Clutch, What have you fitted to your PD TDi?

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
I think you have convinced me mate - therefore receiving your commission from Helix :D

Only joking - although i have seen the threads with the clutch slip ( i'll just hold my clutch in when i'm going round town or whatever :D

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
The helix is £880 with the single mass flywheel included, which weighs 12lbs i think.
The sachs one will still have issues with the amount of torque it can transmit. Would i be right in thinking, that like me you intend to go for a hybrid somewere down the line?

I wish i did get commision from helix bud. Just offering my advice, as i hate to see people wishing they chosen a better option.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
hmm, think i will have to hear in flesh, that clip , reminds me of our old tractor we used for the beach, if it is that loud think i mite take my chances on the DMf

assume you can get the kit in dmf versions

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
The DMF will probably last as long as the clutch plate in my experience. The Sachs clutch will handle the torque levels that most of us are likely to tune our cars to - 410lbft is possible so that's some tuning to go beyond that.

There is a lot to be said for the SMF but for me, the extra rattle would be too much and the DMF does also offer some protection to the drivetrain from the vibrations and harsh clutch use.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
The rattle is very misunderstood. How difficult is it to sit at a red light for a brief pause with the clutch pedal in? That's all it takes to stop the rattling that everyone moans about. :) In fact I often let the clutch pedal out so people in the car next to me think mine's about to blow up. :D

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Gave the MOT tester a shock earlier this week. ;) Had to come and check with me the gearbox was OK. I would have thought they'd be familiar with single mass flywheels but clearly not one as loud as mine in neutral...

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
lol, thats what puts me off one, mines a daily driver, and couldnt bear the thought of all that noise,

i hated my old car being that stiff and mtx sledgehammers hammering the bass tones it made everything rattle,

i now like my new one, its std , looks good and fairly quick , not bad for a family hatch!

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
Gave the MOT tester a shock earlier this week. ;) Had to come and check with me the gearbox was OK. I would have thought they'd be familiar with single mass flywheels but clearly not one as loud as mine in neutral...

hehe, i'm kind of worried about that too come MOT time...is it worth mentioning it before they do it or let them figure it out?

Clatters like buggery in neutral. Forever getting funny looks at traffic lights :)

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
The DMF will probably last as long as the clutch plate in my experience. The Sachs clutch will handle the torque levels that most of us are likely to tune our cars to - 410lbft is possible so that's some tuning to go beyond that.

There is a lot to be said for the SMF but for me, the extra rattle would be too much and the DMF does also offer some protection to the drivetrain from the vibrations and harsh clutch use.

So your saying a Sach clutch with duel mass should be fine for a hybrid TDI?

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
It should be fine. Check with the likes of Jabba to be certain but I'll put a hybrid on mine when its ready for replacement! I think that Jonjay on here has gone that way with his. Look his thread up via the link in his sig.

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
I'm going for the helix, not sure when but in the next few weeks as mine seems better atm ( although not been trashing it as of late ). When i get a hybrid, i don't want to ***** about with the power waiting untill 3000 revs etc - although i may have to due to traction :lol:

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I looked and Jonjay has the hybrid turbo and sachs uprated clutch on oem DMF. Drop him a pm or something asking him about how he's getting on with it.

Neil82

Nov 25, 2001
Visit site
Dreaded clutch slip has happened to my TDI FR. I've searched and read loads of threads... Am I right in saying a Helix clutch kit + a new OEM DMF will be good enough for a stage 2 FR Ibiza? Also where can I buy this as a package, and am I right in thinking it will skin me about 700 pounds?

Cheers
Neil

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
"should be", but then I bought a 400 lb/ft clutch kit in good faith and COOKED it with 2 1/8 mile drags.... Sometimes you have to fit the VERY best for long term peace of mind. I have done that and would hope the Helix combo would also....

Neil82

Nov 25, 2001
Visit site
"should be", but then I bought a 400 lb/ft clutch kit in good faith and COOKED it with 2 1/8 mile drags.... Sometimes you have to fit the VERY best for long term peace of mind. I have done that and would hope the Helix combo would also....

Hey

I've decided to go for the Helix setup with a Helix SMF just to be on the safe side. Awesome sell it all for about £800 are they the cheapest around?

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Hey

I've decided to go for the Helix setup with a Helix SMF just to be on the safe side. Awesome sell it all for about £800 are they the cheapest around?

I believe theres only themselves and one other company who sell helix clutches, and the price is set by Helix them selves, so yes, its as cheap as you will get it.

Neil82

Nov 25, 2001
Visit site
I believe theres only themselves and one other company who sell helix clutches, and the price is set by Helix them selves, so yes, its as cheap as you will get it.

Cool thanks for replying... still driving the Ibiza it only slips low down in the revs under full throttle so very easy to drive round till I get new clutch kit. Totally reamed a mark1 172 today, went passed it with ease :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise