Oil...What to use in your TDI

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
im looking at a cheap oil & filter change by national tyres (£33) for our TDI fr pd130

national tyres are recommending:

castrol edge 5w-30

whereas i think it should be 5w-40 deisel turbo (505.01) for fixed interval servicing which this car is

see here for castrol info

what do you think?

gingerben

Jan 1, 2008
Hiya opie,

Stuck on oil choice and service due soon, am a fan of mobil 1 esp, but now have a pd150 and for last to services have used Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40, oil gets changed every 5000 miles what would you use mobil or castol, or somethink elce.

All the best
ben

p.s Engine gets a good work out, Very regularly :)

Last edited:

kev11

Hi,
I also have the ibiza TDi FR PD130 2004,
a bit confused if I should use 5W30 (as recommended on all websites, halfrauds, eruocarparts, castrol) or 5W40 which is 505 01?? Thank you:help::help:

I'm not sure if my car has a DPF?? how can i find out?? thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Your car can use a 5w-30 VW507.00 spec oil or a 5w-40 505.01 oil as it doesn't have a DPF (to my knowledge, it's too early for a Seat to have a DPF). What those sites are doing is recommendind the latest spec on the basis that it's also fine for earlier cars, and yes that's fine to do, but if the car gets harder than normal use, I'd go for the 505.01 oils as they are a little thicker.

Cheers

Tim

kev11

Your car can use a 5w-30 VW507.00 spec oil or a 5w-40 505.01 oil as it doesn't have a DPF (to my knowledge, it's too early for a Seat to have a DPF). What those sites are doing is recommendind the latest spec on the basis that it's also fine for earlier cars, and yes that's fine to do, but if the car gets harder than normal use, I'd go for the 505.01 oils as they are a little thicker.

Cheers

Tim

Cheers Tim, i'm gonna go for the 5w40 castrol edge.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
just done a service using Castrol Edge 5W-30 but i first used Forte Diesel Engine Flush which is class:D the Leon TDI 150 (ARL) has done 49k, Question is with me doing only 3k a year would you still change the oil every 12 months and would you use a Engine flush every time? this is my first Diesel as i did the oil changes on my old car every 12 months which was Petrol.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
just done a service using Castrol Edge 5W-30 but i first used Forte Diesel Engine Flush which is class:D the Leon TDI 150 (ARL) has done 49k, Question is with me doing only 3k a year would you still change the oil every 12 months and would you use a Engine flush every time? this is my first Diesel as i did the oil changes on my old car every 12 months which was Petrol.

Only 3k miles a year? I would suggest that at least once a month you drive far enough/long enough to get the engine good and hot, so that any moisture that condenses in the engine will boil out of the oil. 30 miles or so ought to be enough. But this is necessary for any car which is used for short commutes, where the engine normally doesn't get very hot for very long.

Then, I think changing the oil every 2 years ought to be fine. The oil is not going to wear out sitting in the sump, or accumulate any impurities, or change viscosities.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Good to no , i only flushed it due to not knowing which grade off oil was used before at seat , they may of used 5-40 , one seat garage said 10-40 was used which i thought was odd.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Does anyone know who Manufaturers Quantum Oils on behalf of VW Group ?

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 Diesel for many years in my 110BHP TDI non PD that requires 505.00, the main reason is to protect the Turbo bearing ASAP in mid winter on Emergency response calls.

I have been offered some Quantum 5W-30 Longlife III. Is This a suitable oil in the same league of Mobil 1 ?
Is VW 507 for Diesels ?

Do VW add additives to the base oil to make it up to their spec ?

Paul

oilman

Forum Sponsor
I think Castrol/BP might make the Quantum, but don't assume it's as good as one of their own oils. All of the own brand oils are made by one of the big manufacturers to a reduced budget. It means the oil is fairly cheap (sometimes), but it's also lower quality than the branded stuff.

505.00 isn't a massively hard spec to meet. It has to be a decent oil, but not as fussy as things like the 507.00. If you want the best cold start protection, use a 5w-40 ester based synthetic. Although the 0w-40 Mobil will flow a little quicker, the ester content of the top 5w-40 oils means that there is already a layer of oil in place, so it's protected from the moment the engine starts working (like in the Castrol Magnatec adverts, but it's a lot better at it than the Castrol). The one's I'd consider are the Fuchs Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline, Millers CFS and Gulf Competition.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40-engine-oil.aspx

Guy, the other Oilman on here, uses the Pro S in his PD engined Leon (which is harder on the oil than the non-pd diesels) and the other oils I mentioned are on a par with the Pro S. At the moment, with the price of the Gulf, I'd go for that. Although those oils do not officially meet the VW specs, unofficially they far exceed 505.00 and 505.01.

Cheers

Tim

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.