Installing LED footwells (A sort of guide)

Rob_Talisman

MKII CR FR 170 FL Stage 2
Sep 2, 2013
North East
to be honest i found it easier to disconnect the cable connector at the back of the switch and then split the cable make your connections and then plug it back in, instead of pulling the switch out.

Rob_Talisman

Sep 2, 2013
North East
There you go rob your reel all ready wired up.

8umanejy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
2 separate circuits are perfectly ok.

Remember the draw will be from totally different sources.

One from the headlight swich (for the door pocket lights)

One from the top interior light for the footwells in door open. Easy stuff. A master rocker swich for both setups could be beneficial for low profile mode.

I do wonder though how many leds can you jack onto a source before it blows the fuse or just stops working? Not that im decorating my car like a Xmas tree.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
thanks for this how to , i was wondering how to get the switch out & how the wiring was , i am in the middle of a W8 light mod once its all in pix to follow

MM

This is exactly what i have already done, drilled two holes in the centre main light with led downlighting when the sidelights come on. I removed the centre light to fix a rattle and desroyed my led bulb so that the contact point severed at the bulb..... Fail.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Rob_Talisman

Sep 2, 2013
North East
Got my reel of white leds now.

guhezygy.jpg

Need to find the interior light cable and a way of placing a strip under each door.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Got my reel of white leds now.

guhezygy.jpg

Need to find the interior light cable and a way of placing a strip under each door.

Could you get some pictures and a little guide while you do this? Sounds like fun lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Robbo-K1

Oct 18, 2013
Hull
Oooo the white LED's look good mate! Can see me coming back across to Grimsby, if I do...i'll pay for that reel this time!

I popped across to see Rob last week, awesome guy and very helpful!
Got all my red footwell led's in, and working a treat, quality job done and I'm really pleased with the result. Also, played with Vagcom whilst I was there too, so pleased with that aswell! Happy days :D

Hopefully, Rob will be able to upload the picture he took? As I havnt been taken one myself yet haha.

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH
Hi jimbobcook,
Foot wells look ace mate [B)] may look at doing this in my k1!

Just wondering tho could u tell me where u ordered the interior light led pack for mk2 leon from please?
Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Cannot find a power cable that is live when door opens n then fades off. Its daft.

That's a bit pants! So that ones a no go then...

Hi jimbobcook,
Foot wells look ace mate [B)] may look at doing this in my k1!

Just wondering tho could u tell me where u ordered the interior light led pack for mk2 leon from please?
Cheers

I got all my stuff from partsulike.co.uk I think is the address... Email the guy there called Dave and he will sort you out :)

Last edited:

Rob_Talisman

Sep 2, 2013
North East

On hold. Cant understand the front interior lights. 3 cables to it. Blue/RedBlack/Brown

With lights off Brown is 0 volts (earth) and both the others are 12v. With lights on the Blue goes to millivolts the other stays at 12v (perm live)

Id expect ghe blue to work the other way round n it would be easy. So i dont get that at all.

ADzABOUT

Jan 26, 2010
NEAR NORWICH

I got all my stuff from partsulike.co.uk I think is the address... Email the guy there called Dave and he will sort you out :)

Ok cool thanks mate I'll check out the site and get ordering :D

Keep up the good work on ur car and I'll be back at some point to use ur guide so much appreciated bud ;)

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
thanks for the wire colour advice , just put these in if any with a early leon or a mk4 golf you will know about the W8 light mod , this uses LED that have a lens so the beam is focused down into the foot well rather than in all directions , a few more pix on my build thread in a bit

url=https://flic.kr/p/mst2qZ]
13426637093_c5f6f53626.jpg
[/url]