Maximum size alloys for a 1.2 Mk4?

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
I was planning to purchase some new alloys, as frankly mine are a bit....boring?

I was having a conversation with my brother about sizes, and when he bought his 16" Team Dynamic alloys, he was told generally to aim for 16", as any higher to could put unnecessary risk on the gearbox. Is this correct?

Added to that, what do I need to know, in terms of correct measurements, to directly fit my Mk4 Ibiza Ref. Sport? I just let a gorgeous set of alloys go on ebay (SO tempted to bid) but really didn't want to risk it without knowing they would fit :doh:

I believe the Ibiza has PCD of 5x100, but what else would I require the wheels to be?

Cheers :D

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Physically 18s will fit, however not the best route imho

16s wil do fine id say, have a look about on ebay for second hand wheels. Something like a nice set of refurbed A3 Sport wheels (5x100) would look perfect.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
I just found a lovely set of BMW 3 series wheels, and they finally went for £200 with tyres, and no marks (blimmin bargain!)... Is there anything else I need to know, aside from being 5x100 ??

I love the aesthetics of anything like Cupra/Skoda vRS, generally 5 sets of 2 spokes, or similar ;)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Image.ashx

Those are the A3 ones I was on about, VAG wheels always look cool in a different shade and with lower profile tyres.

Like these on my g/f Fabia, they are also 16", from a poverty spec Audi TT so very cheap.

290820091522.jpg

Go mental with a refurb though, colour coded alloys are all over the place at the moment and can look cool, but need the car to pull them off if they are bold like mine..

DSC_0006.jpg

Bit of a self confessed VAG wheel ***** tbh.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Hm not sure why the picture in my original post didn't work...but I guess my alloys are similar to those in your first image of the Audi. If I'm honest I don't like large solid spokes as on the Fabia; I prefer the style of your ones!

So is 16", 5x100 the only thing I need to look for???

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Offset is also important, I would be looking for an ET or around 35 IMHO so they dont get lost in the arches.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
They are marmite wheels, but that was the point. I took a gamble on having them done but they come out just how I wanted them and im very happy with them.

PH1L NI

Agnew SEAT
Jan 6, 2009
Northern Ireland
www.modmedia.co.uk
DSC_0006.jpg

Bit of a self confessed VAG wheel ***** tbh.

Seen your car on Detailing World..

LOVE your wheels! Are the new beezers still 5x100 nowhere on internet will tell me! :confused:

Good advice with the ET35, That's what mine are.. Old ones (RS4s/6's whatever you call them) were ET38 and fine too! My original seat ones were tucked sooooo fair in my arches when I lowered it, it looked rubbish!

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
17's will be fine mate... there is a thread in the FAQ section for alloys and what fits - use the search luke :starwars:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members