Is 38 MPG normal for 2.0 TDI (140 bhp)?

Wheakau

I have my 2007 Leon for 4 months now and I cannot manage lower MPG than 38 on mixed regime.
I know that officially they say it should be around 53 mpg. That is too optimistic no doubt. Still 38 seems quite a lot to me.
I wonder what kind of mpg people usually get with 2.0 TDI.

I drive about 70km daily, 50/50 highway and city.

Thanks in advance!

Wheakau

Thanks for feedback! Wow that is bad news indeed.

What could be causing this terrible fuel consumption then?

The car was fully serviced and seems to be running great.

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
I had a pd140 and I'd say that's about right for a half and half mix of rural and motorway. I used to do 80 miles a day to work and back and it was mostly motorway and I would usually get between 45-52 depending on how late I was ;) haha

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Wheakau

Very interesting observations right here.

It would seem that CR170 engines have better fuel economy than PD140.. Does this make sense??

Have you guys done any remapping or such?

Dsgfr11

Mar 30, 2012
Northamptonshire
Very interesting observations right here.

It would seem that CR170 engines have better fuel economy than PD140.. Does this make sense??

Have you guys done any remapping or such?

No mine is standard engine wise. The cr is smoother to drive than the pd which feels punchier lower down, maybe that's something to do with it?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The single biggest factor to MPG is the driver.

My experience is that you need to keep the engine revs at 1800 to get the best MPG. For example driving in 6th at 50MPH will not do your figures any good because the revs are too low. 1800RPM is the sweet spot for these engines.

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Might explain by by Supercopa's MPG is terrible. I had previously blamed only doing town driving.

Wheakau

The single biggest factor to MPG is the driver.

My experience is that you need to keep the engine revs at 1800 to get the best MPG. For example driving in 6th at 50MPH will not do your figures any good because the revs are too low. 1800RPM is the sweet spot for these engines.

Dammit! You are completely right. And on this point I have to mention how stupid I am not bringing up the fact that I have a DSG in the original post [B)]

I do find the car under-revving many times actually. I think I'll switch to manual mode for a month and see if that makes a difference.

Reading in the forum I see that PD engines are indeed more thirsty than CR.
Very slightly I have to say but perhaps with the DSG it does make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
i also find myself my pd170 is only doing about 39mpg driving like a granny which is kind of disappointing as one of the factors that appealled to me about the tdi fr was the fuel economy coming from a petrol!
iv been working it out by resetting the reader when the light comes on and then filling £25 and taking a reading when the light comes back on again, this may not be accurate though as im sure you guys notice yourself if your going at 70mph your light will come on but if you then drop to around 50mph it may turn off again
i would ideally like to be getting 45mpg+ from the car as i am trying to drive as economical as possible for my commuting to work
iv filled right up to the top with £65 fuel so im hoping to get about 470 miles if i can hit 45mpg

Last edited:
I have a 140CR B6 Passat and on the same 100mi round trip commute to work can achieve 62mpg (being as frugal as possible)

In my PD170 Leon FR I only manage a max of 57mpg (again being as frugal as possible)

As Nath mentioned this is usually in flowing traffic doing 50-60mph the whole distance. Oddly if I leave earlier and the motorway is empty and I do 70mph I can only generally achieve ~50mpg. So even just a 10mph difference can make a dramatic change!

[EDIT]
The day my wife called to say she was in Labour I managed 38mpg on the same trip...
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
470miles on a full tank is approx 38-39mpg
550miles on a full tank is more like around 45mpg mate

yea sorry should have mentioned the tank wasnt empty and i didnt fill it completely to the top, i based that on £65 i purchased

Wheakau

I have a 140CR B6 Passat and on the same 100mi round trip commute to work can achieve 62mpg (being as frugal as possible)

In my PD170 Leon FR I only manage a max of 57mpg (again being as frugal as possible)

As Nath mentioned this is usually in flowing traffic doing 50-60mph the whole distance. Oddly if I leave earlier and the motorway is empty and I do 70mph I can only generally achieve ~50mpg. So even just a 10mph difference can make a dramatic change!

[EDIT]
The day my wife called to say she was in Labour I managed 38mpg on the same trip...
[/EDIT]

WOW! 50mpg with 170PD engine is still much better than my 38mpg! Cannot imagine that DSG would make soo much difference..

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I have to mention how stupid I am not bringing up the fact that I have a DSG in the original post [B)]

I do find the car under-revving many times actually. I think I'll switch to manual mode for a month and see if that makes a difference.

Mines a standard PD140 DSG, always returns 48 mpg in M mode, i normally change up between 1800/2000rpm, 46mpg in D...

Hope this helps...

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
I tried this whole 1800rpm thing on the way home and yes im new to diesels so it is a dofferent driving style but to be honest this felt too high in the rev range to be getting good mpg?? That would be like me driving around at 4500 in my honda and the mpg would be awful
I can feel at 1800 its good as you have it at the point for instant power so light tapping of the throttle will maintain speed but it seems like being at 1800 and not on the throttle it is high enough to actually have the engine slow your car down??

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.