What droplinks?

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
Fitted my car with some Prosport coilovers there the other day. The kit came with slightly shorter droplinks however they are still too long as they catch on the drive of the car.

Just wondering where everybody else has gotten shorter droplinks and a rough idea on price. Are the droplinks on any OEM car shorter than those on the 1.2 Ibiza?

Will upload pics of the droplinks in question tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
IIRC it was Ford PUMA droplinks that everyone used to fit - they are about an inch shorter than Ibiza ones.

Cheers, will have to take out my droplinks and measure them and see how much shorter they need to be. My new droplinks are about an inch shorter than standard. Will have to get a tape out and get exact sizes of them. Hoping your right as a cousin of mine is parts manager of a ford dealer and would get them at cost price.

Anybody else able to confirm this or offer other suggestions?

barney501

1/4 mile - 14.75 @ 92.84
Oct 8, 2009
Bath
Ive got FK sport edition + coilovers on mine and im using ford PUMA droplinks as well. Only cost about £12 if i remember correctly. If my memory serves me correctly i think they are 165mm between centres. Maybe wrong but for some reason that sticks in my head.

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
I bought a pair of puma droplinks there after today and fitted them. Afraid no joy out of them either as the ARB is still rubbing off the drive. Anybody got other suggestions? Would rather avoid adjustable droplinks due to their price.

Weedall

Ko4 = fun
Apr 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
I dont have personal experience with this so cant help with which one to get but i know people have needed uprated ARB's and/or chassis notching to get the lows they want.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I bought a pair of puma droplinks there after today and fitted them. Afraid no joy out of them either as the ARB is still rubbing off the drive. Anybody got other suggestions? Would rather avoid adjustable droplinks due to their price.

I wonder why the manufacturers of coilovers feel the need to lower the droplink mount by so much and not provide the new links in the kit.

I would be getting on to the supplier and asking for a recommended drop link.

If they cant suggest or provide one then I would be asking for a refund based on the units not being fit for purpose. ( ARB touching driveshaft is MOT fail )

EDIT - Pro sport do the adjustable links at around £26 - http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-manranges.asp?code=5

Last edited:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
how do you know if your arb hits the driveshaft?
do they physically not fit or do you hear/feel when driving?
I bought droplinks off of awesome which stated they were for lowered cars. not fitting the coilover until the better weather.

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
how do you know if your arb hits the driveshaft?
do they physically not fit or do you hear/feel when driving?
I bought droplinks off of awesome which stated they were for lowered cars. not fitting the coilover until the better weather.

Basically the Driveshaft is acting like a lathe on the ARB. It has flaked the paint off the drive and has shaved a little steel off the ARB. But the most telling sign is a loud squealing noise and also a vibration in the steering wheel.

Heres a pic as an example of what was happening:
Three.jpg

Iv actually sorted it myself. Well I think so. You know the way that they come with holes on both side plates on the shock? Instead of putting the link in the side closest the front I put it in the other side. It gives me about 2 inches of clearance on the drive which is exactly what I need. Weather its a MOT failure I dont know but its due at the end of the month so ill soon find out.

Drove about 60 miles today and seems to work fine. Not sure if its a long term solution but its better than the squealing :)

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
Cheap set of JOMs so i doubt they do, saw the JOM shortened droplinks at £40 so no thanks

Think JOM and FK are very similar. In that case you will probably need shorter ones. If you look up near the top of this thread somebody said they used puma droplinks on JOM's. Theres a ebay link to get them for about a tenner :)

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Think JOM and FK are very similar. In that case you will probably need shorter ones. If you look up near the top of this thread somebody said they used puma droplinks on JOM's. Theres a ebay link to get them for about a tenner :)

I will see if these ones i have fit first and then if not yea i will do that!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.