another piece that holds the units in the bumper aswell as the 2 bolts at the top. Is this right?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
two torx screws hold the fogs in place, but there is a leg that sticks out of them which you fit into a hole before screwing to the bumper.

i have seen blue h3 bulbs in a leon cupra (mk1) fogs and they looked less yellowy that all!

if you want a good colour match and are not bothered by the very poor performance then go for LED bulbs! but if you want performance and colour match then HID them as I have. Its only just over £40 from diane-shop on ebay which is very good value for money if you ask me, especially when you would be looking at about £15 - £20 for osram/philips GOOD quality bulbs!

225 Cupra R

Jun 17, 2007
LED bulbs do not focus as well as filament bulbs do due to the directional nature of an LED light source. Therefore you would not be able to see anything with them, especially when you put that LED into a light unit built to take a filament bulb!

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
ive just been speaking to seat and asking them for the plastic mountings that hold the LCR spots into the bumper (they attach to the horse shoe shaped piece of plactic on the bumper itself) I have the 2 bolts at the top, but this third piece they had no idea what i was talking about. So basically im looking for the part number for these or the official name of them so i can get them ordered. Just wondering if anyone is fitting bulbs or would be able to just pop the grill off for the part number. Any help would be a great as i feel like i am trying to explain how to build and atomic bomb to the parts department lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.