Wants turbo chatter on mk2 FR

Jan 15, 2009
Kent
As far as i know you have 2 options,

One is a DV Spacer, but thats more of a tsshh, until under boost then you get a small flutter.

The other is a induction kit, a open cone kit is normally louder and you will get the flutter which is normally pretty load.

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
Isnt wastegate chatter really bad for turbos? Its surely much better to relive the wasted pressure of a turbo all in one go than letting it go in chunks?

I'm sure i've read articles on why chatter is bad for the life of the turbo.

:confused:

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
If you increase your boost levels significantly and you have a forge valve you gonna get a lot of "WRC" like turbo chatter, when you're hammering the car on every gear change.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Isnt wastegate chatter really bad for turbos? Its surely much better to relive the wasted pressure of a turbo all in one go than letting it go in chunks?

I'm sure i've read articles on why chatter is bad for the life of the turbo.

:confused:

I think this is a bit of a myth tbh

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
I think this is a bit of a myth tbh

Are you sure? When you actually think about what happens when u get chatter the blade in the turbo will be forced to slow down the allowed to spin again then forced to slow down etc...

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Are you sure? When you actually think about what happens when u get chatter the blade in the turbo will be forced to slow down the allowed to spin again then forced to slow down etc...

This is what I'd been led to believe. Would it put more pressure on the turbo constantly spooling up, backing off. If it was happening constantly, make you wonder what the ECU may do to compensate?

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
I don't think the ECU could do anything? It presumably causes back pressure on the turbo. So you will have the active force of the exhaust gasses on one side of the turbo wanting it to spin the "normal" way then the back pressure your causing with chatter trying to make it spin the opposite way. The "Myth" apparently causes excessive shaft play (its the twisting force on the shaft and blades that will cause this over time).

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I don't think the ECU could do anything? It presumably causes back pressure on the turbo. So you will have the active force of the exhaust gasses on one side of the turbo wanting it to spin the "normal" way then the back pressure your causing with chatter trying to make it spin the opposite way. The "Myth" apparently causes excessive shaft play (its the twisting force on the shaft and blades that will cause this over time).

Thanks, really good point well made. Towards the end of my Ring lap my car started to do quite a bit of this, and fortunately it's not a common occurrence, only seems to happen when pushed REALLY hard and hot, or when the revs are low in a high gear and you boot it (which I try never to do).

I've noticed it far more since fitting the big CAI system. Is this likely to just have accentuated something that was already happening, or be contributing?

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
If you do it properly then the "Pigeon Mod" is bad for the turbo as you are forcing the pressure built up back the wrong way through the turbo.
Unless you get a "proper" waste gate or screamer pipe then I really think you are just getting confused with BOVs and uprated re-circs.

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
I'm trying to find out what westgate to get for my mk2 leon fr for turbo chatter but can't seem to find anyone that knows. Can anyone help with this?

here we go again....

Right, wastegates dont chatter, flutter, or make any other WRC style noises.

They are either open or closed. they do not chatter.

The wastegate is there to control the boost level, once the turbo hits actuator pressure, this pushes the actuator open thus open the wastegate to maintain a stable boost, once boost drops below the set level of the actuator, it closes and starts all over again.

The noise you are refering to is call turbo/compressor stall or surge. you get this when either you have no recirc/BOV fitted like a WRC car or you have one fitted and its set too hard.

The noise is excess boost backing up when you lift off the throttle and the throttle plat shuts, at this point the flutter or chatter is the air being forced backwards through the turbo blades causing them to slow. this is the chatter noise.

sounds nice, turbos dont like it tho.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I was going to say there is a mix up here between wastegate chatter and the 'blow off' from a DV.

Wastegates can chatter buts usually down to a weak wastegate and instead of sealing the wastegate bounces, very bad indeed.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.