Cupra Problem - Broken Gear Box Mount

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Hi all,

something is up with the beast this morning, driving along listening to music and then I suddenly noticed that the car just felt funny. Well it got my attention, really bad vibrations seems to be coming from the driver side front. Also when changing gears, not all the time there is a nasty 'clunk'. And when accelerating hard the vibrations get really intense and the dash shakes.

Now I am thinking drive shaft?

So I have turned around and gone back home and will ring the garage and get it in there ASAP!

Lucky the car still has a few months of warranty left, just wondered if anyone has had the same problem

Last edited:

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Well it gets worse, I have tried to drive the car to the garage and well the noise coming from it is awful. I reckon this could be clutch or gearbox, the most annoying thing about this is I said the garage about a possible clutch issue.

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Yeah I do have warranty and I also hope it is sorted soon. In the meantime I get to drive a WRX Uk spec, so not all bad....thanks dad!! :D

RAC man reckons it is the gearbox, but will not for sure when the garage call me at some point. My poor baby :(

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Called the stealers, i asked them to call me when they know what the problem is. Anyway, turns out that it is the gearbox mount! Should get the car back sat if i cannot get to pick her up tomorrow, which is good as the scooby is not that fast ;)

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
any details would be appreciated. which mount, did it snap, corrode, undo? just to see if it turns out to be a common problem for others.
are you still standard, how many miles?
thanks in advance.

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
I have done 21k, I did run REVO for a while, probably been turned off for about 5k. It went on when the car had done about 2k, I was having some problems with dropping Revs.

Apparently there is only one mount, I asked if there were others.

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
I had a very similar thing happy to me yesterday. Got to work in the morning and there was a hissing noise coming from near the front drivers wheel but just thought I'd gone over a nail or something coming into the industrial estate.

Anyway popped into the office and came out a little later to fix what I was expecting to be a flat tyre as was heading to London later on. The tyre was fine and hadn't gone down at all. Took it for a quick spin round the block and it wasn't driving perfect, not going into gear as smooth as normal but it is due a service so didn't think much as I couldn't find anything wrong.

Later on before I was heading to London I drove it to a local shop but this time something really didn't feel right when changing gears. I was mainly as i brought the clutch up while in gear and under load. very low revs putting into gear slowly seemed ok but normal driving it just wasn't changing right and some times made a clunk noise. The one time the noise was really bad and it was as if I slammed on the break for a sec as i changed gear.

Took it back to work as by this time I had to head off so had to borrow someone else's car.

Today I called up seat assist who sent the AA over. He said he though it might be a drive shaft or gear box problem and towed me over to my local stealer. It was just gone 5pm when we got there so the service people had left as it's friday so gonna have to phone them in the morning to see if I can get a hire car or something if they're going to have it a few days.

Actually been meaning to book it in for a while as they changed the sunroof blind a while back due to a rattle but must have broke a clip in the process as there is now a new rattle and they also put the seatbelt height adjuster back on at a funny angle so it doesn't go up and down.

FYI I've got a 08 Leon FR 170 with 20k on the clock.

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
Well add me to the list of broken gearbox mounts.

Spoke to the dealer and that's what the problem with mine is also. He then said the gearbox or something had moved out of place and broken one of the air-con pipes (which explains the hiss noise when I first got out of my car)

Parts are on order and should get my car back tomorrow hopefully. Unfortunately they've not been able to sort me out a hire car so have been having to rely on borrowing cars off mates when I need.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.