Fuel filter how to

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Hi, just thought id do a mini write up of this to help others out as its a real easy half hour job (petrol cars) that will save you dealer labour and something that I feel haynes could explain better. I would add pics but as i was so close to the parts they have come out all blurry.

Tools;
Penetrating fluid
Trolley jack and axle stands
Bent long nose pliers or something rigid to poke in a tight space :p
Drip tray - to stop you G/F, wife or mum getting annoyed at the mess on the drive
Flat head screw driver
8mm socket and ratched
Grease - option, if you like to keep things lubed up

1) Day before spray the connection ends and the jubilee clip with penetrating fluid (plus gas or WD40). The filter is located drivers side infront of the rear wheel
2) Get the car somewhere flat.
3) Chock the front wheels/put it in first gear
4) Open up the fuse box and remove fuse F28 - for the fuel pump (Fuses are on the driverrs side dash panel that the door closes against*. Whip this off with your key and all the fuses are listed on the back of the cover.
5) Start the car to depressurise the system - let it run till it cuts out then remove the keys.
6) Remove the jacking point covers if cupra/cupra r model then Jack up the car and support with axle stands - I jacked the car up from the rear axle (please only undertake this if you know about jacking points as this is a critical to your safety).
7) Locate the filter infront of the rear drivers wheel where you probably put the axle stand. Put the drip tray under the filter as its going to get messy
8) You will notice a cable under the filter. This is the handbrake cable, locate the hanger that holds this in position and pop the cable off.
9) On the rear connector push in the bottom button using the pliers then pull the connector off. On the front connector twist it around slightly as the button is on the top (this is where the bent long nose pliers are very useful)- push this in with the pliers and pull the connector off. Fuel will piss out so please be prepared and wear googles/gloves if necessary.
10) Undo the large jubilee clip attaching the filter to the bracket. The head of this can be corroded so may take some effort. Be gentle and remove it with either the 8mm socket and ratchet or a flat head screw driver. If you havent used the penetrating fluid the day before give it a blast with some now.
11) Remove the filter and the jubilee clip. I chose to quickly clean the clip up with some fine wet and dry and then grease the screw and thread section as mine barely moved.
12) Thread the jubilee clip back through the wide section of the bracket with the arrow on the bracket and do it up a few threads just so it gets started
13) Insert the filter Check flowing to engine/front of car - see arrows on filter!, do up the jubilee clip leaving the head somewhere accessible if you need to replace it again, reconnect the pipes by pushing on the fuel hoses, re hook the handbrake cable, lower the car back down, replace fuse F28 and run the engine - JOB DONE!!!

I've made the how to as detailed as i think it needs to be as it really is quite a simple job. If you have a standard model like my old mk4 golf its even possible to do it without jacking the car up just have a mirror handy. Finally if your still slightly unsure please take it to a garage.

Hope this helps a few
Adam

Last edited:

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
Ty dude, very helpful for all im sure! Havent attempted a fuel filter change in ages, did one on my cordoba a year or so ago, and couldnt find the fookin fuel filter at all lol.

Last edited:

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
Or you could NOT read this guide, struggle massively, make a chuffing great mess in the garage, get high as a kite, bleed lots, and need anger management therapy!!!

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
... bottom button?

Tried to do this the other day but had to stop. Mine is just a black connector that fits onto the pipe coming out ot the fuel filter. When you say push the button do you mean squeeze the end of the connector nearest the fuel filter?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Hi, at the end of the connector where it attaches to the filter mine had two parts that had to be pushed in - and rather hard at that so sort of like buttons/tabs. When i did mine i pushed them in with angled long nose pliers. If your unsure have a proper look round using a mirror and torch.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
If you are unsure of how the connectors work:

After you've de-pressurised the system of fuel.......

Look under the bonnet near the driver's side suspension turret. Three pipes come up here from below the car. If you look at the front one, it goes to the carbon canister as it is the fuel vent.

On this pipe - look at the connector at it's highest point on the turret. You will easily see how you press a clip to undo it. Try undoing and then replacing it. The connectors on the filter work exactly the same way. :)

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Hi, at the end of the connector where it attaches to the filter mine had two parts that had to be pushed in - and rather hard at that so sort of like buttons/tabs. When i did mine i pushed them in with angled long nose pliers. If your unsure have a proper look round using a mirror and torch.
Thanks mate - assumed that was the case but didn't want to force anything.

If you are unsure of how the connectors work:

After you've de-pressurised the system of fuel.......

Look under the bonnet near the driver's side suspension turret. Three pipes come up here from below the car. If you look at the front one, it goes to the carbon canister as it is the fuel vent.

On this pipe - look at the connector at it's highest point on the turret. You will easily see how you press a clip to undo it. Try undoing and then replacing it. The connectors on the filter work exactly the same way. :)
Thanks Dave - always useful info. I'll have a look/go at least that way I'll be more clued up when under the car.

Cris L

Good laugh - followed this guide and the connector between the fuel line and the filter broke. Where can i get a new one?

jennings

didnt quite expect that much fuel to come out and it went all in my face and in my eyes which really hurt lol so be careful of this ppl, highly advise googles not safety glasses on becasue i had safety glasses on and it didnt help,

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Did you remove the fuse? that should take most the pressure out. Chuck a rag over the pipe before you pull it off as that will absorb all the fuel.

jennings

yea i took the fuse out, i dont understand why so much came out, but oh well its done now and all is good

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
how do you do that, i followed the instructions perfectly

4) open up the fuse box and remove fuse f28 - for the fuel pump (fuses are on the driverrs side dash panel that the door closes against*. Whip this off with your key and all the fuses are listed on the back of the cover.
5) start the car to depressurise the system - let it run till it cuts out then remove the keys.

;)

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
Followed the instructions and worked perfectly!

Just the way i did it, but the jubilee clip as you would expect from being open to all the elements was in a bit of a sorry state, so i completely undone it and removed it, used two good quality plastic cable ties instead, and IMO this is a lot better and wont rust away and cause you more problems further down the line

Cheers
Jose

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.