Should i use Optimax in my 1.2?

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
I was just wondering whether it would be worth paying a bit extra for Optimax in my 1.2 because i read on the internet cars with engine management computers are able to gain more miles from Premium fuel as the computer can run it less rich or something? So basically would i get better MPG from using Optimax and if yes would it be worth paying the extra price for a bit of extra MPG? Thanks :)

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
:no: Not worth the extra outlay really just to get more MPG (I doubt you will see any extra anyway!) Best thing you can do is keep the tyres up to pressure, regular oil changes and smoother driving style.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Ok thanks, I put £20 in last week and got 170 off it, is that good do you think? Because it seemed to be drinking it before. I have been driving really smooth to day so i didn't run out but it was so boring and annoying for everyone behind lol. I was in 5th at 30 haha.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Ok thanks, I put £20 in last week and got 170 off it, is that good do you think? Because it seemed to be drinking it before. I have been driving really smooth to day so i didn't run out but it was so boring and annoying for everyone behind lol. I was in 5th at 30 haha.

Not sure for a 1.2 really but sounds OK. Driving like a granny is chuffing dull...

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Yeah, i was using Asda petrol when the engine light came on and took it to an RAC guy i know and he put the diagnosis computer in and said it was idling funny and is usually due to using cheap supermarket petrol and then said people think all petrol is the same but it's not. Anyway its always Shell for me now :) was just trying to figure out if Optimax (or V Power , has it been renamed? ) would be better but it seems not :)

Thanks for the help :)

Yeah, i was using Asda petrol when the engine light came on and took it to an RAC guy i know and he put the diagnosis computer in and said it was idling funny and is usually due to using cheap supermarket petrol and then said people think all petrol is the same but it's not. Anyway its always Shell for me now :) was just trying to figure out if Optimax (or V Power , has it been renamed? ) would be better but it seems not :)

Thanks for the help :)

Nope only of use to cars that are mapped to use it other wise its pointless though VAG's FSi engines need it try and prevent the coking of the valves.

How do i get a card? They don't even offer a receipt unless you ask them lol.

Shells website, they always try & thrust them upon me and i have no wish to be reminded how much fuel i use!

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Nope only of use to cars that are mapped to use it other wise its pointless though VAG's FSi engines need it try and prevent the coking of the valves.

Shells website, they always try & thrust them upon me and i have no wish to be reminded how much fuel i use!

In the garages

Edit: Is it a credit card? I don't want a Credit Card, i pay there and then. I thought it was a reward card lol.

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
I just filled my car up today from Tesco, and my car feels like its aged 10 years. Notised it shortly after filling up, pulling out of a junction and the car just felt dead, making the next car coming along slam on his brakes fairly hard.

([:@] Tesco gobbled £45 of my money for their rubbish fuel [:@] )

Generally fill up at Sainbuys and have had no bother with their fuel.

Any1 else find Tesco fuel crap?

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
nope fuel is fuel its not going to be tesco value fuel is it.
fuel probally all comes from the same refinary so whats the difference.

It's not all the same , trust me. I posted earlier about the RAC guy telling me about Asda fuel. He said supermarkets use different chemicals in there to make it run thinner and ive since used Shell and got more MPG from it and the car feels smoother.

It makes me laugh how people buy the best mods and best of everything for their car but use any old petrol.

It's not all the same , trust me. I posted earlier about the RAC guy telling me about Asda fuel. He said supermarkets use different chemicals in there to make it run thinner and ive since used Shell and got more MPG from it and the car feels smoother.

It makes me laugh how people buy the best mods and best of everything for their car but use any old petrol.

ive never seen a difference in mpg or performance in shell etc to supermarket fuel.
you dont beleive everything people tell you do you.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
try it for yourself and see if you think it's worth the extra or if you really want to then check search too you'll find many a reason, opinion, discussion about it

personally as i don't do many miles i use it in everything that drinks petrol inc the bikes and noticed that Ford's 1.25 zetec engine's particulary pleasant using it when compared to usual supermarket junk so not all about performance.

end of the day up to you

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
i used to use Tesco's 99 stuff but just got far too expensive for the extra smooth acceleration and bit more MPG. I now use Shell's normal 95 and applied for their Driver's card. the money saved can be put toward getting better tyres, air filter which will see more benefits than just the fuel alone.

Of course your own driving style is the big factor here.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
nope fuel is fuel its not going to be tesco value fuel is it.
fuel probally all comes from the same refinary so whats the difference.

That is not correct at all, as far as Tesco fuel is concerned, it is shipped in from Europe in its final state - ie as Petrol etc. In UK fuel is refined regionally and all "brands" use each other's refined spirit. Where the differance comes is what is added at the individual brands stands - ie what additives are added just prior to getting loaded up with petrol. Remember none of the quoted specs or numbers refer to what is going into your tank - these numbers only refer to the refined spirit - and that is not what your engines likes to be fed with.

Shell cards, well I gave up after they gave me the fourth new card - each one only had had one set of point sloaded into it - then failed! I tend to try to avoid Shell stations as they are head and shoulders above any other brand for letting card skimming happen by their operators - if you don't believe me just search for that info. Add to that Shell's canny knack of ignoring letters sent to them on that subject - I'm lucky as they never "got" my credit card! I try to stick to Esso and BP - Shell if I'm desperate, that idea usually well enough any where I go in Europe. Mind you all the Shell station guys in Italy seem to wear Ferrari shirts.

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
Your car being a small non-turbo will not gain any performance advantage when using Super fuels. You will only find your wallet is a bit lighter than normal. :rolleyes: It only works for highly tuned turbo-charged cars where their ECU can take advantage to the increased octane number. Or classic cars which need 98 octane that lead gave them (4* or LRP).

A few years ago 5th gear tested thee fuels and tested on different types of car. They found no change in performance with a normal car, but with a Subaru Impreza WRX, 5 BHP more with BP Ultimate and 10 BHP with Optimax (old V-Power), there was quite a bit more torque with Optimax as well 16 Nm or ft lb (can't remember which).

I would just stick to Shell, BP, Jet, etc. and avoid supermarket fuel.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.