Mirror Link Activation

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
hello.

is it possible to activate using vcds 17.1.3?

as I'm ordering a new MY2018 Toledo and the dealer is playing hard ball over adding it to the car for free.

Smithcd

Apr 8, 2017
hello.

as I'm ordering a new MY2018 Toledo and the dealer is playing hard ball over adding it to the car for free.

I got mirrorlink added to my new Leon by Bristol Street Motors in Derby otherwise I was getting a Peugeot 308 with Apple CarPlay as standard... I'm glad they did it, I love the Seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
hello.

No it cant be done on VCDS.

it is also a chargeable thing so why would they give it for free?

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
No it cant be done on VCDS.

it is also a chargeable thing so why would they give it for free?

cause I'm spending a large amount of money.

is it just me but I remember the days of haggling the price on a new car.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
cause I'm spending a large amount of money.

is it just me but I remember the days of haggling the price on a new car.

Like trying to get blood from a stone you mean!

Days gone you could say for example thrown in some mudflaps and some floors mats.....and shake.

Online buying websites have changed that. I got mine from carwow.

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
I've got an April 2016 fr st with 6.5 screen. Dealer is quoting £200 to activate full link telling me it's a software update with live connection to seat database.

SeatMadSnapper

Jun 21, 2017
UK
Apple Carplay

Hello.

Just purchased a MK3 Leon ST FR Technology and the Full Link is available however not 'activated'. Contacted the dealer and informed that it's a £199 option to upgrade the software and replace USB slot with newer USB2/3. Apparently it takes over 3hrs to fit.

Question: I've played/used this feature in a loan Leon and enjoyed the functionality. Especially Spotify artwork and album navigation. The fact that iMessages are read out really impressed me. However, is this feature worth £199 and is it worth fitting to my 2015 Leon ST?

Still trying to justify it over the BT functionality. :-o

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
work it out. most garages these days charge £65+vat p/h for labour.

SEAT are supplying you with a new USB socket which IIRC is about £50, software update which takes 10 mins and in total roughly 3 hours labour.

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
Hello.

Just purchased a MK3 Leon ST FR Technology and the Full Link is available however not 'activated'. Contacted the dealer and informed that it's a £199 option to upgrade the software and replace USB slot with newer USB2/3. Apparently it takes over 3hrs to fit.

Question: I've played/used this feature in a loan Leon and enjoyed the functionality. Especially Spotify artwork and album navigation. The fact that iMessages are read out really impressed me. However, is this feature worth £199 and is it worth fitting to my 2015 Leon ST?

I'm also trying to justify it.

I mainly want to be able to stream video to the screen via youtube and files in the phone.

what can the stock BT do or stock usb connection?

Smithcd

Apr 8, 2017
Hello.

I wouldn't pay for it... all my music is off Apple Music subscription and I can't hear any difference over bt or CarPlay, also the ui is smoother to use than seat bt.

Apple maps is good for poi, none of my desired destinations are ever in the factory nav.

Messages is a nice thing to have but how often is a text really THAT important?

I don't think it is worth £199 but as I said earlier, I haggled it in, I figured things like that won't cost the garage that much to install

Smithcd

Apr 8, 2017

I mainly want to be able to stream video to the screen via youtube and files in the phone.

I can't stream video with full link off an iPhone. The only apps that work are messages, apple maps, music, podcasts and a couple of other music apps like Spotify. YouTube and videos won't stream...
but I only have the nav not the nav plus system

Last edited:

SeatMadSnapper

Jun 21, 2017
UK
work it out. most garages these days charge £65+vat p/h for labour.

SEAT are supplying you with a new USB socket which IIRC is about £50, software update which takes 10 mins and in total roughly 3 hours labour.

Fair point. I have booked the car in for the work, just couldn't haggle the price. I suppose there really isn't much to haggle down considering how much the labour costs.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

SeatMadSnapper

Jun 21, 2017
UK

Hmmm! That would be neat. I'm not sure Apple Carplay allows for YouTube videos etc. as there isn't a compatible YT authorised App. I suppose it would be counter intuitive for Apple. I wonder if the mirror link allows that functionality with Android devices!?

If I connect the Apple phone to the USB its states "Not compatible" - I figured this was why Seat replace the USB. :)

Thanks for the reply!

SeatMadSnapper

Jun 21, 2017
UK
Smithcd - Another good point. Do I need to text whilst driving? - Probably not. Is the call quality better with Apple Carplay vs. the BT?

Cheers

Smithcd

Apr 8, 2017
Smithcd - Another good point. Do I need to text whilst driving? - Probably not. Is the call quality better with Apple Carplay vs. the BT?

Cheers

Nope no difference in quality in my opinion, you do get Siri as the voice command which is sometimes easier to use. The Apple ui and the ease of accessing music is the best bit for me...

Android has far better access and use of the system than Apple who just want to control what you use... I only haggled the full link so I could have music and google maps... 1 out of 2 ain't bad, maybe google maps will be allowed at some point (Apple did block google maps off iOS for a time a few years ago around the launch of Apple maps)

SeatMadSnapper

Jun 21, 2017
UK
Nope no difference in quality in my opinion, you do get Siri as the voice command which is sometimes easier to use. The Apple ui and the ease of accessing music is the best bit for me...

Android has far better access and use of the system than Apple who just want to control what you use... I only haggled the full link so I could have music and google maps... 1 out of 2 ain't bad, maybe google maps will be allowed at some point (Apple did block google maps off iOS for a time a few years ago around the launch of Apple maps)

I like the Apple Carplay UI and as I am an avid Spotify user I love the fact I can thumb through my albums on my phone and see the artwork.

It would be nice if Google Maps worked on Carplay. HUMPH!

Well as I said I've booked the car in ... so I suspect I'll pay the £199, unless I feel the tug of guilt of spending that just to get an added extra. :rolleyes:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.