Uploading Speed Camera / POIs

Tell

Staff member
Edit (7th June 2018) [there is a solution see below and links] at the minute we have a handbrake turn at step 2 since VW have withdrawn the POI import page again - they have moved over to Carnet for the upload which isn't available with Seat and many VWs. I see others have nicked my text and published it elsewhere and it doesn't work now but haven't gone into the contingency testing as I outlined below if it happened again (which it has). I don't think it will come back this time so it's the contingency plan. I see the other boards aren't making progress :).

However the contingency plan is now working for me see post 10 or read on further for a tail of wow.

The Car-net method VW have moved to doesn't do the beeps on Poi's so it wouldn't be any good for safety cameras. Skoda is moving to the same approach also no beep.

The VW have a record of ditching the POI import software, they did it with the RNS510 leaving people stranded. They have stranded their own Mib2 customers without car-net now.

Have tested the Skoda import method, very slow and problematic and didn't work on the Mib2 High and that's with and without the directory copy business explained below, so wasn't that. It might work with a standard unit but I think the Skoda site is being thrashed by VW people with files of 40,000 Poi's or so. Not so sure whether it was my impatience to the browser pop ups. But clearly on 40,000 Poi's it doesn't work once you try it in your car. It can only be a matter of time before that one is pulled one suspects given that Skoda is moving to a carnet approach (& that is no good for speed cameras, mib2.5 dimension as well where apparently you can specify by POI in the car for alarm sounds) so better to go with something independently installed on your own equipment than a webpage that may be pulled at any moment. Did that but currently doesn't work, have emailed the developer.

A better night after midnight with Germans tucked up in bed so you get the hardware more to your self. On the Skoda site you toggle off after each one paints to the screen since that saves the geographical processing of the data for the purposes of showing it on the screen. Exported out ok. Gpx I was using for the the cameras. ASC it's fussy about. I see thou nobody or few has any luck with getting the raw output into VW hardware and the directory trick covered below doesn't work either. Suggestion that Skoda is not computing the checksums correctly. Got to get back up to speed again to check that one out. Did that and yes they have the poi checksum and filesize wrong on the Poi directory as one German poster said on a German board. Then you recalc these plus the Metafilechecksum. A few tricks... got to test it in the car thou... there still might be a problem but incorrect checksums will hang it.

Breakthrough with POI Inspector see post 10 below - that's for the MIB2 High, the MIB2 standard should be be fine. Need release 6.4 or above for the MIB2High to work.

----

Main text when it was working via the VW site

This covers how to upload speed / safety cameras and other POIs to the Seat Ateca navigation and abridged step for the Seat Navigation Plus is currently required related to a bug introduced by VW in 2017 on their web based process.

Circa February 2017 the VW site that can be used to import speed camera databases (safety cameras) from third parties plus other POIs into the Ateca navigation system became broken for the MIB2High unit (Navigation Plus). Skoda vehicles as well as VW cars were effected, all the MIB2 High units. There is a metainfo2.txt file that is held in the main uploaded directory which is incompatible with the Discovery Pro MIB2 unit. There is a simple workaround. A similar fix was used for the standard MIB2 units previously when VW messed up the software. The standard unit POI files are held in the MIB2TSD files if this ever becomes an issue. If this issue appears on the standard unit as it has done in the past a variation to this fix can be used.

The issue was reported in a couple of threads

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385044-poi/?page=5

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/181365-Custom-POI-s

There are two workarounds one is to use an existing version of the metainfo2.txt file if you have one (i.e. you have done the process before and saved the files generated), the second is to open up the folder generated and to copy out from the "MIB2HIGH" as covered by CBEE in the thread above.

1) Create and download the POI files as normal using the VW Navigation Website
2) Open the zip file and you will see a folder called "PersonalPOI" and a file called "metainfo2.txt", open the folder called "PersonalPOI"
3) Inside the folder will be 3 other folders called "MIB2DE", "MIB2HIGH" and MIB2TSD", open the "MIB2HIGH" folder for the Discover Pro
4) Inside the folder you will see the same "PersonalPOI" and "metainfo2.txt" files, copy these to the root of your SD card.
5) Stick SD card in car and away you go :)

Both work in the Ateca Navigation. You can use either an SD card or USB to copy the files into the unit.

SETTING UP SPEED CAMERA / OTHER POI DATABASE

The process of uploading speed camera to the Ateca Navigation unit, you first need to select your database of speed cameras, I use the subscription Pocket GPS World, GPX format taking four files from the database, fixed and mobile, UK and Europe wide in the type Other. They call it "single file" select UK and then Euro downloading two zip files that contain the four GPX files and four bit maps. Other services which are free are available, Poiplaza is one. The choice is yours in terms of which you think is the most up to date.

After downloading the files which generally consist of the data file and the bit map picture of the camera graphic these are uploaded into the German VW website, in German. However this link provides an excellent step by step work through of the process. Step 1 is for Australia getting your POI files, substitute by the above, then follow the steps, then at the end we have the wrinkle in copying across onto an SD or USB stick the file and enabling the Ateca unit to show

Follow Primordial's first post

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc

At step 2 you need the new VW link to call up the site that does the work
(not the one that was shown in the original Primordial instruction which no longer works due to VW changing their site around)

http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

Continue through the stages and repeat for additional speed cameras, make sure you click the "Annaherungs" to generate the sound for the cameras. Any other POIs can also be uploaded.

If using Pocket GPS World for the UK and European mainland for the fixed and mobile cameras the imported files within the VW software should look similar to this at the end of Step 5 with the sound marked up and the correct camera type showing:

SpD4a9m.jpg

Do Step 7 and stop

Step 8 is modified currently with the problematic VW website for those units effected.

New Step 8:

Extract the ZIP file to your SD Card or USB stick but with the modified procedure of CBEE mentioned above, extract onto a blank media. No other directories or files should be present on the SD card or stick else the import will not run.

A) Open the zip file and you will see a folder called "PersonalPOI" and a file called "metainfo2.txt", open the folder called "PersonalPOI"
B) Inside the folder will be 3 other folders called "MIB2DE", "MIB2HIGH" and MIB2TSD", open the "MIB2HIGH" folder for the Discover Pro
C) Inside the folder you will see the same "PersonalPOI" and "metainfo2.txt" files, copy these to the root of your SD card.
D) Stick SD card in car and away you go

The user POI database created by the VW site are imported onto the memory of the unit itself whether the maps are held on an SD card or SSD of the Plus unit.

As of June 2017, the situation is that the modified step is required for the Seat Navigation Plus unit which is "MIB2 High". The standard unit is currently un effected but as mentioned above previously the standard units were effected when the VW exported file site didn't work with the standard units. They seem to move this issue about possibly due to poor testing. Same fix would be required but on MIB2TSD directory. Worth noting.

Do Step 9, insert into unit.

Seat Step 10 as opposed to VW Discover System

A. Go into Navigation Setting, Manage Memory, with the SD / USB in the unit, tap Update My POIs (note no need to delete any previous users POIs they are always over-ridden during the update). Click Update my POIs. Next etc.

B. Under Navigation Announcement Settings, click "Note: My points of interest (POI)"

C. Map settings, Show POIs (click), Show Brand (Click), Select categories of POIs, click on the speed camera ones and any other users POIs so they display in the map

D. Test. The process can now be tested. Advanced settings, click Demo mode, enter start point of address to run the demo from, the other side of a known camera, now put in a destination that takes the unit in demo mode past the camera, you should see the camera on the screen and hear the audio warning. Stop route, top right of screen to exit, take off demo mode. Might also wish to do a long press on the left volume control for a reset to correct any zoom issue introduced by the demo mode.

Note steps 10 does not need to be repeated after any POI updates although (10D) can be done for checking.

Job done.

Last edited:

BigginJames

Nov 13, 2017
Selby
VW Site changed?

Hello Tell,

It appears that VW have updated their website and it now only seems to offer Car-Net functionality to send POI's over t'internet rather than generate a file to put on a card. Do you or anyone else know if it's still possible to create POI files compatible with the older VAG SatNavs? I really need my fish n chip shop POIs in our new Leon ST
:snack:

Tell

Staff member
Hello Tell,

It appears that VW have updated their website and it now only seems to offer Car-Net functionality to send POI's over t'internet rather than generate a file to put on a card. Do you or anyone else know if it's still possible to create POI files compatible with the older VAG SatNavs? I really need my fish n chip shop POIs in our new Leon ST
:snack:

James

I see right at the end of the Ozzie thread link that I posted above which annotates the process the solution was given (saved me a lot of effort), it's this link

http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

VW has done it in the past altered their links. I'll edit the post above to reflect it.

If they change the web address again a Google on "Hier können Sie Ihre eigenen POI-Listen-Sammlungen für das Discover Pro und Discover Media zusammenstellen." does a good job of finding it.

If this stops working can you post up then I'll get the email to look into it. I update my POIs every several months so things may slip through. I also keep all my destinations as POIs so if the car wipes them out or change cars I can just read them in and convert them back into destinations. You can also see your destinations on the map like any other common satnav :).

I gave the instructions of getting in destinations via POIs here and how to get them in off other stand alone satnavs or pointers. That's how I got mine in from Co-pilot now keep new destinations in sync with a user POI file in addition to the speed cameras.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438041

Thanks for pointing it out.

-------

As a footnote if VW pull that site completely there is a Skoda site that I haven't tried but should work in English

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs/ImportCollection

Previously success has been reported on the net with a standalone piece of software although it is said to be clunky, poinspect0r. The VAG imported database is a standard format.

http://poinspect0r.blogspot.co.uk/

Failing that SQLite.

So all is not lost if VW pull the plug on the site for good these can be looked at. I doubt they will thou, just shuffle it around periodically on their website.

Last edited:

BigginJames

Nov 13, 2017
Selby
Creation works; update to try this evening

Thank Tell,

The link to the VW site works. It's in post 53 in the thread on the Aussie Golf forum that gives the instructions for those of you that want to know.

w w w.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc&p=507615&viewfull=1#post507615

I'll check whether I can get the POIs into our 2015 Leon this evening.

James

Tell

Staff member
The previous VW link was working on 22nd September when I last did my POI files so the change slipped in just after looking at the Ozzie thread. I expect you won't have any problems unless VW shift the Metainfo2.txt file generation issue onto the standard unit which I covered above on how to work around it... they move this problem around. It still hadn't been fixed on the Mib2 High units in September so it has been like that since January. You will know if you have this issue since it won't recognise the import since the sla1 security signature isn't right but luckly for POI import you can work around that one covered in the text on post 1.

BigginJames

Nov 13, 2017
Selby
Personal POI Import - Success (of a kind)

Well, the import of the POIs was successful. Copied them in from a USB stick. My unit is a MIB2 Standard so I copied the corresponding PersonalPOI and metadata files to the root of the stick prior to importing. Not sure if the files as they were generated from the VW web tool would have worked without this moving because I didn't bother trying it - moving seemed a less troublesome option.

Now the problem I have is that the Garmin 'Favorites' POIs includes allsorts of apparent junk as well as the addresses we want. :thumbd: But I think that is a Garmin thing and nothing to do with the POI import. I need to spend a bit of time with a POI editor going through the GPX file to see what's in there.

Will also see if I can get phone numbers working direct from POIs.

[Update of navigation data from 430 to 820 was also a success, but then everyone knows how to do that by now don't they? :funk: )

Tell

Staff member
James

Well you have imported the Poi's then but got a lot of other junk transited from Garman. The Poi import is really for the x,y coordinate rather then destinations with addresses.

In the thread

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438041

ASC format I give which I gleaned from a translated VW documentation. The a,b,c fields that I fill is where where the address and telephone go. May be it's that format you need. I edited the address to the revised destination import website so you might find some documention there on the format you are using and field positions. I use ASC for the destinations with x,y coordinates. For some UK addresses I put them in by hand but the vast number I imported. The speed camera POIs as documented on this thread. I haven't imported any other types of POIs.

Think you will need to categorise your import into poi types and import each separately by file. The fabled fish and chip shops etc... I did spend a lot of time getting my co pilot destinations in which I exported. A false start looking at vcards, I wouldn't bother looking at them.

Btw it's moved on from 820 now if you look at the Seatcupra thread on where from, its 0915 now

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=388586&page=37

BigginJames

Nov 13, 2017
Selby
The National Trust/Fish n Chips/etc have gone in OK from CSV's download from t'internet. It's the Garmin's address book that needs some work. I'll re-read your previous posts on this Tell.

[Edit]

OK, read your linked thread Importing Satnav Destinations from External Satnavs to the Car's System again. You say that now the address book is imported as POIs I would do well to go through each of them and save them as a Destination, done manually on the Seat satnav in the car, not by editing some file and importing it. And you also say that address Destinations are probably better entered manually anyway as you then get precision about which side of the street you're aiming for.

I think I also need to massage the Favorites extracted from the Garmin (Current.gpx) prior to using the VW tool to create the MIB2 import file.

:think:
I'm a bit confused about the difference between POIs and Destinations, but hope all will become clearer when I actually get to use this thing for real rather than just sat in the garage at 11pm after the wife's gone to bed! :sleeping:

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Glad you are making progress.

The POIs / Destination thing, yes I was a bit surprised when "Ernie" who use to post on the other board we don't talk about said that Skoda people were using POIs as destinations... that was before I got the car when I was looking at importing destinations. Basically you can't import destinations into the destination database apart from using VCards and you need a separate VCard file for each destination... after much experimentation I concluded it wasn't going to work for my 150 destinations, too much like hard work.

The Skoda user secret if indeed it is a secret and that's the one I've adopted is that you import your destinations as POIs with the coordinates as per my post on importing destinations. Having imported them into the system you then pick each one off and save it as a destinations. Now that's where you would get your phone numbers in. Now I don't know whether Skoda people do the last bit or not but that's how you get your destinations in if you have a lot of them via importing them as POIs via the VW site. Just note that the import has the lat / lon order swapped from normal.

The advantage of this method is if you change cars to another VAG group one you just import the destination POIs in again, pick them off and save as a destination. The method also allows all your destinations to be seen on the cars map which otherwise they wouldn't. At that point the car's screen starts to look like a standard satnav where favourites are shown on the screen like Google Maps etc.

ALSO you can only show up to ten POI types on the screen so that also caps the number of POI sets you can work with. Basically I'm using five on imported Poi's and five others are the built in ones that I display on the map.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
So if you got to this point and VW haven't put their page back you might wish to look at this

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

The contingency suggestion of Poispect0r will work for the standard Mib2 and Mib2 High. It has been tested with the standard mib2 - give it a go with 10 records or so (free).

I can report the developer has now got the program working for me with the Mib2 High and I've just imported all European safety cameras and my 200 or so favourites. So it's running with about 48,000 POIs in it. I put the unit into advance and demo mode then let it navigate towards home. It warbled at each cameras as expected and at the right distance. I found a fragment of code on GitHub which did the SD card import and gave it to him - he then identified the issue in his program and fixed it. There was typo in the program as far as the Mib2 High. The program was first developed after VW pulled the plug on supporting the RNS510 for poi import just as they have done MIB POI uploads via SD. They support Carnet if you have it but no warblers allowed. The developers program now covers RNS510 to Mib2 and Mib2.5 - warbles supported if the unit does.

I will document on a further thread. The program is available from the developers website 9 Euros to the development fund or a higher donation. One of these community things.

For those that want to experiment before coughing up... Here's ten records that can be put into a file with the extension .asc also use the built in icon just for this. Follow the link at the bottom. Until you pay / donate the program limits you to a token number of records.

14.30467,46.62362,A KLAGENFURT Hotel Sandwirth,A,B,C
14.30298,46.62433,A KLAGENFURT Parking for Hotel Hiligengeistplatz,A,B,C
13.05037,47.73615,A SALZBURG Esso on border road,A,B,C
4.95054,51.30373,B BELGIUM Fuel E34 Route,A,B,C
3.33896,50.61982,B BELGUIM ... FRANCE BORDER,A,B,C
6.1534,50.75432,B BELGUIM GERMANY NORTH ROUTE SHELL,A,B,C
3.73613,51.01963,B Gent - Campanile,A,B,C
5.079962,50.142992,B WANLIN IN,A,B,C
5.077577,50.145079,B WANLIN OUT,A,B,C
7.07463,49.91638,D BERNKASTEL-KUES Tourist Information kastel-Kues,A,B,C

It will delete any user Pois you might have stored at the minute thou, so you will need your original files to get back to else you will loose what you have at the minute. It supports the warble sound if you toggle it on via distance as far the MIB2 standard is concerned.

With version 6.4 and above, if the MIB2High box is toggled on, the output directory adjustment that you needed to go on the VW output is done for you. That adjustment with the MIB2High, drop down to the Mib2High directory and copy that to the top and get rid of the rest.

I create a directory called temp, drag the POI and meta file to there. Go into temp, go to MIB2High and drag the POI and meta file to the route, then you must delete Temp else it won't import MIB2 correctly. This has now been fixed in 6.4 by toggling the box for those with MIB2High if standard, leave the box open.

My documentation on post 2 below on this thread which is the equivalent for this thread but using Poinspect0r or PI for short rather than the now defunct VW site:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

Last edited:

Krafty_Bizkit

Mar 15, 2019
South London
That appears to be an archive web page not connected to VW servers... that was found in 2017. Least thats my interpretation been a while since I have used the old VW site. Uploaded 10 test records and it bombed out.
You are correct, the web.archive.org site takes snapshots of websites and hosts dummy versions for nostalgia

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists