Tailgate Spoiler fitting...

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Hi All,

I have looked at several threads on this site that discuss adding a rear spoiler (official SEAT accessory) to the tailgate, and I know the spoiler is bonded to the tailgate with glue. So far so good! lol

What I am still unclear on is exactly what is involved in fixing the spoiler to the tailgate. Let me explain...

What I am not clear on is do you have to remove the top housing that contains the high-level brake light before gluing the spoiler to the tailgate, or does the spoiler glue to the top housing? I suspect it is the latter.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did do a quick forum search and didn't find an answer to this.

Really want to get this done to my car as I really think it finishes off the rear of the car nicely!

Has there been a "how to" guide produced for this? Didn't see one in the FAQ section...

Thanks in anticipation. :)

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
It might be different on a 5 door, but on the 3 door you just glue the spoiler on, no need to remove the brake light or anything, and everyone here seems to recommend you use windscreen bond instead of the glue that comes with the spoiler as it takes a very long time to set.

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
You just apply some window bond to the spoiler and mate it up to the boot lid, wait for the bonder to harden and thats it. Try not to get the bonder wet though if if its raining. I can do a How to when I'm doing mine, which should have been at the weekend there only the paint was a shade out and needs repainted :(

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
You just apply some window bond to the spoiler and mate it up to the boot lid, wait for the bonder to harden and thats it. Try not to get the bonder wet though if if its raining. I can do a How to when I'm doing mine, which should have been at the weekend there only the paint was a shade out and needs repainted :(

Yeah, window bonder seems to be the weapon of choice on here!

That would be great if you could do a "How To"!!! Would be a definite sticky in the FAQ section IMHO. :)

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Doesn't a "how-to" come in the box, with the spoiler, called "instructions" ?

Mine didn't come in a box.... hence why I got it at half price ;) but yeah there probably is lol to be honest you shouldn't really need one and all I'd be doing is putting up about 2 or 3 photo's

Should be as simple as

1) clean the surface

2) apply bonder to the back of the spoiler

3) hold in place using tape ensuring its even at both ends while the bonder sets

4) wait an hour or two and remove the tape

job done!

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
:)
Doesn't a "how-to" come in the box, with the spoiler, called "instructions" ?

Oh ya cheeky wee monkey! :lol: Errr...actually if that's a Baboon avatar you have matey, you'd be a cheeky BIG monkey!

Seriously though, big respect Nightflight. That was a quality reply! I will take that one squarely on the chin! ;)

Being serious for a moment the "how to" guides are also good for folk like me that like to "look before they leap" as I'll probably fit the spoiler myself if it's straight forward.

I think we have all seen the patchy standard of the SEAT Owner's Manual to know that SEAT's instructions have the potential to be totally pants, so I'd prefer to see a guide written by a native English speaker backed up by real world experience of the install. Especially important as we are taking about a fair amount of money for the kit... :)

The FAQ sub forum has "how to" guides for stuff that's covered in the Owner's Manual, so I guess some folk out there must think like me.... God, what an awful thought! lol

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
:)

In all fairness, it is as simple as Gaz has pointed out.

0. practice practice practice offering the spoiler up to the car. you don't want to be messing about getting te positioning right when it's covered in glue, it'll make a mess, once you can do it first time, every time, proceed
1. Clean surfaces with white spirit and a lint free cloth (give your car a wash but not wax or polish first.. you'll want to enjoy how much better it looks once the spoiler is fitted, mucky car will dampen the moment)
2. Put the sticky pads in the sticky pad shaped recesses and expose the sticky side (it's fiddly, you don't want to be faffing about with it whilst the glue is setting later
3. Use tigerflex or similar (don't bother with the glue that coems with as its crap and usually already gone of if mine and others experiences are the norm) applied in blobs the size of a small grape about 0.5cm apart all the way round the edge of the spoiler, there's a recessed section around the edge, thats where you put the glue in.
4. stick spoiler onto car
5. use masking tape or similar to hold it in place for a few hours (you'll probably want a mate to help hold the spoiler whilst you tape it on... actually, have a mate around for step 4 too, probably be easier, esp with a 3dr)
6. wait a few hours
7. remove tape and enjoy your car looking how it should've done from the factory

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
And for anybody interested in a cheap BNIB spoiler (part no. 6J3071650) for a 3 door Mk5 beeth I just spotted one on ebay for £40 + P&P ;) Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-IBIZA-SC-REAR-SPOILER-BNIB-/220846114742?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336b7447b6

Thanks Nightflight, I appreciate the info!

And Gaz thanks with the assist re the eBay item. Just placed a bid on it! Will see if it ends up a bargain or someone bids silly money for it! lol

The part number on the eBay item is the same as the on-line catalogue part number on the SEAT website, so there's hopefully no problem! :)

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Doesn't curve down at the ends, or is it just an optical illusion :shrug:

The cut out is wrong too, doesn't look like the one below, is it an ecomotive spoiler?
16.jpg

Borrowed Elliot29's piccy :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.