Facelift My09? Rumours or spypics?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The 'test mules' as they like to call them, tend to be very run of the mill. Stock steel wheels is the norm in most cases, but they sometimes run with alloys on too.

Poverty

I cant say I follow many other manufacturers pre development testing, but all the hot audi's always tested with the alloy size they were going to be sold on, except when snow/winter testing!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I cant say I follow many other manufacturers pre development testing, but all the hot audi's always tested with the alloy size they were going to be sold on, except when snow/winter testing!

Probably because there are few Audi's with steel wheels :cartman: They can afford to bling up their mules.

Karadjas

They already have the Cupra platform this time around, I'm guessing all the versions will be launched at about the same time

Karadjas

Yes, but we all know what both of them look like and their specs. I meant it shouldn't take 1-2 years for the hot one to arrive.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
2009-seat-leon-3.jpg

If you look closely at the bottom under the numberplate you can see what appears a rear diffuser on the lower bumper where the cover has been cut out.

Scott

I'm still sure thats the Ibiza, possibly the Cupra or old pictures from before it was released.

EDIT: The wipers are parked alongside the A pillers, but the Ibiza has standard style wipers.
So it probably is a Leon :p

Last edited:

n_olympios

greek member
But isn't the new Golf GTI being released later than the normal facelifted Golf?

Not really, no.

car_photo_285078_25.jpg

golf6.jpg

"Continuing our 'Tour de Paris', we have just received word from our European inside sources that along with the more humble versions of the sixth generation Golf, VW will also take the wraps off the highly-anticipated 2009 Golf GTI at the Paris motorshow. Unfortunately we weren’t able to obtain any official information (or unofficial for that matter) on the GTI’s powertrain options. Most likely, the range-topping Golf will get the latest version of the VW Group’s 2.0-liter turbocharged TFSI engine channeled through a six-speed manual or the highly acclaimed DSG dual-clutch semi-automatic transmission.

Source: Carscoop"

Check this out as well.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Just speculating here but the Golf is a new model, the Leon will just be a facelift next year so no comparison.

Yes normally with a new model the hot versions are released afterwards. The Golf GTi was at least a year after the standard Golf and then there was the R32 and the GTi ED30.

The Leon will likely only be a facelift like the Focus had this year in which case the hot versions should be the same time or immediately after. The Focus ST for example was available shortly after the rest of the range was facelifted.

It could be the hot versions remain unchanged if the facelift is minor, manufacturers have been known to not update the niche models.

n_olympios

greek member
The Golf MkVI is so blatantly more of a thorough facelift than a new model that VW have admitted to it themselves. It shares the same platform with the MkV anyway. Also, the GTI and GTI-R with the AWD system and 270BHP 2.0litre TFSI (it replaces the R32 version as the V6 engine couldn't make the new Euro regulations regarding emmissions) will be available in spring 2009, along with the rest of the range.

Indeed though, the Leon will only get a partial facelift to take on the lines of the brand identity, as shown in the new Ibiza. Usually, the easiest (not to mention cheapest) way of doing this is by creating a new face (after all it is the most "viewed" part of each model) and new rear lights (could even be something as little as different colour for those, just as in the Focus MkII, C4 etc).

I seriously doubt the FR/Cupra versions will remain unchanged though. Suzuki had done this, they facelifted the whole Ignis range except for the Ignis Sport, but that had low sales compared to the rest of the range, plus I think it was being produced elsewhere. In the case of the top performance Leons though, they're hardly niche, considering their percentage ratio to the whole range is quite high. Besides, their differences (from a manufacturer's point of view) are not that great, so why wouldn't Seat include them to the facelifted range? It's not like they're being produced at a different facility anyway.

Anyway these are all, indeed, just speculations. Just my 2cents (we've got Euros here :whistle: ).

priitpo

And you get this idea froooom?

just lookig at the picture - it seems the rear end has been changed the most and is more diguised than the rest of the car + the lights seem to lower than on the present version.... but like i said it's a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

na its just adopting the company face lifted off the ibiza. reckon the rear end is just more rounded like the new ibiza

Cupra-CY

I keep looking at all these spy photos and one question that comes to my mind is this: has anyone verified when they were actually taken?

First of all the test mule in the photos taken during the night is different to that in the photo above.

Second, the front bumper of the test mule in the daytime photo is the same as the front bumper of the aerodynamic kit (or K1 or Linea R). Take a look at the bottom edge and compare to any Linea R or K1 picture.

Third, the front headlamp of the car in the photo below is the same as the current Leon (curvy). It does not form the angle that the headlamps of the new Ibiza or Exeo have. Also note the different front bumper, which looks like the current standard front bumper fitted to all models other than the FR and Cupra.

http://www.autovandaag.nl/upl/Seat_Leon_2009_9421.jpg

And finally, what are all these sensors for? If we are talking about a facelift, there is no point to go back to the basics.

I get the feeling that these are spyshots of the tests performed prior to the release of the Mk2 Leon, back in 2004 or 2005 and they have wrongly been presented as spyshots of the upcoming facelift.

Poverty

I keep looking at all these spy photos and one question that comes to my mind is this: has anyone verified when they were actually taken?

First of all the test mule in the photos taken during the night is different to that in the photo above.

Second, the front bumper of the test mule in the daytime photo is the same as the front bumper of the aerodynamic kit (or K1 or Linea R). Take a look at the bottom edge and compare to any Linea R or K1 picture.

Third, the front headlamp of the car in the photo below is the same as the current Leon (curvy). It does not form the angle that the headlamps of the new Ibiza or Exeo have. Also note the different front bumper, which looks like the current standard front bumper fitted to all models other than the FR and Cupra.

http://www.autovandaag.nl/upl/Seat_Leon_2009_9421.jpg

And finally, what are all these sensors for? If we are talking about a facelift, there is no point to go back to the basics.

I get the feeling that these are spyshots of the tests performed prior to the release of the Mk2 Leon, back in 2004 or 2005 and they have wrongly been presented as spyshots of the upcoming facelift.

new updated suspension settings requiring data logging? Could also for all we know be testing the updated chassis as in the mk6 golf

Leonidas

Found This the other day. Didnt know weather to post it or not. The only difference I can see are the light are changed a tiny bit.
nuevoleones1.jpg

TBH, even if they dont go wild on updating the design I wont be put off. Its in my opinion that the MK2 Leon is one of the finest lookin cars on the road. Look at it compared to the new megane or 308 :sick:.
Or the Toyota Arius :weedy: or watever its called. I see a good few Leons around now(I seen 5 in a car smallish park yesterday and about 5 others around the town) and I still think :love:. I think the most important thing for SEAT this time is to update the dash quality and design and improve the ride quality cause in my opinion the new Ibiza beats the Leon in both areas.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.