Clutch, What have you fitted to your PD TDi?

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
i experienced clutch slip for the 1st time last night :cry:, after nearly 2 years of happy motoring since i had my car remapped, so i'm starting to look into uprated clutches :rolleyes:

been doing some searches and have found Sachs and Helix to be mentioned most.
what exepriences have people had of these?

IIRC, Sachs is good for 345 ft/lbs and the Helix 365 ft/lbs :shrug:

i've read about Single Mass Flywheels and Dual Mass Flywheels being used.
what exepriences have people had of these?

would i need a new flywheel or just a clutch kit? :shrug:

has anybody used another makes / setups?

BTW, if my turbo were to go pop in the future :rolleyes: i'd likely go hybrid :whistle:, so i'd want to fit a clutch now that could handle this ;)

strugers1

my sachs clutch from jabba sport is the dmf one they said good for 400lb ft torque but the smf is good for 420lbft

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I have a clutch from the USA, from Spec. Stage 3+ and good for 600 lb/ft at the wheels. Complemented by a super light flywheel which helps revs pick-up nice and fast.

DSCN1671.jpg

DSCN1664.jpg

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
i'd saw the Sachs one on the Jabba website earlier, looks favourite ;)

devenutopia, 600 ft/lbs @ the wheels :blink:
is that what your aiming for :D
is it a harsh clutch or OEM feel to it?
:think: how much was that, if you don't mind me asking :) (PM me if you'd prefer it not being common knowledge;))

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Worked out around $1200 US. Back when it was $2:£1 it was a good price. £600 all in, quality.

It's quite harsh yes. Even now, I still sometimes stall the car. Clutch is a "bit" stiffer than oem, but oem is real easy, and I am used to how it works now. There's no way I'm going to be touching 600 lb/ft, but it's nice to know I have a bullet-proof clutch.

strugers1

where as the schs uprated is slightly stiffer but when warn in its feels like a heavy oem one lol

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
Spec stage 2 with steel SMF...like Devon I got it direct from the states when the exchange rate was decent, think I paid around £550 all-in. Some say a smf on a stage 2 is a bit of overkill but as it was such a good deal (and my dmf wasn't in such good nick), I went for it.

Will handle up to around 410 ft/lb torque and is a pleasure to drive with. Not harsh at all and a ton more responsive than the crappy oem combo...

clutch-1.jpg

strugers1

devon i meant cost lol sorry should have wrote that i guess lol

strugers1

oh i see can you buy seperateley??
i run dmf atm but i want smf but i light weight one really if i can

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
the lighter you go the rougher the rattly SMF thing will be, and the less idle tickover too. But it makes gearchanges so fast, and revs pick up and drop off very fast indeed.

strugers1

does anyone know where you can buy the lightweight fkywheel??
i presume my dmf clutch plate will go straight onto a lightweight smf??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.