New SEAT world premier at paris motorshow

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Hmmmm. Not forgetting how much I loved th B7 RS4, this presents a great opportunity to get that platform for cut down money.

Any hints of engine options. Hopefully they won't take the usual VAG approach and launch with a load of ecomotive lemons. The brochure gives no hints as to whether they have any plans to make 'sporty variants', so hopefully this just won't end up with a range of half arsed taxi-esque lumps. It's nose isn't doing it any favours, but the back 1/4 looks more promising.

It's looks like it's been drawn up whilst an accountant has been in the room (eg. no innovation/imagination and total cost control obsession)

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I think the new Exeo looks superb, it's good that Seat are releasing a saloon again because the Mk3 Toledo was just a discrace.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
It's looks like it's been drawn up whilst an accountant has been in the room (eg. no innovation/imagination and total cost control obsession)

Looks like the accountant did the drawing to me, its not exactly inspiring seeing as they've used a B7 A4 which is a good looking car as a starting point and acheieved something which is not as good looking :rolleyes:

Donitsi

Nono... Walter was the best that has happened to Seat. But now the accountant ruined it all.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Not that I can't see where many are coming from pegging the Exeo as a renamed A4... Yet when you think about it VAG has always done this platform sharing thing better than anyone else.

On a positive note! When all things are considered the other B-segment corporate cousins Passat/Superb... Didn't get to use the A4's platform in their newest generations but only a enlarged Golf underpinnings. Can recall quite a few complaints on this front!!!

The problem this time is they're doing it using the platform of a replaced model . Besides rather than the "hat concept" they usually employ this is more of just a make-up touch-up affair! From what we've seen so far looks like they've given us a less than well received Ibiza esque front clip, with the interior coming out of the old A4 Cabrio, & the rear clip just doesn't seem to have any family genes... Oh the side mirrors now sprout from the lower half of the doors(iches). Think that sums it up someone will help me out if they've noticed some other changes.

When carefully considered whom the market is for such a car. They've probably come quite close to hitting the nail on the head. It's a salesman's runabout, high mileage lease!
They've confirmed this with the pathetic petrol engine line-up. The only modern engines will be the CR deisels...
Missing one very important ingredient "RESALE-VALUE"!!!

I mostly agree, I have been a VW Passat owner since 2000 and don't think much of the "blown up" Golf that the latest Passat is. This change in direction was forced on VW by their previous COE in a bid to save money (this newest Passat is a lot cheaper to build and might keep some Passat owners happy), hopefully the current COE has seen the error of their ways and will change back to old Audi platforms. My old B5 Passat is a good enough car - but only because it is mainly built up of old Audi designed parts and not because it is a VW! Before this VAG change of direction I was convinced that my next car would need to be a secondhand Audi - now maybe not, time will tell. Comparing this to my wife's Polo 9N, which is a potentially good or well finished car totally spoilt by its cheap Skoda platform roots - these little cars will all always be just that - dressed up Skoda crap. Much like the Leon inherited some reasonable qualities from its Golf platform, it always pays to buy a model that was derived from a "higher marque" than a "lower marque".

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
EXEO is surely a translation of TAXI in some language or other, that's all it desrves to be. SEAT deserve a kick in the nads for it. Absolutely no imagination whatsoever and not even the slightest attempt to disguise the donor car. Mercedes managed an excellent attempt at selling the old E-Class with the 300C, and the new Superb is also a fine rebody job.

That was easy though as the 300C is good old "no fashion sense" USA - Skoda on its own could have done that - or even Lada if it was not Russian!

[/QUOTE=iain1970;2096781]This car proves that SEAT are now the poor mans Skoda.[/QUOTE]

Not in my book, if that counts for anything, its still Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda - but maybe VAG should make that a bit clearer, Skoda to VAG is probably quite important as it could be (Fabia etc) the way to make all cars cheaply and just badge them as they "go out the door" - no one will ever notice, will they?!!? I think they do notice but only a little bit - just look at the sales of the sort of rebadged Skodas already on the road - Polo and Ibiza, then read the complaints about that platforms basic wallet crunching "incidents" - am I a small bit correct here?

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
That was easy though as the 300C is good old "no fashion sense" USA - Skoda on its own could have done that - or even Lada if it was not Russian!

[/QUOTE=iain1970;2096781]This car proves that SEAT are now the poor mans Skoda.

Not in my book, if that counts for anything, its still Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda - but maybe VAG should make that a bit clearer, Skoda to VAG is probably quite important as it could be (Fabia etc) the way to make all cars cheaply and just badge them as they "go out the door" - no one will ever notice, will they?!!? I think they do notice but only a little bit - just look at the sales of the sort of rebadged Skodas already on the road - Polo and Ibiza, then read the complaints about that platforms basic wallet crunching "incidents" - am I a small bit correct here?[/QUOTE]

Why so much hate for Skoda? Have you actually been in/driven one?

If you did your home work you'll know that the new Fabia actuall uses the mk1 fabia chassis but with mods. The Ibiza is the first new small car platform and I think it's horrid!

I am disappointed with the current designs and qualities of Seats (I love my Toledo Mk2 and think it is fantastic, so much car and so well build. It will be a difficult act to follow). I have been in a new Altea and Octavia and unfortunately the Octy is so much further ahead in quality and materials than the Altea (which is a shame as it was top of my list to replace the tolly).

Seat should have taken a leaf out of the Superb and put the hatch back saloon tail boot thing on as it would then be perfect!

Skisbp

If you did your home work you'll know that the new Fabia actuall uses the mk1 fabia chassis but with mods. The Ibiza is the first new small car platform and I think it's horrid!
That's debateable!!!:whistle:
Seat should have taken a leaf out of the Superb and put the hatch back saloon tail boot thing on as it would then be perfect!
Would've been nice maybe in the ExeoII or ToledoIV...:funk:

Skisbp

If you did your home work you'll know that the new Fabia actually uses the Mk1 fabia chassis but with mods. The Ibiza is the first new small car platform and I think it's horrid!
That's debatable!!!:whistle:
Would've been nice maybe in the ExeoII or ToledoIV...:funk:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Not in my book, if that counts for anything, its still Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda - but maybe VAG should make that a bit clearer, Skoda to VAG is probably quite important as it could be (Fabia etc) the way to make all cars cheaply and just badge them as they "go out the door" - no one will ever notice, will they?!!? I think they do notice but only a little bit - just look at the sales of the sort of rebadged Skodas already on the road - Polo and Ibiza, then read the complaints about that platforms basic wallet crunching "incidents" - am I a small bit correct here?

[QUOTE ]Why so much hate for Skoda? Have you actually been in/driven one?
I don't get the "if you had done your home work" bit, if you had done your home work you would know that all the running gear ie suspension steering etc - but excluding powertrain, is all made in CZ - and not as some people would like to think, made in Germany/Spain but to Skoda designs. I've spent about £2000 in the usual unexpected early failures in these components - not good for a "tough little car", and not good for the image of any VW car while less than 4 years/30,000 miles old!

To answer have I actually been in a Skoda - yes many times in an Octavia and driven a Skoda - yes my wife's Polo. But remember that Skoda buyers expect a lot less and pay a bit less for their cars - but still get the £2000 repair hit during the first 4 years of ownership - so their financial pain %age wise is even greater!

[QUOTE I am disappointed with the current designs and qualities of Seats (I love my Toledo Mk2 and think it is fantastic, so much car and so well build. It will be a difficult act to follow). I have been in a new Altea and Octavia and unfortunately the Octy is so much further ahead in quality and materials than the Altea (which is a shame as it was top of my list to replace the tolly).

Remember where the original Superb came from, it was originally meant to be a Passat Plus - but that was shelved and the Superb lost the extra few inches at the front that was meant to let the Passat Plus use Audi V8 engines, but kept the extra rear few inches - so it just had to become the tool of choice of the private hire cab guys. My original reasons for buying a VW Passat were that the A4 was too small and the A6 too big and both in basic 4WD form were far too expensive for me as a private buyer. Still could end up replacing the B5 Passat 4Motion with a second hand A6 Quattro though! Edited - I now know that the new Superb is new Passat - ie Golf VI based

I thing that you are suffering a bit of hate for Seat like I am for Volkswagen (not Skoda) - so we are really in the same boat, but I still reckon Seat's quality will beat Skoda's over the normal period of ownership. I don't know anything at all about the new Superb so cannot comment on it at all as I don't know if its a last rehash of the old A4 B5 platform or the first release of the new Passat aka "over inflated Golf VI". Edited - I see its the later ie Golf VI based - so same base as new Octavia I also get the impression that there are too many duff Skoda service points - okay there must be a few really good ones as well - but they seem to be pulled down by the duff ones - and yes I know only people with complaints tend to speak out, but that is because they paided their own money and ended up not getting what the adverts said they would!

One final sort of warning, when Skoda relaunched the Superb 1.9PDI and made it cleaner to meet the later EURO emission regulations, they achieved that by adding a tank of "stuff" that got squirted into the exhaust at certain times to refresh the particulate filter - in this platform that was the easy way to meet the new regs - the only problem was that most of these cars went straight into cabbing, and mainly in town driving conditions - so the particulate filter refresh sequence could not work as required - it needed a few miles at 50+MPH - if this was not done the emissions system would fail - this was okay while under warranty and VAG paid the price of its "easy way out for this car" - outside warranty though things turned a bit nasty and expensive (so it is reported). Did VAG UK and/or Skoda UK not see that one coming - or did they really care? That is what I worry about when its my pocket that funds any VAG built in problems and the lower down the range the more often this will happen - so maybe that is why I will try to lift myself up to Audi.

Doh, I've made a mess of trying to break your post down into two "topics" - so some of my reply has ended up as being your quote !!

Last edited:

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines

[/QUOTE=iain1970;2096781]This car proves that SEAT are now the poor mans Skoda.

Not in my book, if that counts for anything, its still Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda - but maybe VAG should make that a bit clearer, Skoda to VAG is probably quite important as it could be (Fabia etc) the way to make all cars cheaply and just badge them as they "go out the door" - no one will ever notice, will they?!!? I think they do notice but only a little bit - just look at the sales of the sort of rebadged Skodas already on the road - Polo and Ibiza, then read the complaints about that platforms basic wallet crunching "incidents" - am I a small bit correct here?[/QUOTE]

My problem with the EXEO isn't that it's a traditional VAG platform share, it's that SEAT have made NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER to disguise the fact that it IS a rebadge, not a platform share. The latest Skoda Superb is what the Passat Plus might've been, but VW never sold it, let alone 7 years ago. The EXEO has a SEAT front and bootlid and steering wheel centre, that's it.

IIRC, the Polo 9N, Ibiza Mk4, Fabia and Audi A2 were a platform share and they all looked totally different. The latest Fabia, Ibiza and forthcoming Polo and Audi A1 will all share the same platform (A1 differs with promised multi-link rear) and again all look totally different.

The EXEO doesn't look different from it's donor car. I've nor seen such a lack of creativity since Daewoo sold the Mk2 Astra as a 'new car'.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You are correct - (btw Passat Plus was what Superb MK1 was, Superb MK2 is just straight rebadging of the current Passat) - this all reminds me of "good old??" BMC with their Austin, Morris, Riley and Wolseley offerings in three or four sizes. The old tricks are the best ones. From where I, a VW buyer/driver is standing, you Seat guys have struck lucky this time though as you have been given a gift from Audi, mind you an oldish gift - but I suppose things always look greener from the other side of the fence! In fact I'm just jealous to be honest.

A2day

I made a small chop with the new Exeo... it could be the Exeo Cupra (aka Audi S4):

exeoc12copyft2.jpg

Exeo Cupra

exeoc22copyia3.jpg

Exeo Cupra

And also a "new" version, for those who Exeo looks od:
exeoc12black2zb1.jpg

Nice, righ?
Makes you wonder... are the 4 rings capable of changing a ungly car into an nice looking sedan? :whistle:

Best regards,
A2day

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
how much of a snob am I.... that looks 'right' with the four rings.

I guess that the S doesn't fit the lights.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.