Tailgate Spoiler fitting...

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Well that's me won the auction! £77 delivered! Not a bad price I think. Pretty confident it's the correct part so now can't wait to get it delivered, painted and bolted to me wagon!

Cheers Gaz and the rest of you for your help. Will keep you posted and will upload a pic when done. ;)

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Well that's me won the auction! £77 delivered! Not a bad price I think. Pretty confident it's the correct part so now can't wait to get it delivered, painted and bolted to me wagon!

Cheers Gaz and the rest of you for your help. Will keep you posted and will upload a pic when done. ;)

No probs Dave, get pics up once you've got it fitted :thumbup:

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Spoiler arrived today and have just unpacked it - "Brand New In Box" is definitely an apt description! It's definitely the right part and came in original box with all the relevant paperwork and fitting accessories (glue, adhesive pads etc).

I'm well-pleased!

Just have to get it painted now....

GazEP3

Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Spoiler arrived today and have just unpacked it - "Brand New In Box" is definitely an apt description! It's definitely the right part and came in original box with all the relevant paperwork and fitting accessories (glue, adhesive pads etc).

I'm well-pleased!

Just have to get it painted now....

Happy days mate :D I wouldn't bother with the glue they supply though, use window bond instead its much stronger

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
OK just been to W Livingstone for a quote to spray and fit the spoiler... Had an interesting conversation with Sandy the Service Manager.

Basically he says that the preferred weapon of choice re sticking the spoiler to the car is the adhesive Seat supplies with the spoiler. He says wndow bond sometimes fails with the result that you see your beloved spoiler tumbling down the road behind you from your rear view mirror. Hmmm.... Possibly Sandy is just towing the company line on this???

As for the quote to spray the Spoiler, that came in at £180 for spray only, and an extra 30 quid on top of that if I opt for them to fit it.

As usual all comments welcome... ;)

Will get a couple of other quotes before taking the plunge though...

Any more suggestions as to good spray shops?

Feb 8, 2011
£180 sounds a lot. A small portion of the paintwork on the integrated spoiler on my 5 door was damaged (no one can guess what happened) and a local coachwork firm did it for £78, labour and materials. They did the whole spoiler, primer, colour coat and lacquer. Looks fine to me and they were recommended.

South Devon is a tad far for you I suspect. 340 miles only gets me as far as the Lake District!

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
£180 sounds a lot. A small portion of the paintwork on the integrated spoiler on my 5 door was damaged (no one can guess what happened) and a local coachwork firm did it for £78, labour and materials. They did the whole spoiler, primer, colour coat and lacquer. Looks fine to me and they were recommended.

South Devon is a tad far for you I suspect. 340 miles only gets me as far as the Lake District!

LOL Well that's a difference of £142 if I got your coachbuilder to do it! That would pay the diesel for the journey, probably put me up at the local campsite for a couple of days and I'd get a wee mini holiday into the bargain! You never know, I may be asking you for the phone number of that sprayshop! :cartman:

GazEP3

Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
What??? £180 to paint and fit a tiny spoiler?? They're having a laugh!! Mine's only £60 including fitting!! Go to a private bodyshop, don't just give them the colour code though as there are about 4 or 5 shades of Candy white used within the VAG range.

As for window bond failing and your spoiler bouncing down the road behind you, that is total bollox! Put it this way, to get a spoiler that has been fitted with window bond off you have to cut it off with cheesewire. Window bond is designed to hold one of the most important parts of a cars structural rigidity in place....your windscreen! And he reckons it couldn't hold a tiny wee spoiler on?? lol twat! My Mugen spoiler on my old EP3 was much bigger and heavier and was held on with window bond, never shifted!!

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
What??? £180 to paint and fit a tiny spoiler?? They're having a laugh!! Mine's only £60 including fitting!! Go to a private bodyshop, don't just give them the colour code though as there are about 4 or 5 shades of Candy white used within the VAG range.

As for window bond failing and your spoiler bouncing down the road behind you, that is total bollox! Put it this way, to get a spoiler that has been fitted with window bond off you have to cut it off with cheesewire. Window bond is designed to hold one of the most important parts of a cars structural rigidity in place....your windscreen! And he reckons it couldn't hold a tiny wee spoiler on?? lol twat! My Mugen spoiler on my old EP3 was much bigger and heavier and was held on with window bond, never shifted!!

LOL well that'll be your Irish temperament showing then? ;) Actually I'm allowed to say that with a wink and a twinkle in my eye as until I was 9 years old I stayed in a small village just outside Lurgan, Co Armagh! Half-Irish, me! I still say I left my heart there when we moved to Scotland!

Anyhoo there's no way I was going to be parting with that sort of money (part Irish, part canny Scott! lol) so I'm going to be trying some spray shops/ coachbuilders locally as well as Agmors in Glasgow and see what their quotes come in at. :)

I'm also with you with regards to the window bond. I wouldn't have a problem with it being used to stick the spoiler to my car.

I was actually amazed that I managed to keep a poker face when Sandy told me the price. He said it would take 5 hours labour, 4 of which were to spray it!!! :-o It's already flipping primered!!! I said I'd get back to him! lol TBH I think the price was so high as they didn't want to take on a wee job, and if I was mad enough to agree they'd be laughing all the way to the bank with the massive profit they'd made...

Fear not, I might be mildly deranged, but I'm not raving mad mad! lol :funk:

Last edited:

GazEP3

Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
LOL well that'll be your Irish temperament showing then? ;) Actually I'm allowed to say that with a wink and a twinkle in my eye as until I was 9 years old I stayed in a small village just outside Lurgan, Co Armagh! Half-Irish, me! I still say I left my heart there when we moved to Scotland!

Anyhoo there's no way I was going to be parting with that sort of money (part Irish, part canny Scott! lol) so I'm going to be trying some spray shops/ coachbuilders locally as well as Agmors in Glasgow and see what their quotes come in at. :)

I'm also with you with regards to the window bond. I wouldn't have a problem with it being used to stick the spoiler to my car.

I was actually amazed that I managed to keep a poker face when Sandy told me the price. He said it would take 5 hours labour, 4 of which were to spray it!!! :-o It's already flipping primered!!! I said I'd get back to him! lol TBH I think the price was so high as they didn't want to take on a wee job, and if I was mad enough to agree they'd be laughing all the way to the bank with the massive profit they'd made...

Fear not, I might be mildly deranged, but I'm not raving mad mad! lol :funk:

Yeah I do have a bit of a short fuse sometimes :lol: particularly towards rip off merchants lol Dollingstown or Waringstown per chance? 4 hours to spray it my arse lol does take about an hour for the bonder to cure though so at least they got one thing right :p Hell you could actually post it to me, get my mate to spray it and post it back to you for less than they're looking lol scandalous!

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Yeah I do have a bit of a short fuse sometimes :lol: particularly towards rip off merchants lol Dollingstown or Waringstown per chance? 4 hours to spray it my arse lol does take about an hour for the bonder to cure though so at least they got one thing right :p Hell you could actually post it to me, get my mate to spray it and post it back to you for less than they're looking lol scandalous!

Cheers for the friend request, Gaz! Hopefully I have added you OK... If not feel free to hurl abuse in my general direction! ;)

Yep you were right second guess - I lived in Waringstown. Mill Hill to be exact! :)

I'll try a few local spray shops and see how I get on. Around the £80-100 mark seems reasonbable to pay, I think....

Last edited:

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Totally off topic but you weren't far from me - I lived near Banbridge, though I'm in Dublin for the foreseeable future :(

Dublin is a nice place too. I visited there a good few years back when taking part in a motorcycle rally. Think the club hosting it was the Dublin Motorcycle Riders Touring Club? I may have got the name slightly wrong! Anyway it's a lovely part of the country, though my heart still lies in the north! ;)

Yeah from memory Banbridge isn't too far away from Waringstown! All the memories are coming flooding back now! :)

GazEP3

Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Cheers for the friend request, Gaz! Hopefully I have added you OK... If not feel free to hurl abuse in my general direction! ;)

Yep you were right second guess - I lived in Waringstown. Mill Hill to be exact! :)

I'll try a few local spray shops and see how I get on. Around the £80-100 mark seems reasonbable to pay, I think....

I've friends from Waringstown although you maybe wouldn't know them. Yeah, wouldn't want to pay more than £100 for a spoiler that size. My Mugen spoiler on my old civic which was quite big cost £100 to paint. You could fit it yourself it's a piece of piss really

And yeah you added me ok lol

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
I've friends from Waringstown although you maybe wouldn't know them. Yeah, wouldn't want to pay more than £100 for a spoiler that size. My Mugen spoiler on my old civic which was quite big cost £100 to paint. You could fit it yourself it's a piece of piss really

And yeah you added me ok lol

It's YEARS ago since I left Ireland - will be almost 40 years since I'm an old codger at 48 now! lol Don't feel it mind you ;)

Your friends will probably not know me, but their parents or relatives might! lol I will ask my mother as she has an excellent memory and will give you some names. I have a memory that a Goldfish would be ashamed of! :p

I'm getting itchy feet about this spoiler malarkey, will be getting my skates on and will have more quotes by the end of the week hopefully. Just want to get the job done now!

GazEP3

Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Ah right ok lol

Yeah likewise, mine's back in the bodyshop getting resprayed. Shade was wrong the first time. Glad I'm only paying for it once lol Getting very impatient though as he's had it for almost 2 months now :( he's a pain to get hold of

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Well this isn't as easy as I'd thought it'd be!

So far have had one sky-high quote (from the local Seat dealer) and also 2 other local spray shops have looked at the job. One turned it down as it was "too small a job" for them and the other hasn't got back with a quote so far (waited 2 days).

Obviously the recession hasn’t hit the car painting trade!!!! :p

Not giving up though! More to try, but have been slowed down by family issues...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.