Clutch, What have you fitted to your PD TDi?

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
n00b question.... how can you tell when you're got clutch slip?

i was reading this and going to ask the same question.

I sometimes feel this harsh thump-thump if i accelerate hard in 1st or 2nd but ive always put that down the stability control pulsing the brakes as the ESP light flashes at the time.

Ive just a standard 170 so perhaps not enough to make the standard clutch slip?

Stuart

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Clutch slip is putting it in 4th gear @ under 2000rpm, FLOOR IT, and revs rise quite a lot but with no acceleration. It is quite scary when you realise it is happening, much to my shock on my above mentioned 1/8 mile drags. Mine was so bad it was redlining whilst I was still just pootling along at under 30mph in 3rd gear....

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Is it most likley to happen in 4th? Why not other gears.

I have seen what i thought was perhaps wheel spin, rev's rising - or fluctuating up and down unnaturally between 3 and 4k revs as i eased off the throttle but no speed.

Happened a few times, one time i did wonder why the ESP light wasnt flashing at me, i thought it perhaps allowed some wheel spin provided they were both spinning the same/you were going in a straight line.

Im wondering if this was clutch slip?

Does seat class the clutch as a consumable or a life time part?

My thoughts is that the poor design which causes slip will limit the life span indeterminatly. Im sure they have wiggle room though!

Stuart

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Any gear from 4th upwards at 2,000rpm should do the same. 4th is generally better as you're doing a manageable speed (40mph?) and accelerating up to 60 or 70 is not usually a problem. 5th and 6th might mean you reach higher speeds, and also 4th tends to have more guts so will help make any clutch slip more apparent. Clutch slip has no relevance to ESP. That's simply you losing grip on the road. You should only do it where safe/dry and in a straight line. ESP shouldn't factor when a clutch slips. 2000rpm - floor it - revs rise, no or very little acceleration to match it - That is all. Should be no fluctuating off throttle - clutch slip only happens when on power, full power basically.

Clutch is almost certainly a consumable, but a pretty new one on a stock pd170 should not be slipping and I would be moaning to Seat if it was so early on in life.

Neil82

Nov 25, 2001
Visit site
My clutch only slips when at about 1500 under full throttle but just for a split second, above 2k and there is no slip at all and it flies. Still replacing it asap though.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
I'm often full throttle 2-3-4 then up into 5 or 6 depending on the road ahead and i dont notice it very often.

To and from work is dual cartridge way with a few roundabouts and your lucky if you ever see 2-3 cars front or back so there's no probs to getting upto speed quickly. If its a nice day at the weekend ill perhaps go a run.

I'm not a high speed person but i like to feel im making progress so there's plenty of in gear acceleration and opportunity for clutch slip if its happening.

Stuart

Neil82

Nov 25, 2001
Visit site
Would a clutch either SACHS or Helix fit to the standard DMF and if my current DMF is in good condition is there any reason to replace it? i.e would a uprated clutch and a standard DMF allow me to use all the power with no slippage on a FR with FMIC,full system, filter and a CC stage 2?

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
hi mate,

there won't be any problem using an uprated clutch unit with the stock dmf, although you may (just my thoughts) run into warranty issues if you use a new clutch with your old dmf, regardless of its condition.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.