H.I.D's...fitting help,pics please

wazzzer

Mar 18, 2010
halstead essex
Hi
Can anyone help with fitting hids?
Just got a pair of h7 4300ks and the pics on the instructions arnt that great, bit confusing. It also says you have to disconnect the battery is this right? Also where do you mount the ballasts? If anyone can help with advice or even better some pics that would be great. Thanks

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
when i did mine i had to drill holes in the covers that clip onto the back of the lamps to run the cables to the ballasts outside the lamps,i then cable tied my ballasts around my cold air feed pipe on the left,and the washer bottle on the left.seem to be all ok and perfectly secure

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Its not as daunting as it all sounds mate.

Best bet is to pop the bonnet and get a look at the backs of your headlights. Try the driver's side first as you'll have the most room here and be able to see what's going on the best.

Pop off the black headlight cover (it's kept on by two clips). Now you can see your bulb sitting in the headlight with the black OEM connection running from it, out of sight. When you have everything fitted you'll need to connect the two spade connections running from the HID to this. Also running from your HIDs there will be two other wires with a rubber grommet along the way.

This grommet is to sit in a 25mm hole you have to drill in the black headlight cover. The wires then run into your engine bay and are connected to the ballast. It might be worth trying to connect everything together away from the car to get an idea in your head how it will all sit when fitted.

The halogen bulbs are held in place by one of the most badly designed, fiddely things I've ever had the misfortune of coming across. Once you figure out how to pop this off, you can take the bulb out and disconnect it from the spade connections mentioned earlier.

At this stage you might want to wire everything up for a test run to make sure the kit is working.

If you don't have a 25mm bit lying about, you can do what I did and make do by drilling lots of small holes to a rough hole 25mm in diameter..

Pop the wires through the hole and fix the grommet. Now you have the fun task of trying to get the HID bulbs in place with the headlight cover attached.. Top tip is the bulbs can only go in one way. You may have to rotate them until you feel them sitting in properly. Visually check through the lens to be sure.

Once you've managed that, connect the spade connections to the OEM connections, pop the headlight cover on, connect the ballast and double check everything is working again as some of the components are quite susceptible to damage (I had to re-crimp two of my spade connectors).

On the driver side some people like to hide the ballast under the waterpump, but I never bothered as the only time I have the hood up is to check fluid levels.. So anywhere secure and away from extreme heat is fine.

Repeat for the passenger side. You'll want to remove the battery cover this time to give yourself room (some people even remove the battery). There's a little shelf right underneath the cover this time that you can fit your ballast on too :)

There's probably better ways of doing it all, but that worked for me

Last edited:

wazzzer

Mar 18, 2010
halstead essex
Its not as daunting as it all sounds mate.

Best bet is to pop the bonnet and get a look at the backs of your headlights. Try the driver's side first as you'll have the most room here and be able to see what's going on the best.

Pop off the black headlight cover (it's kept on by two clips). Now you can see your bulb sitting in the headlight with the black OEM connection running from it, out of sight. When you have everything fitted you'll need to connect the two spade connections running from the HID to this. Also running from your HIDs there will be two other wires with a rubber grommet along the way.

This grommet is to sit in a 25mm hole you have to drill in the black headlight cover. The wires then run into your engine bay and are connected to the ballast. It might be worth trying to connect everything together away from the car to get an idea in your head how it will all sit when fitted.

The halogen bulbs are held in place by one of the most badly designed, fiddely things I've ever had the misfortune of coming across. Once you figure out how to pop this off, you can take the bulb out and disconnect it from the spade connections mentioned earlier.

At this stage you might want to wire everything up for a test run to make sure the kit is working.

If you don't have a 25mm bit lying about, you can do what I did and make do by drilling lots of small holes to a rough hole 25mm in diameter..

Pop the wires through the hole and fix the grommet. Now you have the fun task of trying to get the HID bulbs in place with the headlight cover attached.. Top tip is the bulbs can only go in one way. You may have to rotate them until you feel them sitting in properly. Visually check through the lens to be sure.

Once you've managed that, connect the spade connections to the OEM connections, pop the headlight cover on, connect the ballast and double check everything is working again as some of the components are quite susceptible to damage (I had to re-crimp two of my spade connectors).

On the driver side some people like to hide the ballast under the waterpump, but I never bothered as the only time I have the hood up is to check fluid levels.. So anywhere secure and away from extreme heat is fine.

Repeat for the passenger side. You'll want to remove the battery cover this time to give yourself room (some people even remove the battery). There's a little shelf right underneath the cover this time that you can fit your ballast on too :)

There's probably better ways of doing it all, but that worked for me

Nice one cheers for the heads up, will let you know how i get on.

wazzzer

Mar 18, 2010
halstead essex
when i did mine i had to drill holes in the covers that clip onto the back of the lamps to run the cables to the ballasts outside the lamps,i then cable tied my ballasts around my cold air feed pipe on the left,and the washer bottle on the left.seem to be all ok and perfectly secure

Nice one cheers mate

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
planning is the key, then preperation. zipper clips are ok, but i would suggest that you take the covers off the back of the head lights, take then in doors, plan where you will make the hole for the cables to run through.

then make sure before you drill that you have sufficient space to mount the ballast on the back of the cover based on where you are thinking of drilling.

then drill your main hole for the cables, then mount your ballasts on the back of the covers with 10mm taper screws, 2 screws will be sufficient to hold the ballast

then pull the wiring through the ballast and finally take the finished covers to you motor.

remove the battery to give you space.

install the bulb 1st then replace the cover

complete both sides and replace the battery

tip. make sure you dont mount the ballast in the way of the rear cover clips!!!!

its not that difficult dude, just looks damn difficult, but its a peice of cake.

good luck

wazzzer

Mar 18, 2010
halstead essex
planning is the key, then preperation. zipper clips are ok, but i would suggest that you take the covers off the back of the head lights, take then in doors, plan where you will make the hole for the cables to run through.

then make sure before you drill that you have sufficient space to mount the ballast on the back of the cover based on where you are thinking of drilling.

then drill your main hole for the cables, then mount your ballasts on the back of the covers with 10mm taper screws, 2 screws will be sufficient to hold the ballast

then pull the wiring through the ballast and finally take the finished covers to you motor.

remove the battery to give you space.

install the bulb 1st then replace the cover

complete both sides and replace the battery

tip. make sure you dont mount the ballast in the way of the rear cover clips!!!!

its not that difficult dude, just looks damn difficult, but its a peice of cake.

good luck

Nice one cheers for the advice, will let you know how i get on.

wazzzer

Mar 18, 2010
halstead essex
Followed your instructions Bash29, they were spot on all done in under an hour thanks.Just gotta wait for it to get dark to check em out.

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
no problems, i got alot of help from here, especially gaz

sorry about pics, i didnt get time, working weekends.

you will be very happy with the results, i was driving my work van last night and realised that the down side to having brilliant lighting in my lcr meant

it became more visible that i had crap lighting in my van.

wazzzer

Mar 18, 2010
halstead essex
no problems, i got alot of help from here, especially gaz

sorry about pics, i didnt get time, working weekends.

you will be very happy with the results, i was driving my work van last night and realised that the down side to having brilliant lighting in my lcr meant

it became more visible that i had crap lighting in my van.

Went out for a drive last night, well impressed with them. Just gotta change my other bulbs now as they look odd against them, have you changed yours? If so what did you get?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.