Bulb Replacement

Maleko

Hi, been looking at getting some new bulbs for my Ibiza, I don't want to go down the HID road, so dont suggest it to me :p

Im looking at the OSRAM Cool Blue range (or nightbreakers), I want to change all the bulbs really and found them on carbulbs.com: http://www.carbulbs.com/seat-ibiza-...Year=2005&SearchAlive=1&Class=ncv&c=&Ref=prod (can probably get them cheaper off ebay, but this site had a nice search feature to find what i was after).

Couple of questions, they say H4 and I have read on the forums there supposed to be H3?
Also anyone got good feedback from OSRAM cool blue lights?

I want to change Dipped, Full Beam, Parking and Fog lights.

red_october

I used to have Osram nightbreakers in my Ibiza I thought they were great and never had any problems with them. They were running a deal where you got cool blue sidelights for free with evey set of nightbreakers, the bulbs looked blue but there was no blue tint in my ones at all.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
If your signiture pic is of your car then you need:
Dipped beam: H7
Main beam: H3
Foglights: H3
Sidelights: W5W / 501 / T10

The cool blue range is good and give a good improvement over "standard" type bulbs, although they have a blue coating they don`t shine blue... just look less yellow than standard. I put some H4`s in my gf`s mk3.

If you want pure lighting performance then go for Osram nightbreakers, I had these before i went HID and still have them in my mains.
These tend to cost more though - ebay are your best bet.

As said some people throw in some 501 sidelights (osram cool blue), so this would be a good deal.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Oh, and beware of some sites - they get the bulb fitments wrong! AutobulbsDirect is another one that has them wrong.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've used Powerbulbs a few times - for same car and always get Vision Plus or whatever they are called now - I've always chosen the bulb type so there would not be a problem, but, first time I used Powerbulb they charged for dip and sent mains - which was not too bad as I then ordered dips again, but talked to them first so was charged for mains this time!! I've still to try the free blue side lights - I'll fit one set on to the Passat as its got HIDs, my ETOS (other VAG parts list cat) shows blue side lights for Seat Ibizas that have factory fit HIds - hope these free ones give the same effect!

cupratdianth

If your signiture pic is of your car then you need:
Dipped beam: H7
Main beam: H3
Foglights: H3
Sidelights: W5W / 501 / T10

The cool blue range is good and give a good improvement over "standard" type bulbs, although they have a blue coating they don`t shine blue... just look less yellow than standard. I put some H4`s in my gf`s mk3.

If you want pure lighting performance then go for Osram nightbreakers, I had these before i went HID and still have them in my mains.
These tend to cost more though - ebay are your best bet.

As said some people throw in some 501 sidelights (osram cool blue), so this would be a good deal.

sorry, i find this topic so confusing.... so does this work the same for hid's? my car is the same as his signature pic....so could i get a HID kit for my main beam h3, and HID kit for my dipped beam h7. so that would be two HID kits altogether? does that make sense? probably gonna cost me over 200 pound!

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
sorry, i find this topic so confusing.... so does this work the same for hid's? my car is the same as his signature pic....so could i get a HID kit for my main beam h3, and HID kit for my dipped beam h7. so that would be two HID kits altogether? does that make sense? probably gonna cost me over 200 pound!

I just bought myself a pair of night breakers for £14 with the free sidelights off ebay :D:happy:

Personally i wouldn't go done the HID route as I thankfully dont have to do much night driving and couldn't justify the price (also they aren't technically legal ;) ).

I'd say you would only have to change your dipped headlights as they are the ones you use most. Dont see much point in changing the main ones.

I've got Osram nightbreakers in mine - can only recommend them.

if you have the single reflector headlamps then the powerbulbs website is correct and you need the dual filament H4 bulb

if you have the twin reflector headlamps then you need H7 for dipped beam and H3 full beam as stated above.

Maleko

Thanks for all your helsp guys, MOST helpful!

Found them all on Ebay, for all bulbs £40!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I've still to try the free blue side lights - I'll fit one set on to the Passat as its got HIDs, my ETOS (other VAG parts list cat) shows blue side lights for Seat Ibizas that have factory fit HIds - hope these free ones give the same effect!

If they are osram cool blue or philips blue vision then they are 4000k, I`ve tried both in the past.

One HID conversion kit consists of 2x HID bulbs(H7 or whatever), 2x ballasts(power transformer boxes) and the necessary wires... so you would need two kits, one H7 kit and one H3 kit. But most people just convert the dip beam.

Thanks for all your helsp guys, MOST helpful!

Found them all on Ebay, for all bulbs £40!

Not bad at all, which ones did you go for?

Maleko

I've gone for the OSRAM Nightbreakers & Cool Blue for the side lights.
Rather funny, as this morning I noticed my drivers side dipped beam has gone!

Maleko

are these 2 bulbs here incorrect: Main/Fog

Dipped/Low Beam: H7
Main/High Beam: H1
Front Fog Lamp: H7
Side/Parking Lamp: W5W

Powerbulbs show these in results. I was just lookign round, so many sites show different results! lol

Maleko

They arrived today, very impressed with the speed of delivary from an ebay seller!

I am very happy with them, a lot whiter than before, although the side lights are no where near blue (expected them not to be blue tbh), but again, a lot whiter than before!

Cheers for the help guys :)

Maleko

here we go: (excuse the blown bulb!)

Before

bulbsbefore01.jpg

bulbsbefore02.jpg

After:

bulbsafter01.jpg

bulbsafter02.jpg

Maleko

Cheers :) Just gotta do that strange hole drilling mod to the light cover to stop them from steaming up! ggrrr lol