Can't Find LED Indicator Bulbs Anywhere

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Hello,

I've been looking around trying to swap out my tail indicator bulbs for LED bulbs. Had no issues finding knock off white bulbs claiming to be indicators. But as you all know, the original bulb in the SEAT LEON is itself, orange.

Whilst i started to have this problem, I have been into several shops, looked at lots of online part suppliers, and realized that nowhere stocks the indicator bulbs for the front of the car. The LED indicator bubs that came as part of he technology pack in my 1.8 TSI SC would appear not to exist. Does this mean that when it comes to having one repaired i have to go to seat to get a whole new headlight fitted or something?

I am quite happy to order some cheap LED bulbs fr the tail lights, provided I can't find some in the right colour. however, i am a little concerned that i cant find the LED's that came with the car when i bought it. granted those LED's will be CANBUS and will need to be fitted by someone that an sort that out. But it would be nice to know i can get those bulbs without having to go to SEAT for them.

So if anyone has made this modification already, can you let me know what bulbs you have used? That would be great. Also, if anyone has had to replace their front indicators yet, can you share your experience with getting those changed?

Thanks in advance.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
What year is the car ?
The LED headlights have led indicators.

Do you have a car without the technology pack ( std halogen headlights ) ?

Last edited:

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
What year is the car ?
Guessing it is pre-facelift because the facelift headlights have led indicators.

It's 2014, Mk3 pre facelift. It doesn't have the LED lights around the outside of the headlight cluster, Just a single bulb, however, that bulb is LED. That is the one that I can't seem to find.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Auto Bulbs Direct. Not the cheapest by any means, but they're reliable and very bright, and considering it's a bit of a hassle replacing the rear indicators it makes sense to pay more for good, reliable ones.

Not entirely sure what you mean about the front lights though, if your car has LED headlights it'll have LED front indicators integrated into the headlight units, if it doesn't it won't in which case you just need an LED equivalent to the halogen bulb it already has. Again, ABD would be a good place to source them.

I've used Horizon LEDs in the past too for my interior LEDs and they've been great, no idea what their exterior bulbs are like though.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If it is an LED fitted during manufacture then it won't be replaceable, either the whole headlight or minimum of PCB would be required. However, barring premature failure, the LED should outlast the car.

If it is actually a tungsten lamp then it's the usual 50 pence replacement and 20 minutes of fiddly fingers to get the lamp holder out.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
ABD are suggesting the front indicators on a non led headlight car are 581 bulbs

That's the problem, those websites thin its the non tech pack model with standard filament bulbs.

If it is an LED fitted during manufacture then it won't be replaceable, either the whole headlight or minimum of PCB would be required. However, barring premature failure, the LED should outlast the car.

If it is actually a tungsten lamp then it's the usual 50 pence replacement and 20 minutes of fiddly fingers to get the lamp holder out.

Figured that might be the case, I didn't expect the LED to fail before I got rid of the car, however I would prefer to swap the filament bulbs in the tail for LED ones. I've seen some that have been modified to fit the 12v sockets, but so far hey are all white or red. Would be nice to see if anyone has made the modification already and has some they could suggest buying.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
I have ordered some, I will report back to let you know how I get on.

There's a guide on this forum somewhere for replacing the rear indicators that I found really helpful, I thought I had it bookmarked but seemingly not, but a search should find it. The rear clusters detach/attach at a somewhat odd angle so the guide is useful in showing you which direction to pull/push in.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Just replaced the bulbs with these. Took my 5 minutes to swap them in, much brighter, no warning symbols and instant on off bulbs just like the ones on the side and front. Car is now fully LED and looking smart. I can post a comparison before and after if people want to see that.

Thanks for the help with suggestions etc.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Good choice, I used one of their white ones to replace a (not particularly cheap) eBay LED that failed after less than a year, it's much brighter and produces a much cleaner, whiter light.

Not cheap, but you do seem to get what you pay for.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.